1998 gtx rfi. hydro locked

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
"every time that I reinserted lanyard, the engine would spin for about 4 seconds"

Is this simply maybe a bad solenoid stuck closed, then opens and not really hydrolocking? What happens if you jump the solenoid with a screwdriver after it stops spinning for 4 seconds?

I had a similiar problem years ago, starter would spin continuously when lanyard was attached, but not engage. Replaced solenoid, problem solved.
BTW I replaced my solenoid with a $14 tractor solenoid from Lowes rather than a $40 OEM and been working perfectly for 14 years. The mounting bracket is different so it just hangs free in the rear e-box but works fine

Last edited:
actually the engine would turn, but only for maybe 2seconds and then lock up.
with plugs out engine turns great for as I old starter button.. but I only do it for maybe 5-6 seconds at a time.

Last edited:
Is it possible that carbs are pumping too much fuel? Will it turn over with plugs out as long as you are on the starter?

well I am back from lake.
first I tried to have engine turn over with plugs in. spun for ?? 2 seconds and then locked up. pulled plugs and spun the engine over (spun very good) with rag over plug holes. very little discharge on rag. then I decided to go for broke. put 2 12volt batteries from car with plugs in, and hit the start button. (plug wires on ground) and it sun over. I repeated this process three times, cranking the engine for approx. 6 seconds each time. so, now that I know it will turn over with EXTRA battery power,. I will drain the gas, and leave the oil line clamped. I will leave it now for the winter months and get back to it in the spring.
again, I thank all that responded to my problem, and all the advice that was given.
until spring of 2024.

IF it takes two batteries it is a low amp issue. Look at cables and starter brushes.

Back