Idea for Jet Pump Water Intake "GRILL"

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
the internet made my potential used boat purchases a lot bigger.

there are waaaayyyyy better deals on Sea-Doo boats in the USA.
I just looked at a older challenger locally today, scratched up f/g on the bottom,missing cup holder, small (85hp?) engine, ripped cover and rub strips that were coming off - he wanted 6900 dollars. :(

the internet made my potential used boat purchases a lot bigger.

there are waaaayyyyy better deals on Sea-Doo boats in the USA.
I just looked at a older challenger locally today, scratched up f/g on the bottom,missing cup holder, small (85hp?) engine, ripped cover and rub strips that were coming off - he wanted 6900 dollars. :(

theres better deals in canada then that....... you can get a 2003 sporster 4 tec for 10,000, you can get 1999 speedsters for 6900 and they have twin engines

I haven't seen any smolin' deals around my area yet - but I'm hoping for a well maintained and looked after challenger 110 hp for the 4500 - 5000.

I'd like my frst boat to be an older 2 stroke single of twin.
I'm just not interested in a 4 stroke yet.

I haven't seen any smolin' deals around my area yet - but I'm hoping for a well maintained and looked after challenger 110 hp for the 4500 - 5000.

I'd like my frst boat to be an older 2 stroke single of twin.
I'm just not interested in a 4 stroke yet.
unless it a money thing go 4 stroke..... WAY more reliable. check out kijiji that's where i found my boat.

4 stroke?........

ou........I don't know about that sporsterjoel. I'm a 2 stroke junky, in boats anyway, for now.

The 4 strokes are more reliable? Maybe. But the last time I was at the marina, I saw just as many, if not more 4-TEC's in there. It was probably all those supercharged models coming in to change the ceramic to stainless on the slip washers.

I like the 4-TEC, I just have one problem. The computer that controls it!:ack: My 110 hp can go wrong and the only thing that has a sensor on it, is the temperature. But nothing to throw a code and put me in "limp mode". The 787 has 2 carbs, a rotary valve, tuned pipe, magneto for power and PTO for shaft horsepower. That's it!....what could go wrong? No super charger, no water pump, no oil filters to replace, no cooling system to maintain with antifreeze, no oil coolers .......but most of all, no 14 sensors telling an electrical maze of circuitry what to do............I love it!

Matt, the INTERNET makes the world small...when I think of Canada, I think of clean lakes, and fresh running streams... I forget it has the ocean on either side too... my bad.

Karl

hahaha I wish we had clean lakes!! Most of the ones around me have swimming bans!!!! At least you guys down south think we are nice and clean!! The problem with the oceans around us is that they are cold as hell!!

Matt, the INTERNET makes the world small...when I think of Canada, I think of clean lakes, and fresh running streams... I forget it has the ocean on either side too... my bad.

Karl

A quick look at the following link and we can see that Canada has the world's longest salt water coastline. A surprise to me is that the salt water coastline in Canada is more than 10 times as long as that in the US (I guess we have a lot more islands and coves and such plus all the north).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_length_of_coastline

Our water here on the coast were up to 91*f this summer...and they get as cold as 62*f, in the winter...

Karl

Our water here on the coast were up to 91*f this summer...and they get as cold as 62*f, in the winter...

Karl

I am lucky to get 78 on the river...it is usually 73-75. I don't even want to guess the ocean temp in the summer but its probably low to mid 60s. In the winter they are just above freezing!

Matt

That's why I live here in Florida...I wear shorts all year long...except in the dead of winter for like 2 weeks in January, where it get's to a freezing 40-50*f for a couple days...:rofl: Than I have to wear long pants!

Karl

Why don't you rub it in a little bit more! Its starting to be pants weather around here right now!! I'm still brave though....got a wetsuit and hopefully I will get one more month on the water!

I'm not sure how long I'll keep going out this year, but we have a heat warning for the weekend, supposed to be 105 or so at the lake with water temps in the 80s

The salt water surface temps where I was this summer were between 68 and 74. The water temp guage on my speedster was always registering about 5 - 7 degrees too high though. I found this out when it was telling me the water was 80 one day so I got a pool thermometer and it was really only 74. Still not bad though and comfortable for tubing. I'm not sure 91 would be all that refreshing on a really hot day (but I may just be saying that because I am jealous).

The salt water surface temps where I was this summer were between 68 and 74. The water temp guage on my speedster was always registering about 5 - 7 degrees too high though. I found this out when it was telling me the water was 80 one day so I got a pool thermometer and it was really only 74. Still not bad though and comfortable for tubing. I'm not sure 91 would be all that refreshing on a really hot day (but I may just be saying that because I am jealous).

It is a bit warm, and not to refreshing....but the beer here is only 34*f so it makes up for it. :rofl: :cheers:

Today it's 94*f...the beer is still 34*f..........water temp is 85*f..time to go boating.
Karl

ou........I don't know about that sporsterjoel. I'm a 2 stroke junky, in boats anyway, for now.

The 4 strokes are more reliable? Maybe. But the last time I was at the marina, I saw just as many, if not more 4-TEC's in there. It was probably all those supercharged models coming in to change the ceramic to stainless on the slip washers.

I like the 4-TEC, I just have one problem. The computer that controls it!:ack: My 110 hp can go wrong and the only thing that has a sensor on it, is the temperature. But nothing to throw a code and put me in "limp mode". The 787 has 2 carbs, a rotary valve, tuned pipe, magneto for power and PTO for shaft horsepower. That's it!....what could go wrong? No super charger, no water pump, no oil filters to replace, no cooling system to maintain with antifreeze, no oil coolers .......but most of all, no 14 sensors telling an electrical maze of circuitry what to do............I love it!

I agree but I work on cars all day long and there 100 time worse then the 4 tec for computers and sencors... The only thing i dont like is i cant get a scan tool for my boat (dealer only) witch sucks.... I look at it the same as old cars are to new cars as i do old boat to new boats...>... I think mac or snap-on should offer a scantool for seadoo's how sweet would that be...

I agree but I work on cars all day long and there 100 time worse then the 4 tec for computers and sencors... The only thing i dont like is i cant get a scan tool for my boat (dealer only) witch sucks.... I look at it the same as old cars are to new cars as i do old boat to new boats...>... I think mac or snap-on should offer a scantool for seadoo's how sweet would that be...

Dealers only, I would think that the resale value of the skis as they get older will drop alot more than normal as the do it yourselfer will not be able to trouble shoot all the problems the engines may have and may buy a different brand than Seadoo that will be easier to troubleshoot. :cheers:

the do it yourselfer will not be able to trouble shoot all the problems the engines may have and may buy a different brand than Seadoo that will be easier to troubleshoot. :cheers:

Why would keeping the programmer out of the hands of the hobbyist make the 'Doo's worth more? Seems to me that if I have the choice of "can't work on it at all, dealer only (buds)", "dealer only for keys (mpem)", or "can do whatever I want myself (kawi)", I'd choose the second or third option...

I don't have extra cash to throw at the dealer whenever my car needs work just for diagnostics, don't have it for the boat either. (Of course I shouldn't talk... '94 chevy pulling a '97 boat)

I only keep my boats for 2 seasons then get another one, that way i dont lose alot of money and i always have a fairly new boat..... End of next summer ill be able to sell my boat for $1000 less then what i paid for it... Right now i could buy a bran new still in the shrink wrap 2008 speedster 200 310hp with tower for $26,000 thats about 24,000 US....

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that is great.

I can't play in that league though.
I am not knowledgeble enough anymore to deal with any possible upcoming problems on a BRP 4-stroke, even though I agree they should be extremely reliable. Part of the hobby in my case is the maintenance and upkeep of these high-strung two-strokes.

My other hobby keeps me inside, I'm into Home Theater and build HT Subwoofers. My latest: A dual 15" high excursion sealed unit of approx 8 cubic feet with 1200 watts - eq'ed by a programmable 10 band parametric equilizer.
It's about 300 pounds not including the outboard amplifier module.
164.jpg

165.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that is great.

I can't play in that league though.
I am not knowledgeble enough anymore to deal with any possible upcoming problems on a BRP 4-stroke, even though I agree they should be extremely reliable. Part of the hobby in my case is the maintenance and upkeep of these high-strung two-strokes.

My other hobby keeps me inside, I'm into Home Theater and build HT Subwoofers. My latest: A dual 15" high excursion sealed unit of approx 8 cubic feet with 1200 watts - eq'ed by a programmable 10 band parametric equilizer.
It's about 300 pounds not including the outboard amplifier module.
164.jpg

165.jpg
Nice and impressive

I made one out of SS mesh and it lasted 15 minutes and had to remove it. It kills the power and captivates the pump. Don't waste your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back