How to add Genuine Seadoo electric VTS to your HX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

racerxxx

You read that correctly, genuine electric VTS on an HX. It fits so well and there is no hacking and I used all OEM parts, not even a spliced wire. All my donor parts came from a 95 SPX or a 96 SPX, I can't remember. But, the VTS is the one with the long like 62" cord and has 3 plugs. The 787 powered skis have a similar VTS but the power on those VTS boxes is drawn from the rear ebox. The 95 XP 720 and SPX's get the power from the front gray ebox.

181.jpg

20150719_103335_zpsu91aby1p.jpg

You need to add wiring to power the VTS. Here is the original HX box.

182.jpg

20150718_182358_zpsk9vsbk5x.jpg

The parts. I took the fuse holder in the top left, it's 7.5 amp for the VTS. The ground is terminated on the ground stud, and the purple wire is power for the gauge. So, disconnect that from the ebox and remove the harness. Then add them to your gray box.

183.jpg

20150718_180633_zpsjtwljghx.jpg

You will need to open up one of the blocked wiring ports on the ebox. I used a 1/2" Forstner bit.

184.jpg

20150718_232324_zpsm8p1ensd.jpg

OK, now to drop the pump. Get your safety glasses on! The top right round blank is where the VTS rod will come thru. I used a 1" forstner bit and just finalized it with a dremel with a mini sanding drum on it. It's very tight in there. I did not use the centering divot to locate my bit, I went below that because I didn't want the hole to be crazy big.

185.jpg

186.jpg

187.jpg

20150718_214332_zpsmzpfjch3.jpg
20150718_214404_zpsbytdquma.jpg
20150718_215259_zpsnus9uqkc.jpg

Then try and fit the VTS unit and just use the nut on the back side to eyeball the alignment. I had to remove a little glass on the inside to make it a bit more level. The VTS rod was at a pretty crazy angle. So I just used the dremel again and knocked down the high spots.

20150718_222559_zpsode4zjfo.jpg

188.jpg

You don't use the spacer that is on most VTS units. I just loaded it up with Permatex Ultra black RTV. I also used the OEM rubber washer and the OEM VTS nut. I put a little grease on the underside of the nut where it meets the VTS seal. I wanted it to slip when I tightened it up and not roll the seal out. Please pay close attention and look to make sure you didn't deform the seal. I used my home made VTS nut tool which is a 3' piece of black ABS pipe for plumbing that I heated and jammed onto a VTS nut and let cool. You can carefully get the VTS nut super tight and that is all you need to mount the VTS box, no other support is needed. The only other spot that I tweaked was where the pump meets near the VTS nut. It's pretty close to the nut so I just clearanced the pump ear just a little with the dremel, you want to make sure the pump sits flush.
20150718_225457_zpsqwstqysk.jpg

189.jpg

190.jpg

191.jpg

New OEM VTS boot and the updated clamps

192.jpg

Stock 96XP adjustable trim rod. I also changed the trim ring. The HX trim ring has a smaller hole, you could drill your's out to accept the plastic elbow or just use any trim ring that had electric VTS on it with a 140 pump.

193.jpg

194.jpg

195.jpg

The unit has plenty of clearance for the hatch. The just remove the cowling and run your wires and replace the switch housing with the one with the VTS switches. I had an extension wiring harness the [MENTION=33508]ocod[/MENTION] sent up a long time a go in a box of spaghetti. It worked perfect, 3 pin male to female just the wire colors were different. That you will need to wire up the switches. You will nee a GM weatherpac pin extractor to run the wires thru the steering column. All in all it's pretty straight forward. I bounced a few questions off [MENTION=51824]Matt Braley[/MENTION] and he got me straight. About 3 to 4 hours if you have everything planned out, maybe less. Hack free and you can say it's all OEM. Now off to the river to enjoy the HX even more.

196.jpg

197.jpg

198.jpg

199.jpg

Attachments

• 20150718_221519_zpslunvaepj.jpg
    20150718_221519_zpslunvaepj.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Very Cool!
Glad that box came in handy.

I almost threw out the box of spaghetti the other week. Said to myself I don't think there's anything I'll ever use. Until last night, lol.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Ride report:

It was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's so nice to have full control of the VTS, that Ronco Trim (Set it and forget it (infomercial)) is for the birds. I could trim all the way down and force the hull into the water while coming into a turn and just paste it thru the turn with no fear of sliding. The other nice thing is trim up all the way, as you trim it up you can feel the ski get faster. Where I had my trim set before I would occasionally feel really sketchy cutting across a triple roller boat wake. Now when I see it I can trim down and just cut thru the wake like it's nothing. This truly is the best stock mod you can do. I rode for just under 3 hours and burnt the tank of gas, currently, my arms are wasted. All I did was cut turns for the entire tank of gas. Now I need to install my splash guard cause I get a face full of water if I trim all the way down and crank it thru a turn.

Very nice,,,,

I use my trim all the time. Can't imagine a ski without it.

Well done on the pictures and the project itself...

Love it! Trouble is that it'll be hard to ever get you off that thing. Restored X4's will get lonely.

Love it! Trouble is that it'll be hard to ever get you off that thing. Restored X4's will get lonely.

Oh man you're so right. While a stock 787 X4 will probably beat me in a drag race as soon as they hit small chop or a boat wake, I'll lose them! I did take the clapped ski and since it was on the trailer and in the water I gave it a little run time on the trailer, just so it didn't feel left out of the party scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back