947 break in headache. Need tech advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKnarrowback

Ok, the back ground story.

I have a 98 XP LTD with the 947.

I bought it last year with water damaged pistons, rebuilt it 1st over with oem pistons. On the 7th ride the air box fell off, water got in and scored both pistons.

Rebuilt the top end at the start of this summer using Weiscos and bore job 2 over (88.5 mm). Took it easy on the break in, mixed some oil into the gas, ran two full tanks through and gave it it's first full throttle pass and lost the mag side piston. There was clear damage that looked like water had gotten into the motor and smeared the intake side. Checked the water separator and it was 3/4 full of water and crud, found a good amount of water in the mag carb as well. I realized I had done the entire break in with the fuel selector set on reserve and had sucked all the crud that might have been in the gas tank through the carbs and motor. Lots of water after the separator.

The mag piston was water damaged, the pto piston had evidence of a four point seizure. Both cylinders honed clean and I was still in clearance to run 88.5mm pistons again.

Up to this point everything I could attribute to water damage smearing one piston. However, the 88.5 Weiscos measured 88mm at the skirt after they were pulled out? No bending, cracks or wear on the areas that were undamaged from the water. Two tanks of easy riding and the pistons did not maintain 88.5mm but appeared to have "shrunk". The other odd thing was the pto piston and the four point seizure marks when I was very gentle in the break in, long warm ups, no stressing the motor, how did the marks get there?

So, fast forward two weeks and I have another set of 88.5 weiscos installed with a clean hone job on each cylinder, premixed the tank, did the warm up 10 minutes, shut off to let it cool, another 10 minutes all without bringing the throttle past 3000 rpms while sitting in the water on the trailer. Took it easy on things for another two tanks and went to give it the first long full throttle shot and it shuts down again after 10 seconds.

A compression check with the snap on gauge shows 140 mag, 135 pto. Pto had a light smear in line with the ring gap of the top ring.

The carbs were rebuilt last year with all original mikuni parts, needle and seats, pop off set. The motor pressure tested good before taking it apart after the second shut down with the weiscos, held 8lbs for over 5 minutes and stopped the test without seeing any real pressure loss. Gas was twice filtered super unleaded.

The thing that stood out like a sore thumb was the amount of glazing both cylinders had after each of the failures this season. Both times there were two tanks of run time on the fresh hone job, premixed tank as well as oil injection. I threw in pictures of what I found after the second failure last weekend. Another standout was the amount of blow by on the piston faces.

I have never had a motor rebuild fail during break in. This is the first time I am getting my butt kicked and could use some opinions here.

Doing a lot of reading and research in the last few days and found lots of info saying glazing can be a result of unburned fuel/oil elements embedded in the cross hatch as a result of not having enough heat in the burn. Others say it's by taking it too easy on the break in or holding the throttle in one spot for too long during break in. Also have read many views on break in procedure.

I take it easy on my new pistons, but many views say to let things warm up good, take it easy for a few minutes, with varying throttle, but then to be more aggressive and use some energy to push the rings out to avoid glazing.

With things being the way they are I have one more chance to try before I have to give up on this machine for the summer. I touched things up with the hone, piston damage was almost nothing and Group K pointed out that slight scuffs can be carefully smoothed out with fine wet/dry sand paper, so I did. The rings are in good shape, have been run for two tanks but are staying on the pistons for this last try. Motor pressure tested good again and I'm putting it in the water tomorrow.

My thinking is the gentle approach to the break in didn't work. I was going to try the more aggressive approach tomorrow, a good warm up, but higher rpms with a full throttle run sooner than later.

The glazing has me perplexed?? I have only seen this much in motors that are years old, not two tanks. The marks in both cylinders, right side, are the upper ring alignment pin/gap location. The ring set was for an 88.5mm piston but was at the max for what the shop manual said the gap should be. We did do a inner micrometer check of the cylinders and they were bored to match the pistons. Water Temps are around 45 to 48 degrees F that I'm running in. 20220530_164448.jpg20220530_164432.jpg

Attachments

• 20220530_164416.jpg
    20220530_164416.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220530_164443.jpg
    20220530_164443.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 13
That does not look good.

Honestly I would contact Harry at Group K and pick his brain since he has seen about everything on these engines.

Is the clearance between the piston and cylinder correct? Different pistons grow at different rates. If the head gasket looks good I'd increase the piston clearance at tad (.002") What did the spark plugs look like?

Plugs were good.

The tops of the pistons and color of the cylinders are different. I'm wondering if I might have done some crank twisting when I had the water damage the pistons last year. The grey vs the brown finish isn't a camera thing, that is how they look inside. I'll put the dial on things after work.

I had a ski that I believe twisted the crank but I didn't suspect at the time. Owner sunk the ski then cranked it with the spark plugs in and sheared the bendix off the starter. Months later found the rotary valve bent when they complaned of starting problems. Also the ski never quite made top speed again. Off by a few mph.

My old school piston reading experience tells me you are way lean. Maybe you should give EGT set up a try. No sense in getting beat up with it any more than necessary. Sorry to hear about the problems. Good Luck !!

Well......

I put two dials on it and the crank is still 180 out. Good news.

I talked with the guys at Group K a couple of times this week and got some insight.

They said DO NOT put any oil on the pistons or cylinders when assembling the motor, leave them dry and start it that way. So I didn't..... NEVER done a rebuild that way before, but thought I'd try.

Took the machine to the river and thought WTF (Welcome To Fairbanks) and decided to let it warm up a minute till things are toasty then start running the throttle up and down. Sat on the trailer fluctuating the gas and getting up into near full throttle for a second or two many times. Let things cool off, started up and warmed up again and took it for ride, like it was fully broken in, only without any long full throttle shots.

This is the most "abusive" break in I have ever done in 35 years. The thing ran great. I was prepared to write it off for the summer if it dies, right now I'm cautiously optimistic.

One thing I did have happen on the first warm up was it acted the same way it did when I thought I seized it a few days ago. Wavered for a good 10 seconds and I shut it down. Pulled the plugs, they looked good. Threw the snap on comp tester on it expecting to see a dead cylinder and had mag at 138, pto at 136ish. That surprised me. I popped the gas cap and could have sworn the tank took air in.... unhooked the air inlet one way valve before the on the water test and could not get the motor to waiver.

Still not convinced I'm safe, but this test run is going better than I thought.

Plug color is perfect brown on both holes.

When I was honing it a couple of days ago I debated more than deglazing so I cranked on things for a few minutes in each cylinder. Lots of write ups on wiseco needing a little extra clearance so I figured I'd give a few extra turns.

Big experiment time right now. Making it count since regular unleaded is $5,45. Super is $5,70 and climbing. If it dies on the next run I fog it, park it and wait for a new administration to get us back on track with a real plan for energy.

(I'm an Electrician with the power utility and trust me, the "green" thing isn't working the way the media says.....)

2nd ride. Ran it harder. Did a compression check with the motor at, roughly, the same temp as an hour ago and both cylinders are showing 140 dead on. Plug color is good.

I'd look at the EGT set up but I don't think they are cheap. :) Glad you got it back on the water.

On break-in I look at the time the engine has been running. If I try to burn a tank of fuel at low RPM that's lible to take many hours. My concern is leaks and temperature (hot spots). I take it really easy for the first 45 minutes to an hour and I might get it up on plane once for a 20 seconds or so. Same thing for the next ride. After I get an hour on the engine, I figure it's loosening up.

On my race bike just after engine build we race it. I know they do break in on the dyno and I don't think they do more than a few FULL PULLS and call it good.

How do you like that model XP? What kinda speed are you getting out of it?? I have a 1999 XPL that is sitting in my cousin's shop. Engine is at my shop and I don't think it has ever been run. This ski is on the way back burner with no plans for this summer.

I like it a bunch. I picked it up for $500 from my friend, who was my supervisor when I worked on DOOs, who has his own shop now. It was brought in with water damaged pistons 10 years ago and sat under a tarp the whole time. I'm guessing the previous owner had the airbox fall off like I did and got water in the motor. It came with all the parts to rebuild it, gaskets, standard and 1st over oem piston sets. I rebuilt the carbs, had it bored and ran it last summer without a problem, until the airbox fell off and water scored both pistons. I still have the standard bore oem set on the shelf.

I bought it just for the speed and power, no intention of diving it under or rolling it around. Machines of this type are very rare up here, not many were sold and even fewer still run. I have zero hands on time with anything modern so all I can say is the hull seems awesome to me since I don't porpoise all day like my 94 xp does.

As for speed? Tough to tell since I always have a river current to adjust for. I did see a solid 62mph, on the slowest part of the river on GPS, going up or down. I took a week last year and gelcoated, wet sanded polished, waxed, polished, waxed the hull and saw 64.3pmh on the same stretch of river with only the hull prep as the difference between the two runs. I'll tag a video on of the riding I like to do with this machine, the gopro GPS speed is always 2 mph slower than the Garmin GPS so add 2 to the indicated speed on the screen. It hurts to watch because it ran so perfect before that dang airbox fell off......

Not going to be driving it much more since gas is spendy and I'm sitting out most of the summer after carpal tunnel surgery in two weeks.

As I mentioned I have a yellow 1999 XPL and I have this 2003 XP DI also. I'd like to get one restored just to see how it rides and performs. Good Luck with yours !!
2003 XP DI RED.JPEG

Thanks!

Out riding right now and it seems fine. Did a compression check on the cold motor this morning and had dead on 140 both sides. I violated all my normal break-in practices when I ran it yesterday, but it is going good so far. Strong pull, top rpms solid at 6800. Going to look in the plug holes, at the walls, with a scope tonight and see if the glaze is there. Taking lots of notes and learning a bunch on this one.

Thanks!

Out riding right now and it seems fine. Did a compression check on the cold motor this morning and had dead on 140 both sides. I violated all my normal break-in practices when I ran it yesterday, but it is going good so far. Strong pull, top rpms solid at 6800. Going to look in the plug holes, at the walls, with a scope tonight and see if the glaze is there. Taking lots of notes and learning a bunch on this one.
You mentioned a water seperator at the start of this post. What type/brand water seperator are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back