Hydro Trailer

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SurfBeat

OK, Spring is upon us and I want to put the Hydro Trailer to work that I bought last year at the swap meet. But, before doing so I am seeking some guidance from anyone who has a HT.

As you may know, to tow the HT the manufacturer peddles a stainless steel mounting bracket ($100) that requires boring a few holes in the hull of the PWC. Although I purchased the bracket, (cried like a baby dishing out the hundred bucks) I just don't like the idea of boring holes in my PWC.

My main reason is based upon the question, "what happens if the darn bracket tears into the PWC while I am towing the HT."

I ran across a thread where a HT owner faced the same question, so rather than boring holes in his PWC to mount the bracket he got two mooring cables. That seemed like a great idea until I jogged over to West Marine and was hit with a price of $300 for one whip. I need two, so, that is not going to work.

Now all you wise people put there might have a suggestion, even maybe an idea how to make a whip.

So Grasshoppers, this is your chance to help an old man out West.

Thanks

Here's how I did it. Works great and I can move it to any ski. I tested it with a fully loaded hydro-trailer this past weekend. Cruising along pulling it with my RXT at 45 was no problem at all. The only problem is the turnbuckles in the water did loosen a bit. I need to get some lock nuts or tie them like I have found they do on sailboats. Not a big deal, the vast majority of the force is pulling at the anchor at the back of the ski. I put those there just to take some of the side to side force off the deck. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365736260.819766.jpg

Sorry about the somewhat blurry shot. If you want more info, let me know.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365736285.485370.jpg

Arizona Boy:

From a Winslow boy who tends to take a while to figure stuff out, could you proved more data on your HT hook-up apparatus?

It looks like you fastened a u bracket to the tie down behind your seat? Then, you have a bracket on each side balancing it out?

I picked up a mounting bracket from the mfg, but I don't like the idea of drilling holes in my Jet Ski to secure it. I thought, one big bump and off goes the bracket along with a portion of the rear of my Jet Ski. I know the JS is not a Doo, but, I still like it and it would kill me to see a Sea Dooer using my Jet Ski for a trailer. lol

Maybe I will put the bracket on one of my 93 GTX's to experiment with. Those babies are only worth 2k, if that, so, not as big as loss.

The anchors on the machine are all sock. I'm lucky that the RXT has so many. My wife's GSX only has the one behind the seat and that setup works just fine with the sole turnbuckle. The key is the material you connect the hydrotrailer bracket to. I used a part salvaged from home gym equipment, but any square tubing will work. You just cut out one side to make a 'U' shape that will slide over the bumper on your ski. I also use some heavy duty rubber between the bracket and the ski. If you make your 'U' nice and wide, it will better distribute the side to side force and the horizontal turnbuckles are really not needed. From what I experience rowing the HT the side to side force is not as much as one might expect, because the thing is just getting thrown back hard by the pump.

Here is a better side view. The more snug you can fit it to your ski, the better off you will be because the forces will be spread out more. Again, this is all IMHO.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366082799.471531.jpg

Desert Mat - good idea, but another question. The bracket with the white tape, (where the wishbone from the HT hooks up to the bracket, where did you fetch that from? It looks exactly like the bracket the mfg sells. Did you weld that onto the U bracket?

You fashioned a better bracket than Quadel, the mfg. No boring holes into the PWC!

Since Doc seems to be the merchant purveyor off market goodies on this site, maybe in his goof off time he can get his machine shop to start manufacturing them in time for the 2013 season. Do ya here me, Doc, get that lathe to work!!!! lol

The white bracket is the one that came with my HydroTrailer. I bought mine off Craigslist from a guy in Tucson. Quadel has released a few different designs over the years. My HT has Polaris branding and the mount only had 2 square holes in it. I used those holes to bolt the OEM braket to my U bracket. I will probably get it welded together here soon so I don't have to worry about the bolt heads wearing through the rubber pad I use and then causing damage to the rubber on my 'Doo's bumper. The good news is any bracket I have seen from Quadel should work, you might just have to weld an eye at the top of your modified braket to give the turnbuckle something to grab on to. The metal I used just happened to have that bend in it, so i just drilled a hole, but an eye welded to the top would work just fine.

From one AZ boy to another, thanks. Now I have your idea to compare to another I found where a guy is using two mooring whips to tow his HT. I found that idea at the end season last year and was planning on replicating it until I discovered the costs for the whips, a few hundred bucks a piece. I then said, to heck with that idea.

I was thinking of maybe jerry-rigging a couple 8' PWC (Schedule 120), attaching two eyelets on each end and vola, I made a whip.

Just a thought?

I considered the same thing, I probably would have done that for sure if I didn't have the mount from Quadel. I would get a little nervous about the potential of the HT flipping over, but with a little bit of creative thinking at the connection point, you should be ok. That fellow who used the whips obviously didn't have a problem, so maybe the HT fully loaded is stable enough on its own. 8' would probably be longer than you want, but you would have the liberty of shortening them if you so desire. They will get brittle in the AZ sun, but you should get a few summers out of them if you can store them indoors. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I did not think about the HT flipping. Good thought>

Since you have the Quadel hitch, is there a reason you did not mount it to the rear as was intended?

Do you think the turbulence between the HT and PWC could cause the hitch to tear off?

Just some thoughts.

The biggest reason is I tend not to hold on to toys for very long. I'll probably have a different ski in a couple years. I also have two skis and like the option of being able to use it with either ski.

I do not believe there is much danger of catastrophic damage or failed if you mount the way Quadel intends.

Dont know. post a pic of the proper mounting.

Howdy Doc:

Thanks for taking a look. Here is some info on the Hydro Trailer that you may find helpful before giving any advice. The photo gives you an idea where the hitch is attached to the PWC and the attached file entitled "butterhitch" provides the installation instructions.

Hydro trailer specifications Gen. and technical information for Hydro trailer .1 The Hydro trailer weighs 75 pounds and will hold up to 200 pounds of gear. The boxed dimensions are 66″ x 40″ x 18″ .2 Comes fully loaded with 2 x 5 gallon gas cans which are in their own recessed area in the [...]
Share The Hydro Trailer With Others

Attachments

• butter hitch.pdf
    232.5 KB · Views: 49
  • HITCH-300x244.jpg
    HITCH-300x244.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 88
Last edited by a moderator:
It looks nice... but 2 things come to mind:

1) Looks like you have to drill into the ski to mount it. I don't like to make mods like that, because it takes away from the value of the ski later, if you separate the two for a sale.

2) I don't think it would fail, under normal use. But... if it did... it would wreck the rear of the hull.

Personally... I like the ugly mount desert mat made. When you don't want to use the trailer... it will come off, and be out of the way.

Thanks Doc. Your number two opinion that if normal riding conditions became abnormal, the result could wreck the rear of the hull is what has kept me from mounting the darn bracket on my PWC, albeit I paid about ninety bucks for the stainless steel bracket from the mfg. Quadel a few months ago.

Since my back-up 93 GTX's are only worth a couple grand (with trailer), maybe i will experiment with them, then, if all goes well I will remove the bracket and mount it on one of my 97 JS STX's? Decisions, decisions. I am getting to understand the reason it takes an old lady so lone to make a decision. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back