98 GTX LTD.....carb tuning (small issues)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Grim

So after about two years of rebuilding /piddling with the ski, with a whole lot of help from this forum, it is finally running pretty darn good. I took it out today for about 3 hrs. Did well but noticed a few things. It doesn't have a lot of power at the low RPM band, after about 3500/4000 RPMs it picks up and runs like a banshee! I notice in the 2000 to 3500 band it has a very slight shudder/surge, not too noticeable though. Reminds me of a spark plug missing.
For back ground I did rebuild both carbs with OSD back to basic kits ,and all the number are set stock. Full tank of gas too! I have read a bunch of threads and a sticky or two on carbs.
My instinct is to check and see if I am lean or rich at the low side and adjust the low settings from there, but I know several of you frown on this. Is there another thing I can try to even out the low end?

Thanks for your input.

I have been dealing with the same issue. I even bought the external rectifier and not much better. Took my accessory pump off and ensured all openings were clear and installed a new accessory pump diaphragm. I also used a back to OEM carb kit and have completely went through the fuel system. I'm also wondering if I should tweak my low speed setting. Pulling the choke at all only kills it on the low end, so I'm thinking I'm rich also. I can feather the throttle a little bit and it runs great the rest of the range.

One other thing that just happened. When I was on the water the idle was around 1150 so I bumped it up to 1420. Ran it a little to verify idle was set. When I got home and put it on the water hose to flush, it was around 3200 RPM so I adjusted it down just a tad, When I touched the gas it shot up to about 6000 RPM, runaway I think. I pulled the lanyard and it shut off, cranked it right back up and it was fine. I also noticed that when I rev up it doesn't drop very fast.

What do you guys think?

I will say this again...
Set the 951 idle to 2,800 rpm out of the water or it can runaway, this will be about 1,400 rpm in the water.

It sounds like it could be your RAVE valves hanging up.
Also these all will have a weird rough burble in the 2500-3000 range when cruising and nothing is wrong.

I will say this again...
Set the 951 idle to 2,800 rpm out of the water or it can runaway, this will be about 1,400 rpm in the water.

It sounds like it could be your RAVE valves hanging up.
Also these all will have a weird rough burble in the 2500-3000 range when cruising and nothing is wrong.
Im at 300K now , so Ill go down 200. I can pull the raves and see if they are dirty. thanks

Back