2003 GTX DI Cosmetics

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
I am in the completion stage of the Resto of the 2003 GTX DI. Finally got the engine back and installed and put the ski on the water Sunday. After the usual checks I rode it for about 45 minutes off and on. Now I am doing the cosmetics which seems to be what people worry more about rather than reliability. :) I removed the riveted mats and will fill the holes with with the Waterproof Bondo. My wife is in charge always of installing the mats but I clean the hell out of the channels before she does that. Getting the brown off the gelcoat takes a bit of work. I use Star Brite Boat Hull cleaner and either blue or green scotch-brite, miracle eraser works pretty good it just doen't hold together like it used to. The Star-Brite cleaner has to have sulfuric acid content because it will make you choke if you get too close so be careful with that stuff. It's mean but it works. :)

I'll be doing some polishing on the hull. I find the Mequires Ultra-Cut kicks azz. I don't like spending time polishing. :)

I removed the hood.... what a pain !! I needed to get to the INFO Gauge to replace the flim. I ordered another gauge but we'll see how this works. I try to seal the gauge up and make them look nice and it is always a challenge. My main goal is to have it work and be easily readable but to avoid the water/humidity collecting on the face of the gauge.

I am going to try a couple of things to bring back the finish on the rear grab handle. We'll see if the Soft Scrubb and blue or green scotch-brite get the job done on the black. I have other stuff that reall works well I use on the Avalanche that I can useif needed.

The handle bar pad is coming apart to I'll get some material to fix it. I bought a pad off Ebay. Wrong color but I don't care I'm gonna cover it. Besides they are 20 years old and none of the material is gonna be in good shape. I'll post some pictures as I go along.

GTX DI MATT CHANNEL (2).JPEG

Attachments

• 2003 GTX DI Clean UP Engine Bay (2).JPEG
    2003 GTX DI Clean UP Engine Bay (2).JPEG
    176.5 KB · Views: 8
  • GTX DI  INFO GAUGE SCREEN (1).JPEG
    GTX DI INFO GAUGE SCREEN (1).JPEG
    180.4 KB · Views: 7
  • GTX DI  REAR GRAP HANDLE (1).JPEG
    GTX DI REAR GRAP HANDLE (1).JPEG
    157.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Hull Polish Cleaner Compound Meguires.jpg
    Hull Polish Cleaner Compound Meguires.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Boat Hull Cleaner Star Brite.jpg
    Boat Hull Cleaner Star Brite.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Well it does float and move on the water. After break-in I'll do some light performance checks. It doesn't seem to be the "BARGE" I expected it to be. The 130hp DI seems to get the job done. I'm looking forward to measuring the top speed and handling. I don't expect much handling due to the OPAS system. If I was keeping the ski I would probably remove OPAS.

2003GTX DI Water Test (3).JPEG
2003GTX DI Water Test (6).JPEG

Nice work!

SES finally shipped my warranty repair and I plan to put it in next week. If I am still having problems with it, I'm going to drive it to LA for you to fix! You seem to have plenty of success with these finicky DI's.

Nice work!

SES finally shipped my warranty repair and I plan to put it in next week. If I am still having problems with it, I'm going to drive it to LA for you to fix! You seem to have plenty of success with these finicky DI's.
I'm still finding my way. :) I do know a few things to look for and they have a few guys on the forum that kick azz on DI's. First thing- I'd recommend taking a small pressure pump gun Like a reversable Mitey-Vac to check the injection oil feed check valves.

Did you send your injectors and air injectors out for servicing?
Be very very careful with this lil sumbish. They are getting more proud of these everyday. If you bump this installing the engine, it will break. Be Careful

2003 GTX DI Engine & Hose Connections Rave Solenoid.JPEG

My wife came outside to do the mats for me. She is so fast. I told her... I'm workin mah azz off half the day and you like "BAM" Done !!! Looks great. I tried cleaning the Rear Grab Handle with 2 products and neither one did much so I cleaned it and used F-11 on it. Hood is going back on tomorrow with the info gauge repair. A little progression on the jet ski journey over the last month or so.

2003 GTX DI Before Cleaning (2).JPEG

Rear Grab Handle and Bacon mat. :)

GTX DI  REAR GRAP HANDLE (2).JPEG

Mat Removal and Prep

GTX DI MATT CHANNEL (1).JPEG

The Finished Product so far. Grab Handle and Mats Complete.
2003 GTX DI Mat Rear Grab Handle (1).JPEG

From the Rear. My wife does good work. :D

2003 GTX DI Mat  (5).JPEG

And She made us Muffalattas on Italian Bread for lunch. :D Emmmm.... Emmmm....

Sissy Muffalatta.JPEG

The 2003 GTX has the most miserable hood I have yet to encounter. Never had one you hit with a mallett. :) I had to fix some of the plastic attachment points for the small screws ( I didn't break them) Getting this hood back together was a pain. Trying to be gentle and not break anything it was very tedious I had the most difficult time getting the shock compressed. I almost had to make a special tool but in the end I used piece of broomstick I had for another purpose. It was the perfect size and took me about 10 seconds. LOL What an adventure I don't want to experience again any time soon. You gotta take everything apart to get remove the gauges. No fun. :)

On thing I dislike but I am getting better at is polishing the hull. I hate it because there is little room to work and sticker are delicate. I'm almost done with the GTX. The black looked pitiful. It's in progress but coming along. I don't sand I use the Ultra Cut Mequiar's. I'm trying to find an additional machine to use but this 6" with the wool pad and Ultra Cut makes quick work but it is heavy and single speed.

BEFORE
2003 GTX DI Polish Bottom (before).jpg

Difficult to see the level of shine because the everything is being reflected. LOL Coming along though. Problem is all the differnt levels of surfaces and nooks and crannies. LOL

2003 GTX DI Polish Bottom (2).JPEG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back