Traveler101

My grandson’s 2013 GTI 130 SE was wintered last fall with no issues. This spring on startup it’s running rough on idle and blowing blue smoke. Runs fine on high end planned out. I did a compression check no 3 cyl. got 90psi other two cyl. At 150/155PSI. When I removed number 3 cyl plug it was covered in oil. Haven’t done a valve leak test, but does this sound like a piston ring or valve issue? And if a valve issue anyone have some quick fix ideas? Summers coming and Grandson is bummed.

Sounds like a stuck ring, just curious did you do the storage procedure outlined in the operators manual? Fog the cylinders?

Unfortunately no winterizing was performed. I’m not familiar with a stuck ring. Any thing we can do short of a ring job. Was thinking spraying Seafoam deep creep into the cylinder. Oil smoke is pretty bad on idle, looks like a 2 cycle.

Worth a try, also a 50/50 acetone and ATF, its probably rust not carbon. Let it soak for awhile, then turn the engine over in drown mode and keep rechecking compression. Let it soak, try again.

Pull the plug and use an articulating scope to inspect the cylinder. I had a bad issue last season ... melted a piston. I burned through the cylinder liner too.Cyl 3 pic 8 w_cyl wall.jpg

Back