I almost had it!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoyRider19

I finally got my 1996 Seadoo xp working and I lost it off the trailer! it was fine and all pieces are being replaced but it now does have stress cracks (pretty bad but not showing up inside the hull) on the upper deck lid part near the steering piece. how will i fix this? i heard resin but what is the steps? thanks! :D

I have used two-part epoxy resin mixed with sawdust as thickener for repairing many cracks. Also check out "Marine-Tex".

Also, after having sanded smooth any repairs, I have found that for white colored gel-coat, white epoxy appliance paint from Lowes seems to work quite well as a finish coat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marine tex is a good option as Sportster has said. so the crack does not return dont skim over existing repair, v-knotch the crack alittle to create a v shaped trough so your fill material (marine-tex,matched gel coat) stays put q-tips and tooth picks work great to add your fill material to your small repairs, sand then buff. I have had good luck contacting boat companys in the past to get a gelcoat match, I even contacted wellcraft and got a gelcoat match from 1974!!! so if your feeling froggy and want to do it right then call seadoo and get factory gel coat code then have it mixed to that code. good luck with your repair. any pics so we can see how bad? just want to make sure Im giving the right advice as far as damage goes.

If the damage is that bad, I would look for another hull. In the long run it may be your best option.

Are you saying it slid off the trailer and cracked near the nozzle? I'm assuming that's what your meaning by steering piece. I would look for a donor hull if the damage is extensive.

I watched a brand new 4 stroke(first time pwc owner) on a roller trailer slide off on the ramp. Never even made it to the water after he bought it

Imma post a pic today for you guys! Could i possible take just the upper part of this hull off. Like around my bumbper guards?

Future reference.

You need a safety strap on the front as well as ratchet tie downs on the rear that keep it pulled forward.

If you have all these and the winch strap, you could loose two of them an still have the ski securely on the trailer.

Not trying to sound like a jerk. I NEVER move my ski without all my tie downs. If you get in an accident it hit a good bump that thing will become a rocket.

I have over 20 grand in my skis and trailers.

Sorry it happened to you and I hope you get it fixed quick so you can get back out on the water. That said, invest in safety cables and rear tie downs an enjoy the ski.

post some pic's...
did you have roller bunks or something ?
heck on some rides, I was so tired, and distracted that i've completely forgotten to use the tie downs, just the front winch, and my ski has never moved around on the carpet at all.

"Could i possible take just the upper part of this hull off."

Yes, you can remove your rub rail by drilling out the rivets and then cut all the way around at the factory seam but it's a lot of work and you'll have to have a new upper to epoxy back on and get it all straight, etc.... Major pain, IMO.

I think it would be as much fun as shoe-horning a large engine into a small ski.

I agree with RobJ, Depending on your skills, I would strip the ski & locate a nice hull. You can get them for next to nothing as many guys (including members here) part out these skis when they are in nice condition (worth more in parts) & they end up with many hulls with no place to put them. I gave away a nice hull last year & I was days away from cutting it up & tossing it in the dumpster.

you may have a few days labor invested, but then the whole ski will have been inspected as you swap things over. The other thing is resale. Many buyers would ovoid purchasing a ski with a repaired hull.

Just my .02

here's an example: wrong year & color, but you get the idea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-SEA-DO..._Watercraft_Parts&hash=item27c65a3359&vxp=mtr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back