Idea for Jet Pump Water Intake "GRILL"

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

قطري424

Hi..

I need to discuss the idea of "putting a grill on the jet pump water intake"

everybody knows if something pulled by water intake cause damage to the wear ring

i just replaced it and paid $123

then i came up with the grill idea.. to avoid such a problems..

i dont know if it is usefull or not..

see this pic for example

please give me your comments and ideas

i dont know if someone tried that before..

thanks

Attachments

• Intake.jpg
    Intake.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 126
huuh...thought same thing... use a mesh screen from a heater/ac filter from home depot, lowes, then attach/rivot to ride plate, so covers whole intake, then mount to bolt area of intake scoop...?

I think it would just slow you down and decrease your acceleration....otherwise Seadoo would have put something there already.

The best advice would be to drive smart and avoid sucking things up. I have been riding for a few years now......with lots of tubing and I have never sucked anything up. As long as you are careful you will really decrease the amount of debris you ingest.

I know accidents do happen so eventually each and every one of us is going to have to replace a wear ring or impeller, but that is the nature of the game. If you are careful, the frequency of these replacments will be considerably reduced.

Matt

"otherwise Seadoo would have put something there already.".....I hear what Matt's say'n, but...they want repeat/problem business..my .02..:cheers:

By the time you got a grate with small enough holes to keep you safe the boat would not even move! If you look at any performance grates, they are pretty much wide open.

The best solution is to just keep in mind you're driving a giant vacuum, and stay away from shallow water or floating debris.:cheers:

Aaron

Low pressure....?

The inlet to the pump is considered a low pressure side. It's intake is high volume, low pressure. When it's compressed by the impeller and into the nozzle, your now making high pressure, low volume thrust.

If you restrict the flow of water through the low pressure side, you will build less pressure at the nozzle and most likely cavitate. As a member stated above, if it was feasible, Seadoo's engineers would have already created it.

Look at it like this, when you loose the clearance on your pump, the impeller is useless....correct? That's because it can no longer build pressure in the nozzle. The water pushes out in front of the impeller, just to circle back around into the low pressure area of the impeller.

Less restriction, more speed. More covered area over the intake grate, less speed..........you decide. :cheers:

Thank you seadoosnipe for these informations.. i understand now :)

i'll just be careful ..

i like people who explains things and make it clear.. more info = more knowlege

Thank you again seadoosnipe..

The inlet to the pump is considered a low pressure side. It's intake is high volume, low pressure. When it's compressed by the impeller and into the nozzle, your now making high pressure, low volume thrust.

I have seen this said a few times in these forums and I always wondered how does the actual volume change? Don't you have the same volume of water going in as you have comming out? I can understand that the impeller is taking the incomming water and increasing the pressure of it by forcing it through a smaller diameter opening but I don't understand how you can have high volume going in and low volume comming out.

I have seen this said a few times in these forums and I always wondered how does the actual volume change? Don't you have the same volume of water going in as you have comming out? I can understand that the impeller is taking the incomming water and increasing the pressure of it by forcing it through a smaller diameter opening but I don't understand how you can have high volume going in and low volume comming out.

The volume does not change. What increases the pressure is the same volume being pushed through a much smaller space which creates thrust.

Matt

Aftermarket Scoops

Years ago I took Kawasaki to court in Orange County CA because I claimed there was a design deficiency in their intake and that aftermarket vendors had solved the problem and Kawasaki should have made the change or at least told me about it.

I dont remember the vendor, but there was a grill which looked almost like the diagram at the top of this thread, except it had vanes to actually scoop water in order to make up for the loss of thrust... meanwhile blocking large objects from entering.

HOWEVER if had a couple of drawbacks - first of all there was a slight loss of power. More important, when weeds go thru the grill, it was impossible to get them out without removing the entire grill due to the small openings. That is a huge factor.

I dont know why Sea Doo stopped equipping boats with weed clearance systems.

I ran my Speedster for 5-6 years with no grill at all - just an open intake. My theory was, junk would fall out if you shut the engine off.. and guess what it worked. But then you have the risk of a log going in there. I also sucked up and pureed a large fish once ... like the Dan Akroyd Bass-o-Matic.

No kind of screen will work, in addition to volume you also need non-aerated water. Been tried many times.

if you get a jam, try backing in circles alternating power and idle. it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also sucked up and pureed a large fish once ... like the Dan Akroyd Bass-o-Matic.

This summer I was out and crusing along slowly and all of a sudden I lost a bit of power three or four times in a row. I thought I had sucked something up so I took the boat out right away to see if I had done any damage. As it turns out I had sucked up 3 or 4 jellyfish. There was no damage at all but there were quite a few bits of jellyfish and tentacles still hanging off my grate and stuck in the pump. Now, the jellyfish where I ride really don't sting too badly but you would feel very uncompfortable if you touched them with bare hands so I very carefully removed the tentacles while wearing a thick pair of rubber gloves.

There were a couple of days this summer after that where the water was thick enough with jellyfish that I didn't bother putting the boat in and going for a ride.

I didn't think they had salt water....I run them over here in Florida all the time...They are mush coming out the jet pump... Why bother cleaning them out?

Karl

Where are there jelly fish in ottawa?

Matt

I spend 6-8 weeks a summer in eastern Quebec (on the Baie des Chaleurs) in a small town called New Richmond (I live and work in Ottawa the rest of the year). I actually just keep my boat there since it isn't worth bringing it back to Ottawa at the end of August (so it has now been put to rest for the winter). A short season but I probably get more boating in in 8 weeks than many people do all year.

I didn't think they had salt water....I run them over here in Florida all the time...They are mush coming out the jet pump... Why bother cleaning them out?

Karl

The bigger ones there have 6-8 foot long tentacles (or whatever the parts that sting are called) and when I got back there were quite a few body parts/tentacles just hanging there wedged in the grate. I could have left them I suppose but thought it was better to clean them off.

I didn't think there was salt water in canada... Thanks for the geography lesson. Those babies get big! :rofl:

Karl

I spend 6-8 weeks a summer in eastern Quebec (on the Baie des Chaleurs) in a small town called New Richmond (I live and work in Ottawa the rest of the year). I actually just keep my boat there since it isn't worth bringing it back to Ottawa at the end of August (so it has now been put to rest for the winter). A short season but I probably get more boating in in 8 weeks than many people do all year.

I see. I am also from Ottawa...but I stick around here. I have a cottage on the ottawa river near Deep River/Petawawa but on the Quebec side. I haul my Seadoo back and forth but the boats stay there.

Matt

Matt, the INTERNET makes the world small...when I think of Canada, I think of clean lakes, and fresh running streams... I forget it has the ocean on either side too... my bad.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back