Hey guys upcoming new owner!!!! Need some advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

txruffhouse18

I've seen abunch of "Newbie" posts on here so I know I'm going to be another one but I NEED some help with this!!!!!

I have about $5,000 to either put down or pay out right on a boat just to start off. I've never owned a boat and have only been on a I/O Glastron boat and it wasnt bad but it was great if you know what I mean. I dont know alot about jet boats but I do like how there is no prop and also the maneuverability of them also. I'm mainly looking to carry anywhere from 3-6 maybe 7 ppl at time ( I'm 22 yrs old and would like to be able to have a few friends on it), I would like to use it to fish, pull tubes, skies, and wakeboards. So here's my ?'s

1) I was wondering about the Mercury engine? Is it realiabe? or will it be a pain in the butt to maintain? (I know boat need alot of attention I just dont want a ton of extra baggage. I was looking at the twin rotex egines they seem to be a little bit better like the one in the '05 Sportster.

2) How many horsepowers will I need be needing to ba able to enjoy all these activites?

3) What should I be expecting buying a boat and also keeping up with it?

Any help would be awesome......

Beware of the Merc. It's a great motor but it is EXPENSIVE to replace. Parts are pricey as well. If you're going to go with it, make sure there is a good Mercury parts / repair shop where you can get help.

with that much, you can get an 18ft Sportster or Challenger 1800 otd...97-00 ish.
Sportster/challenger 1800's, carry 7 people,, twin 2-stroke, Sportster is 170hp, Challenger 220hp.
When out look'n, keep compression tester in pocket, and before seal'n deal, rip it at the water...good luck

If you can afford to spend a little more or get a loan, I'd suggest to try and find a 2005-up sportster 180 or challenger 180, or an 1800 that has the 4-stroke motor.
a single 185hp 4-stroke is much cleaner and quieter than two 85 or 110hp 2-strokes, and also it is cheaper to maintain and to replace than the mercury engines (also quieter than the merc's iirc)

You'll pay a little more now, but it will be worth it later. Especially if your waterway starts to require 4-stroke boats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back