How-to PWC Stand Project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

djredman99

Ok, so I built a stand this weekend so I can get my trailer out of the garage (& fit another Seadoo!).

First, I should say that this is not my design. I totally ripped it off of some pics I found on the net. Of the designs I saw, I did not like the PVC kind and amongst the wooden ones, this one looked sturdy, its design was simple, and is made of basic materials.

Materials
  • (4) 5" Casters, 330lbs......@$7.49 (from Harbor Freight)
  • (2) 2x4x8......................@$1.95 (Home Depot)
  • (3) 2x6x8......................@$4.89 (")
  • (1) 2x10x8.....................@$7.98 (")
  • (1) Tube of Liquid Nails....@$1.74 (")
  • Hardware.....................@$7.97 (")
  • Total............................ $66.22 (")
** In addition to these materials, you may want to purchase an addition 2x10 or a 2x8 to add support to the tall verticle bunk. If you have a flaw in the wood, a crack/break could occur along the grain of the 2x10, especially on a heavier ski. See the pics at the end to see what I am referring to. **

** Additionally, you could buy a 2x12x8 and cut 8 sections 2'x12'x10" and align the grain vertically and attach to the the 2x10 bunks (4 sections per 2x10 bunk). This will provide the tall bunk section with grains running vertical and horizontal. **

I tried to take quite a few pics of the process so if anyone wants to build one too, they can see how I did it. I used 3" decking screws along with liquid nails to attach the wood. You should pre-drill holes for the screws when you are close to the edge of the boards.

Starting materials
35.jpg

2x4's and 2x10's cut into 4' pieces. 2x6's cut to make (4) 36" pieces. the rest of the 2x6 cuts will need to be made later.
36.jpg

Started by piecing together the "bunks".
37.jpg

38.jpg

After the bunks are put together, space them evenly and attach (2) 2'x6'x36"
39.jpg

40.jpg

Next, I attached the bottom most 2'x6'x36".
41.jpg

Next, I cut the cross support. I laid the board across in position and used a pencil to trace the angle along the 2'x6'x36"'s it attached to. The angle is roughly 30 degrees. Cut on the large side here at first and then cut it down in small increments so you get a snug fit
42.jpg

Attaching the cross support
43.jpg

Flip it all over and start attaching the top 2x6 pieces, cutting them to fit.
44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

Now, time to attach the casters. I used 5/16"x1 3/8" lag bolts. Be sure to pre-drill holes.
48.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

Before attaching the carpet, i chamfered the edges where the ski will rest.
49.jpg

Attach the carpet, and the finished stand
50.jpg

If you build your own and want to ask any questions, feel free to ask.

For a sturdier stand, you may want to double up the 2x10's or add a 2x8 along the backside of the 2x10 like the following pics. **Thanks Tony!**

51.jpg

52.jpg

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work :cheers:

BUT... do you think the two uprights will be OK? Since the grain of the wood runs the length of the boards... the outward pressure from the "V" hull may snap one of them. (just thinking)

Nice work :cheers:

BUT... do you think the two uprights will be OK? Since the grain of the wood runs the length of the boards... the outward pressure from the "V" hull may snap one of them. (just thinking)

You have a good point. I think I will attach another 2x4 or a 2x6 to the outside edge of of the 2x10's, just along the top of the other 2x4. I will post a pic with the added support.

must just be me!! I'm sure I can see them at home later...you never know what is blocked at work

I new I could see them from home!!! Good work buddy!!! Thanks for the pics:cheers:

Probably won't hurt that, unless you drop the ski.

Good job :cheers:

I hate moving skis from the trailer to the stand. I dam near killed my Genesis putting it on my trailer last summer. I was lifting it with a crane, and one of the lift straps snapped. So, the rest stretched enough that when it happened, it actually bounced off the stand leg. (thought it hit hard enough to break the hull)

I dam near killed my Genesis putting it on my trailer last summer. I was lifting it with a crane, and one of the lift straps snapped. So, the rest stretched enough that when it happened, it actually bounced off the stand leg. (thought it hit hard enough to break the hull)

How much does that Genesis weigh? That is your 4-seater right?

How much does that Genesis weigh? That is your 4-seater right?

Yep... it's 4 seater.

I think the dry weight is just under 700#. So... with fuel and oil... it was probably around 730#.

For a big ski... it's lighter than any of the new 4-stroke skis, and with the 1200 tripple... it's surprisingly fast. (56 ~57 mph)

The coolest feature on it, is the grab handle on the handlebars. Since I have a 4 year old... she can sit in front of me, and hold on. (I think SeaDoo needs to add that to the 3 seaters)

As an FYI... I've built a bunch of stands out of PVC. They are very strong, and easy to build... But I've never put anything bigger than a stand up ski on them.

Going to sticky this thread to the top for a little bit. Great job.

Either 3 big guys... or some times you can just slide it off the trailer.... OR, use a crane.

Either way... it's a pain with the bigger skis.

An old pump-up Barber chair makes a great Seadoo ski or engine stand. I used a 3/4"x20"x20" plywood with two 4"x6"x20" milled 29*'s.

(I'm cramped for space). GREAT JOB! Also makes a good base for shipping an engine.

Bill

Looks great and seems to be very tough to carry seadoo to a long distance, you seems to had work hard to build such tough stand, great work

A PWC stand is typically used to either store a ski or to move it around a shop or garage, they are not used for transporting a PWC.

Lou

Closing thread for now. If you have some info that you think should be added to this thread please PM me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back