2009 GTI 4-Tec 130 Buring Oil (Blue Smoke in the Exhaust)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoys1966

I just picked up a 2009 GTI 4-Tec 130 with (80 hrs). I though I got it for a good deal as the previous own said it was losing oil and had an oil leak in the bilge and did not want to mess with it. It started right up and i only ran it briefly on the Trailer so bought it. I found the leak in the driveshaft bellows (Threaded Driveshaft Connection ) and replaced it. Now that I have ran it more there is a good amount of Blue Smoke coming from the exhaust and the sparkplug is black and wet. I did a Compression Test and the # 3 Cylinder is about 15% Lower than 1 & 2 (150 PSi for cyl#3- 178 for cyl1&2) . Following previous Threads I did a leakdown test showed # leaking at about %25 Percent where the other cylinders are about 15%. I am pretty sure I have an Intake Valve Leak. Adding oil to the #3 Cylinder did not raise the compression but I also heard slighly more air coming from the crankcase.

My question(s) is, with those #s and the fact that adding oil to cylinder during the compression test did not raise comression at all, should I remove the head, visually inspect the pistons and valves and replace the only the bad valve as valve seal?

Compression (Operating Temp)
#1 176 psi - LeakDown 15%
#2 180 psi - LeakDown 15%
#3 150 psi - LeakDown 25%

Thanks in advance

I would pull the head and have it vacuum tested at a machine shop, 1 minute test. I suspect you are correct and it's unlikely at 80 hours that your piston/cylinders have issues unless it sat with water in the cylinders which you will be able to see with the head off. The machine shop will then be able to fix everything to like new condition and all you should supply them with is new valve seals which are cheap.

Pulling the head will require new head gasket, stretch bolts, etc so you will have at least $300 in it.

Finally got around to doing a second leak down test. Sound of Air in the Exhaust could be heard. I removed the Head on this GTI130 and confirmed one of the exhaust valves is leaking. When inspecting the rest of the engine I can see the flywheel has the double ring to drive a Supercharger. The Previous owner did buy it used but said he was told it was all original. Did Seadoo ever send these NA motors out with a double geared flywheel? How can I tell if this is really a 215 Hp block that had the PTO cover changed? This engine tag is Green built on 11/2008

Attachments

• 20220820_131137.jpg
    20220820_131137.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220823_135613.jpg
    20220823_135613.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back