Has anyone tried synthetic car oil in your 4 stroke non supercharged skis?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Jetskier2009

Fellow Riders, I would like to get your inputs and reflect from your experiences. In my previous ski (2009 GTI SE 130) I used Castrol Synthec 5W-40 after the 10 hrs period. So far I logged 56 hrs. without any sign of problem and yet the average top speed that was registered in the spedo is 94-96 km/hr max (I asked the dealer to reprogram my ski from U.S unit of measurement to Canadian unit when I bought it) and consistent every time it is in the water and also very agile. But now I don't have my GTI SE so I cannot continue my experiment.....But I do have a 2010 GTX 155 (I traded in my GTI) and presently has 5 hrs on it....I am wondering shall I continue my experiment in using 4 stroke full synthetic car oils or stick to the stock oil of XPS synthetic blend as says in the manual. Also it is stated in the manual that if XPS is not available, "use a 5W-40 or 10W-40 engine oil meeting the requirements for API service classification SM, SL or SJ. Always check check the API service label cert on the oil container, it must contain at least one of the above standards".......mmmm does it mean, I can use 4 stroke Amsoil brand, or Shell Nautilus 4 stoke outboard or Mobil or Castrol etc... as long it meets the approved replacement oil????? I am thinking of using 10W-40 Amsoil which is a little cheaper than XPS yet it is full sythetic....or continue with 5W-40 Castrol Synthec which is presently on sale at Canadian Tire.... please fellow riders share your experiences......

Last edited by a moderator:
Oil

Yes you can use automotive type oil {as long as it meets the API S/G S/J ect. I use Valvoline full sny. 5W40 and have since my 10 hr. service. Now this is only for N/A and not the supercharged skis.

Back