Hull chips

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattydipps

I've had a couple chips in my hull since I bought the ski and with all these hull damage threads coming up I figured I'd make my contribution... Does this need repair? Can I do it my self?

29.jpg

30.jpg

You do want to at the very least seal them so that the water does not "hydraulic" into the hull.

They sell gel coat repair kits or you could simply paint it with a quality paint, (if they are as small as they look).

You do want to at the very least seal them so that the water does not "hydraulic" into the hull.

They sell gel coat repair kits or you could simply paint it with a quality paint, (if they are as small as they look).

yeah they are pretty small.. i would say the biggest is about the size of a penny..

if i go with the DIY gel coat repait kit would i have to repaint?

You might want to try Locktite Marine Epoxy, I've had real good success. They carry the off white at Lowes.

Lou

Attachments

• 100_0434.JPG
    100_0434.JPG
    484.8 KB · Views: 12
Gel cote repair kit and you will never notice its there. Ive done some pretty big chips and once done it wasnt noticeable. You can buy the factory matched kit for like $60 after shipping. If its on the underside where it isnt visible you can get away with a universal kit. They are like $35 shipped to your door.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gelcoat repair for little nicks/chips like that are really pretty easy. Just did a few on my boat this weekend. I bought a small pint can of white gelcoat from overtons for about $20. It comes with the hardener and is easy to use.

Just make sure to clean up the chip so that the edges are smooth and if possible at a 45 degree angle (I use a dremmel), then clean with acetone. Mix up your gelcoat and hardener and coat the chips with a cheap paint brush or parts brush. The consistency of the gelcoat is about melted icecream, so deep chips may need a few coats. Once you have them built up above the existing surface just sand down with wet sand paper of various degrees (500, 1200, 2000, 3000) and then buff with a marine compound.

The hardest part is finding a proper ratio of gelcoat and hardener by experimenting with small batches, and then the sanding process. I found that 2tbs of gelcoat and 17 drops of hardener works in a paper cup (do not use plastic cups, they will melt).

If the repairs are not white then you also need to get pigments to color the white gelcoat and mix it in prior to application.
Let me know if you need any more specific info.

I just bought the Evercoat Gel coat scratch repair kit for my boat.
It come in clear, White and off white (Beige). All in one tube, no mixing of 2 part epoxy. Can be mixed with coloring.
About $11- $12 per 1/2 oz. tube, goes a long ways, enough for your repair. It can be sanded with fine grit paper.
www.evercoat.com 513-489-7600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back