hacking speed sensor and ecu, 2002 gtx 4-tec

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmrwash

just purchased, need speed. has anyone hacked the ecu to remove the speed limiter in the ecu or modified the speed sensor? yes i know i can speed $$ for a programmer and even more $$ for the codes to be loaded. the siemens controller are some of the most generic controllers out there are are widely re-flashed. i am search for how to do this. i am also locking at a frequency divider to lower input frequency into the ecu so it will not limit the speed. by missing around withe sensor i have already hit 73.6 mph (logged by GPS) while the display was reading 60mph. would like any input.

No one. Really! it's free speed. These early 4-tec's are limited at 60mph. How about putting a mega squirt on a 4-tec engine? or a Frequency divider in line with the speed sensor? (makes the ecu think it's going slower than it is)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the deal here is that they may indeed be limited to 60 MPH, but I don't think the ski is physically capable of going that fast. I've never seen a 155 go about 55-57 on glass. Maybe the supercharged ones will. But in order for any programmed "speed limiter" to take effect, the ski has to first reach that speed. And I don't think a 155 GTX can. I could be wrong though

I think the deal here is that they may indeed be limited to 60 MPH, but I don't think the ski is physically capable of going that fast. I've never seen a 155 go about 55-57 on glass. Maybe the supercharged ones will. But in order for any programmed "speed limiter" to take effect, the ski has to first reach that speed. And I don't think a 155 GTX can. I could be wrong though

First thank you for replying. My ski is stock to the best of my knowledge except for the nozzle reducer I 3d printed and bonded in. I am the third owner of a ski that only had 73 hours. with or without the reducer it would only hit an indicated 60mph, 54-57mph on my gps. After trying out some resisters I stuck into the speed sensor line it was still indicating 60mph but the gps was now logging speeds in the seventies. I was a little off in in my last post, top speed logged was 76.3mph. Yes it was running against the rev limiter and the water had just a little ripple.
IMG_20170603_164507404.jpg

PWC industry agree with the coast guard to limit speeds to 65mph +/_ 5mph. (north America, 70mph international)

so i am looking for answers, and suppliers of performance parts.

I've never hit anywhere near 60 on my stock 2002. This might be an interesting thread although this is my wife's ski and she's
happy at 40...!

just purchased, need speed. has anyone hacked the ecu to remove the speed limiter in the ecu or modified the speed sensor? yes i know i can speed $$ for a programmer and even more $$ for the codes to be loaded. the siemens controller are some of the most generic controllers out there are are widely re-flashed. i am search for how to do this. i am also locking at a frequency divider to lower input frequency into the ecu so it will not limit the speed. by missing around withe sensor i have already hit 73.6 mph (logged by GPS) while the display was reading 60mph. would like any input.

There is no speed limiter in the early models. Main reason is that they are not that fast. Upper 50's is the fastest you will ever get a 2002 GTX going. Your GPS unit is broken if it is showing over 70 on this model.

First thank you for replying. My ski is stock to the best of my knowledge except for the nozzle reducer I 3d printed and bonded in. I am the third owner of a ski that only had 73 hours. with or without the reducer it would only hit an indicated 60mph, 54-57mph on my gps. After trying out some resisters I stuck into the speed sensor line it was still indicating 60mph but the gps was now logging speeds in the seventies. I was a little off in in my last post, top speed logged was 76.3mph. Yes it was running against the rev limiter and the water had just a little ripple.
View attachment 32795

PWC industry agree with the coast guard to limit speeds to 65mph +/_ 5mph. (north America, 70mph international)

Not possible. Your GPS unit is broken.

Put the GPS unit in your car and compare the two. If you are going 70 in your car and the GPS reads 90, then your gps is bad. If they are pretty close, within 2-3mph, your gps is likely okay. However, I have never crested 60 on a 155hp seadoo engine. My speedster with the 215hp barely would reach 55-57mph, but it is pushing more weight. There is a reason they limit it to the range they do though. It will cause much more stress to your engine to constantly run the engine at the limiter. A good 60 plus mph would be pretty nice on that engine though. If you can figure out how to pick a speed and limit it to that, then many more people here would likely get on board with that. The 155hp engine is a great engine but it could use just a little more umph. Good luck and keep us updated.

There is no speed control on your model year. Only a rev limiter set at 7650 RPM. On the water, you should see a max RPM of 7300 - 7400 stock. Speed control first came out on the 2010 RXT & GTX iControl models. There is no way a stock 2002 GTX 4-Tec will go over 60 MPH. Were you going down a river when you used your GPS?

Chester

My supercharged GTX of the same vintage only got up to 63, but I suspect it was always cavitating a bit as it had an egged wear ring and a poorly remanufactured impeller. I wonder if his speed was due to the reduction of the nozzle. Reducing the nozzle diameter would force the water out faster, hence pushing the ski to greater speeds. Curious, what diameter IS your current nozzle? Did you change the steering nozzle any?

Can you take pics of the resistors and what size you used?
View attachment 32795

Can you take some pics of the resistors in place and let us know what size you used?

Usually when people tune their engine they usually strengthen it example stiffer springs different valves , and better Quality flywheel bolts . When you go take limiter off you are asking for engine trouble . I mean how do you know that this xtra Rpm you are giving it isn't gonna make your engine lean out .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back