Hummingbird GPS - No Signal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

MVPeterP

i installed my GPS Huminbird 688DI on my Speedster, but am unable to get a signal. I had it hooked up and in place (before installation) and it worked, showed me on land. a week later, installed it....doesnt work.

took it off mount, tried holding in air hooked up, doesnt work. no signal. I thought maybe because of its location on the boat, but didnt make sense to me.

it has an internal GPS antenna.

anyone face this issue before?

Nope... Haven't heard of that before.

BUT... I know the Lowrance units can run a "External" GPS source. I would say to look thought the menus and make sure you are set to internal, and not external.

thats one of those facepalm moments..... i will try it out tomorrow if the weather holds up. Thank you!

Nope... Haven't heard of that before.

BUT... I know the Lowrance units can run a "External" GPS source. I would say to look thought the menus and make sure you are set to internal, and not external.

so it looks like it was on Internal, AND i ran the diagnostic screen and i could see al lthe satellites it was connected to, and the strength. I see no reason why i cant get a signel, standing in the middle of my Speedster, holding my GPS up in the air, with 5+ decent sat connections....

i have a terrible feeling its something really simple, but based on how the last month has gone (flat tires on my truck, issues with maintenance on truck, boat issues, etc etc etc) i expect its crapped out without any use.

So the real question, is what happened to the location or map really. As you pointed out, it does have signal, from 5+ satellites.

When a GPS has signal like yours, but no location, then it's possible that the base map has gotten corrupt or replaced. A few of my GPS units act a bit funny when I put in custom maps. I have custom sled maps that I use in the Winter, and lakemaps that I use in the summer. If I pull out the SD Card, then the GPS goes back to the base map.

Have you downloaded any custom maps, or is there a map chip installed? Pull those out and switch your map source to the base maps. Sometimes it helps to turn up the map detail as well since all things could possibly be shut off.

Are you getting any sort of error, (like no sat found) or are you getting a location cursor with no map?

Good luck,

it says "no fixed point". internal antenna on. i did not load any custom maps, and did not install any map packs at all. it is all base maps. Initially when i turned it on, it did show me on land, and in a proper location. the map was a base brown for ground, and blue for water. no information other then when i was on water or land.

Maybe i changed something without knowing. i will see what i can check on the unit. i will be at the boat on Thursday.

thanks for the tips! i will report back!

Sorry to say that a quick google search is showing a number of folks that have had this sort of issue.

They have done the common troubleshooting of swapping antennae, maps, settings and even a hummingbird moderator chimed in and asked to test the power to the unit.

Most of them ended up sending the unit in to Hummingbird for repair or replacement. I would suggest a call into humming bird. As they provided little troubleshooting, but some known issues were addressed by installing a card. It probably updated firmware on the unit. You can do that as well by hitting up the HB support site and downloading them to and SD card I would bet.

Good luck!

Sorry to say that a quick google search is showing a number of folks that have had this sort of issue.

They have done the common troubleshooting of swapping antennae, maps, settings and even a hummingbird moderator chimed in and asked to test the power to the unit.

Most of them ended up sending the unit in to Hummingbird for repair or replacement. I would suggest a call into humming bird. As they provided little troubleshooting, but some known issues were addressed by installing a card. It probably updated firmware on the unit. You can do that as well by hitting up the HB support site and downloading them to and SD card I would bet.

Good luck!

Good news.

i read the same things, BUT, the reset to factory settings worked!!! it was a little sketchy, as it only saw 3 sats initially, but once i got going, it caught about 10, then it was perfect. i found out that the base information doesnt even show water at my lake. at least i can see the path out, so i can follow it back.

now i gotta figure out where i can get maps for Nothern Manitoba. LOL.

Thanks for all the input everyone, unless it crapps on my while im camping form Thurs to Sun, i think we are a-okay!

-Peter-

Hummingbird did just purchase LakeMaster maps in the past few years. I have used them in Lowrance products for quite a few years. I would highly recommend them.

Although base maps should be a download from Hummingbird support site.

My guess is they may have the Lakemaster maps available for purchase and download. Then just drop the card in your unit. Sometimes the cards are available on clearance racks in sporting goods stores. They update the quite often giving folks the impression that they need to buy new. When in actuality, lakes change much less frequent than highways.

Glad you got it figured out! Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back