Hydrolocked 1999 Seadoo gtx 787 rfi

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Collen phillips

I have a 1999 Seadoo GTX Rfi
I connected the hose to my ski without it running and now I have water in my crank case.

Is there a DRAIN plug ? If so, where is it ?

Technically yes but you better get that water out and get it running asap and don't worry about the drain plug. Get it running and ride it hard immediately then fog the crap out of it. The longer it sits the better chance your crank rusts and blows out the side of the cases.

Technically yes but you better get that water out and get it running asap and don't worry about the drain plug. Get it running and ride it hard immediately then fog the crap out of it. The longer it sits the better chance your crank rusts and blows out the side of the crankcase.
The motor is hydrolocked currently and will not turn over because of too much pressure. I have sucked every possible oil water mixture out from the crank and blew out all water from the cylinders heads. I’m asking where the drain plug is because I’m not sure sucking out of the full is getting all the liquid out. So where is the drain plug on a 1999 Seadoo gtx 787 ?

99 Seadoo gtx rfi 787
My motor is hydrolocked currently and will not turn over because of too much pressure. I have sucked every possible oil water mixture out from the crank and blew out all water from the cylinders heads. I’m asking where the drain plug is because I’m not sure sucking out of the full is getting all the liquid out. So where is the drain plug on a 1999 Seadoo gtx rfi 787 ?

How did the hydrolock happen is an important question to answer. if it happened while the motor was running things could be in bad shape internally from it.

the second question is how long ago did this happen? There is a need to get this taken care ASAP. You are actually better off leaving it full of water than sucking out most of the water and letting it sit with a little bit in it. Rust forms much quicker from moisture and air than metal actually sitting in water. If there is air pockets and moisture rust can quickly form on the bearings which is a bad thing.

The only real way to clear the motor of water following a hydrolock (short of taking the motor apart) is to pull the spark plugs and turn the motor over. This will blow a large portion of the water out of the spark plug holes. Following this, the motor needs to be started and ran for a bit so that the fuel, air, and heat can dry it out. You also need to do a complete oil change and change the in-line oil filter out.

Prepare yourself for an expensive repair. I always hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if this thing has been sitting for even a few days with water in it the crank is going to be toast. Hydrolocks need to be dealt with pretty much immediately after it happens to save the motor.

If it has been sitting like this for a while I would highly suggest you just pull the motor out and disassemble it immediately rather than trying to get it going again. This is going to be the only sure-fire way to know that you have dealt with the problem and will give you the opportunity to inspect the internals from potential damage caused by the hydrolock.

If this just happened you need to get this thing started and run it hard immediatly. Unfortunately, time is working against you in either scenario, but if it did just happen you can potentially right the problem without a major service to the motor.

PS: To answer your original question there is no drain plug that is going to remove water from the crankcase.

Last edited:
You should be cranking it over with both sparkplugs out and the plug wires grounded on the provided posts.
If it wont crank it's already locked up.

The only drain plug is a small allan plug at the back that is sometimes a pain to reach but will only really drain the rear cylinder and balance shaft cavity.
rfi.gif

Plug #6 would be where you refill with the balancer shaft oil.

You need to pull the plugs and put paper towels over the cylinders and crank the motor over until the oil is out. Replace with new plugs and crank, run that thing at the lake to swell the crank seals.

99 Seadoo gtx rfi 787
My motor is hydrolocked currently and will not turn over because of too much pressure. I have sucked every possible oil water mixture out from the crank and blew out all water from the cylinders heads. I’m asking where the drain plug is because I’m not sure sucking out of the full is getting all the liquid out. So where is the drain plug on a 1999 Seadoo gtx rfi 787 ?
If you can’t figure it out can I buy your computer

Happen to a buddy last year, forgot to put the drain plugs back in, we removed the 2 spark plugs, cranked engine over to spray water out, load cylinders with WD40 and cranked it over to spray that out, check electrical boxes for water and empty as needed then put plugs back in and ride it! We did this and he never had a problem since then.....still running strong!

My '96 was submerged for an indefinite period of time...came back from the winter (Spring 2015) and found the ski sitting under water in the boathouse (cradle broke and the drain plugs were open).

Raised the Titanic, replaced all the electric components :plugs, ignition coil, solenoid, starter cables, etc....new battery, removed spark plugs, cranked the starter and watched the water fountains spit out water for quite awhile, then a couple spoonfuls of Marvel's Mystery oil, more cranking, new spark plugs, rebuilt the carbs (full of water, mud and smootz), oil changeover....happy to say...she still runs to this day....almost better than the day I bought her used in the Summer of 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back