Issues with 97 Speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirch

This is my first experience with jet boats. I've had my 97 Speedster out twice and had the same issues and am wondering if this is common.
1). Have to hold the throtles while driving or they drop all the way down.
2). Sucked debris (Palm fronds and old tow ropes) into the starboard jet and lost power. The grate over the jets doesn't seem work too well. Is this common? Is there a modification to cover it better?
3). Doesn't run well at lower power. Runs fine at higher RPMs. Reading the other posts in this forum (which is great btw) it seems like I may need some carb cleaning here. One engine or the other stalls frequently at low RPMs. Makes skiing/tubing tough.
Do these things happen to everyone?

Welcome to the seadoo forum Kirch. The control handles need to be removed from the boat,(2 sets of 4 screws hold them on). On the side of the throttle control is a small screw that adjusts the friction of the handles. the debris is something you'll have to keep an eye out for to prevent anything from getting sucked in. For the 3rd problem, it sounds like you need a carburetor cleaning. Just be care full not to tear or damage the diaphragms, or you have to buy a rebuild kit for them.

Karl

Thanks. Good info on the throttle cables. I had the throttle apart when I re-did the upholstery on the seats (not an easy job, but it came out great).

When you say carburetor cleaning do you you mean just take it apart clean all the parts and put back together?

Thanks. Good info on the throttle cables. I had the throttle apart when I re-did the upholstery on the seats (not an easy job, but it came out great).

When you say carburetor cleaning do you you mean just take it apart clean all the parts and put back together?

Yes...this is what is needed. be care full not to damage or tear the diaphragms, or you 'll be buying new rebuild kits for them.

Karl

redo upholstery

I just bought a '97, and the seats need new upholstery. did you buy new seats or just cover over the old? I'm interested in trying to cover them. How did you go about doing it?

Thanks for any help!

Throttles

Not sure if the later boats are the same, but on my 95 when you remove the throttles, be very careful to retain the aluminum backing plates into which the 4 screws fasten (under the edge of the hull). If one of them falls loose, you will never get it back. Best thing is to unscrew the 4 screws partially and feel around underneath, then duct tape the 2 retaining plates. After you remove the 4 screws, find a way to permanently attach the 2 plates. The are glued in place but the glue hardens and looses its grip. Also banging around the whole throttle assembly can knock them loose. I drilled holes and ran a nut and bolt into each plate.

About the lever friction, I would use some thread locker on the adjustment screw when you figure out the right tension. Otherwise 3 months later its redo time.

Did you change your spark plugs AND gap them correctly ? From the factory the are not correctly gapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back