impeller and wear ring replacement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

al45

user error I think caused some damage to impeller and wear ring. I can't do it myself. It's at the shop now they will give me a price quote tomorrow. Can anyone give me an idea how much it might cost? Hoping to have an idea when they call with the damage

I say user error because it must be my fault. But the hinge broke on the hydrosurge grate and rattled around in there.

Thanks for any input

Not to sure what the dealer (stealer) may charge you but a NEW wear ring is about $34 plus shipping...Let us know how it goes...

I believe that here in Florida with labor @ $99.00 per hour it cost about $450.00 to $600.00.

I hope this helps.

Karl

Not to sure what the dealer (stealer) may charge you but a NEW wear ring is about $34 plus shipping...Let us know how it goes...

If you can find a Mercury M2 Jet Drive Wear Ring Kit for $34, by all means, please let those of us with the M2 drive know. The cheapest I've ever found is ~$490. The impeller is another $455, so coupled with labor (1.5 hrs @ $110), you're probably looking at ~$1100 to replace it all through a dealer.

Great.... I was figuring he'd come back at 500 or so for the whole thing.

I'll post what happens tomorrow

I just got my 08 speedster out of the shop today...to replace the wear ring with labor was 292.77. The mech said if the Impeller was to be replaced as well would have been another 300 parts/labor. But this is obviously a different boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 4-tec engines and the M2 engines are different animals. Same idea as a seadoo but the M2 has a Mercury engine.

Karl

Still waiting for the call for the $ damages. I'm at their mercy right now.

The boat runs fine as is. I'm new to all this so there may be some slight cavitation when it gets out of the hole, but there is no rattling or real high rpms as I have read with others.

But looking at the impeller it's definitely nicked up.

Given the above, if it's replaced should I expect to notice a difference?

The damage happened so quickly after buying the boat that maybe what I think is smooth isn't and with a new impeller I'll notice a big difference?

Cost to replace impeller and wear ring

Well I got a message from the repairs shop. Parts are about 480 each for wear ring and impeller. Labor 2.5 hours. total cost about 1,300.

I really had no idea, but that's about 800 more than I was hoping for at least.

I was hoping to get one more piece of advice on this. Like I said in my last reply, I don't really notice anything wrong at this point with performance. We've been enjoying the boat.

That said I don't disagree with the repair shop that it is damaged and should be replaced.

But is it a bad idea to hold off on the repair for now? Maybe use the boat the rest of the summer and see if I notice anything drastically wrong?

Bottom line question, do I cause any more damage (more $$$ repairs) if I hold off on this current fix and continue to use the boat?

Thank you all for any thoughts you can give.

WOW...worry part I have with you if you refuse the service, is, you get your boat back with pumps off, had it happen to buddy at Chaparells...he rufuse service, they gave him vts system in box, with rave valve cups, no spark plugs..etc, A MESS...but, you might bounce of rev limiter at WOT. Just wont have the thrust, but cant see hurt'n it, doin 4-5k rpm..

Well the boat went in for an annual service (cost will be about $400 for that) part of it was to check impeller etc. It is a reputable place so I would hope they give me the boat back in one piece at least.

If I take it back without fixing it now, what's the worst that will happen (because I assume the worst will happen with this)? If it's just that I may start to notice increased cavitation at worst, then maybe I'll wait, until it gets to the point that I notice a bigger loss in performance. But if the worst is that this happens and I potentially cause the need for more repairs, then I need to be smart about getting it fixed now.

thanks,

If your boat is performing as well as it did the day you got it, I don't think using it for the rest of the season will do anymore damage. Someone that knows more than me will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong, but if its only a nicked up impeller/trashed wear ring your boat may not be running at maximum efficiency, but it buys some time to budget in the $1300.

When you do get the repairs done, ask the dealer if they can 'repitch' (don't know the technical term but they take the nicks out/make it like new) the impeller. It could save you half the cost, if not more, of a new one. Likewise, if you get a new one, ask for the old one so you can locate someone to do it for you and have a spare.

Well Jareaver you were pretty much dead on with your cost prediction.

Sounds like for parts they are charging me right on with what you predicted. They are charging me 2.5 hours of labor instead of your 1.5 hour estimate, but I'm not going to fight with them over that.

These guys are reputable and I can't do it myself. So I'm going to have them do it now.

Out of curiosity though, if I were to do it myself (if I could do it myself) obviously I would save about $250 in labor. But what about the parts? would I be able to buy them somewhere for say half what I'm being charged? Or would I be buying them somewhere for about $400 each anyway? And then I would have to buy tools and other supplies.

I guess for whatever it's worth to make me feel better, even if I could do it myself it doesn't seem like I would save more than a few hundred dollars??

I will definitely ask for the old impeller and see if I can get it reconditioned for the future. Do you think it's worth/possible trying to sell it? Maybe I can make a few bucks towards this repair bill that is otherwise making me hate the fact that I bought a boat.

Thanks,

The dealer seems to be spot on for the pricing of the parts. I found my pricing at crowleymarine.com, and they are the cheapest I have found for the do it yourself mercury mechanic. To be honest, I used the 1.5 hrs b/c I read on another forum that that would be an approximate amount of time for a dealer to do the repairs.

I have not done the repairs myself, but if and when I ever need to, I think with the help from this forum, and the M2 jet drive service/repair manual avaliable to premium members here, that I could tackle the job.

Unfortunately, for this job, the parts are what kills the budget, not the labor hours.

I see those reconditioned impellers for so cheap also. But I can never understand it enough to tell if those apply to the Merc M2 engine or if they are for jet skis?

It was my thought that those $25 reconditioned ones are maybe for jet skis, and what I need is something different for the Merc? On that SBT site they don't offer anything related to Merc.

But yeah if I could get a used one for 25 and they are charging me $480 new, then it gets my attention.

It seems most of the readers on this site don't have the merc M2 I guess.

The dealer seems to be spot on for the pricing of the parts. I found my pricing at crowleymarine.com, and they are the cheapest I have found for the do it yourself mercury mechanic. To be honest, I used the 1.5 hrs b/c I read on another forum that that would be an approximate amount of time for a dealer to do the repairs.

I have not done the repairs myself, but if and when I ever need to, I think with the help from this forum, and the M2 jet drive service/repair manual avaliable to premium members here, that I could tackle the job.

Unfortunately, for this job, the parts are what kills the budget, not the labor hours.

Wow, I am just doing an impellr job after doing a Moonraker with my 2001 Islandia and after hoovering up rock and sand through the hyrdosuk grate while doing 40 mph, I lost power and torque.

I was even thinking of a how to as I learned a whole bunch of stuff to do the job! And let me tell you no dealer can to the ob on a 7 ear old boat for 1.5 hour period!. I have spent 2 days on it. Much time spen McGuyvering items to get the job done. I am not finished yet but I have the Jet pump stripped. I am still trying to get a broken grate bolt out and then I will be able to start assembling.

Yes as people have pointed out the wear ring is really expensive. Its not really a plastic ring as is the rotax drive but a complete aluminum housing " The Wear Ring" It cost about 440.00 alone and I got min from BAM Maring as they provide a good discount (rare in the boat biz). I decided to go with a SOLAS impeller as it was about 100 dollars cheaper than factory and should provide better performance. (We'll See) .

Therefore the two parts alone will cost around 800 for the the m2 without any other item that may be needed like pump oil, pump seals, broken bolts etc.

In short the job is dooable but requires some specialized tools to complete.
You will need a tool to lock the impeller shaft (I bought on at 70 bucks but now that I have it it can be built.) You need an impeller nut tool, about 85 buks from mercury, and I can tell you with 100% you will need one period. I had a 1/2 wrench and 2 foot breaker bar and a whole bunch of grunting to break the impeller nut!

But I am ahead of myself. ALL bolts, I mean ALL bolts have been loctited from factory and may have corrosion from the aluminum castings. Therefore as a Mercury mechanic told me you need heat them and have patience on them. This I can confirm 100%, you will need a propane torch with a long nozzle and some heat shielding to make sure you dont burn the fiberglass. If you dont use heat you will break bolts! I know. If you break the main bolts you are in for a painful hurtin to get repaired. So patience is key. I got my 4 main bolts off successfully.

Lastly I had to create my own tool to remove my impeller as it was siezed onto the shaft. Dont use a hammer and drift here as you could cause damage to the pinion gear or bearings. It took me hours to get the impeller off most of the time fiddling with my custom tool in conjunction with a harmonic balance puller I managed to remove the impeller.

Its all dooable but there are issues to deal with. I am going to take pictures of the job.

I figure the complete job from a dealer would cost between 1200.00 to 1600.00 bucks.

Well to follow up I got the boat back from the mechanic. They did the job for $1,300. New wear ring, impeller, plus the related parts.

I have to say I'm happy with the job they did. Been out on the boat 3 times since and I notice a positive difference in performance.

Bummed to spend 1,300 but I think it was the correct price for a mechanic to get the parts and do the job.

They gave me back the old wear ring and impeller. Does anyone know if you can get them refurbished? And/or if it is worth doing? Maybe it's worth doing so I can have some replacements ready next time??
Thanks,

The wear ring is only worth like $40.00 new...so trash the old one. The impeller can be re-furbished at " www.sbtontheweb.com " I think they charge like $35.00 or something.
I keep forgetting you have the M2 version, and not the rotax...so these prices won't apply....
Karl

Last edited by a moderator:
The wear ring is only worth like $40.00 new...so trash the old one. The impeller can be re-furbished at " www.sbtontheweb.com " I think they charge like $35.00 or something.

Karl

Unfortunately SBT does not service the Mercury impellers and there is no wear ring on this drive, it is the whole housing. Try contacting a Sugar Sand dealer as they still use these engines, and may be able to direct you to someone who can refurbish the parts.

Aaron:cheers:

Well to follow up I got the boat back from the mechanic. They did the job for $1,300. New wear ring, impeller, plus the related parts.

I have to say I'm happy with the job they did. Been out on the boat 3 times since and I notice a positive difference in performance.

Bummed to spend 1,300 but I think it was the correct price for a mechanic to get the parts and do the job.

They gave me back the old wear ring and impeller. Does anyone know if you can get them refurbished? And/or if it is worth doing? Maybe it's worth doing so I can have some replacements ready next time??
Thanks,

I was on the mark for the price would between 1200 and 1600. The wear ring is not a ring, its a cast aluminum housing. I don't think there is an easy way to rebuild the aluminum back to spec, at least not cost effectively. The impeller most likely could be refurbished but you need to find someone who rebuilds the M2 impeller. I think I am going to clean up mine and put it on my desk as a reminder of my foolish ways!

I chose the solas impeller for my M2 replacement. I dont know if I will be able to tell if there is a performance difference but I will assume so as the impeller is a little different. I has rounded leading edges that are sharper as well most likely to prevent cavitation during acceleration. I will let everyone know.

PS I noticed the BAM marine parts pages are no longer showing the 6 tine fixed grate and the rock grate as parts anymore. I ordered mine a few months ago but did not have it on. I wish I had because the rocks I fished out of the impeller would not have fit through the grate. I also noticed when I took of the hydrosuk grate that one of the spring tines was broken off and most likely got gobbled up by the impeller.

Will be getting the boat in the water for a test drive this week and will followup with the results on the changes.

Thanks,

Al45

Can you tell me whether they replaced the two bearing sleeves in the stator?

reconditioned wear ring

After some google searching, and a few phone calls these folks will rebuild the wear ring with a stainless steel insert, but it's about the same cost as new. (450.00) There may be a reliability increase with the stainless insert though, makeing it worth while. http://www.outlaweagle.com/

They specialize in aluminum river boats so they should know there stuff. They also stock a variety of impellers, from the stock one to something he called a "high swirl" for a better hole shot.

Aaron

thanks I'm going to checkout that stainless steel refurb. I wish I knew there were other options on the impeller. I'm sure there will be a next time. But with the new impeller I see a good performance improvement so the family is all happy.

Ibjeepin I don't know if they replaced that. I'm going to call and ask the mechanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back