Installing Hydroturf

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

riffe723

Just a question before I start installing my hydro turf. After pulling up the stock mats on my 95 xp, filling the holes with bondo glass. I noticed that the gel coat is textured under the mats.

Are you all sanding down the texture then placing the mats? Or just placing the mats right over the textured gelcoat?

Just a question before I start installing my hydro turf. After pulling up the stock mats on my 95 xp, filling the holes with bondo glass. I noticed that the gel coat is textured under the mats.

Are you all sanding down the texture then placing the mats? Or just placing the mats right over the textured gelcoat?

Removing the texture will provide a better adhesive surface for the mats. I'm sure some people just stick it right on, but I'd smooth things out before installing.

One precautionary note, if you sand it smooth, you are likely to go through to the fiberglass, which in that case you'd likely need to re gelcoat the foot wells. I found this out doing a resto on my 97' GTX, but I was re gelcoating the entire ski anyways.

Attachments

• P1010200.JPG
    P1010200.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 52
  • P5060212.JPG
    P5060212.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 50
  • P6160223.JPG
    P6160223.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 49
I was not thinking sand to get rid of it, I was thinking sand just to knock it down for better adhesion

Here's my trick, blue painters tape and a hole punch. Fill with bondo glass, as soon as you finish the last hole on that side lift the tape, take a straight blade and carefully cut the "extra off".Then wipe down with acetone or lacquer thinner. Lay out the mats, trace around them with a pencil and and peel and stick.
1546398471385.png

1546398489026.png

1546398572395.png

1546398507853.png

1546398530152.png

You are all making this too difficult.
Drill out the old rivets and punch the remaining rivet through. Then mix up the Bondoglass and put it on using a single edge razor blade. Once It starts to gel up cut off the excess with the blade and let it set up for the rest of the day. The next day give it a wipe down with acetone and install the HydroTurf.

I have done over 20 skis this way without a single issue.

If you did sand through the gelcoat there is no reason to regelcoat under the mats.

I actually used epoxy to fill the holes. Gave a quick buzz with the wire wheel attachment on my Dremel and a quick wipe down and your good to go. I didn’t matter to me that the color of the epoxy didn’t match no one will ever see it.

You are all making this too difficult.
Drill out the old rivets and punch the remaining rivet through. Then mix up the Bondoglass and put it on using a single edge razor blade. Once It starts to gel up cut off the excess with the blade and let it set up for the rest of the day. The next day give it a wipe down with acetone and install the HydroTurf.

I have done over 20 skis this way without a single issue.

If you did sand through the gelcoat there is no reason to regelcoat under the mats.

Sorry, I'm anal about excess showing outside the mats. Like I tell my kids...sorry doesn't cut it. I'm sure your method works but the one time I slip and get it outside the line I'll be pissed.

Sorry, I'm anal about excess showing outside the mats. Like I tell my kids...sorry doesn't cut it. I'm sure your method works but the one time I slip and get it outside the line I'll be pissed.

No problem at all racer. If you do it the way I suggested no excess is left or shown when the mats are on. It actually comes out just like yours only without the tape. The next time I do one I will be sure to take pictures.

I counted 75+ holes in my skis. I just putty em' up with some good material, scrape it off, hit it with a touch of sandpaper and I'm done. Out of about 4 done so far nuthin is showing. Even with my wife's bad eye installing the mats. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back