Grey Gas lines

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ray4181

Hello everyone, Just wondering about my 1998 GTX Limited. On here I've been reading that the grey gas lines need to be replaced. Mine runs fine other then I need to pump the throttle 3-4 times when starting cold. Should I really need to replace these? The dealer want $350.00 to do this. Thanks for your help.

Yes....

Yes you should replace them, if your not having a problem you will be soon!!
If you have any mechanical ability at all it's not that difficult, you need some 1/4 fuel line and about 25ft and 10-14 stainless screw clamps.. The parts are less than $50.00 and it will take a couple of hours.. The filters in the carbs clog from the green slime produced from these lines.. Everyone here is great and tons of great information.. If you have a question just ask.. If your a premium member you can access to all the manuals too..

Good response roneagan...the problem is the gray fuel lines deteriorate over time and clogg the carbs. It's not about"if"you have this problem, but "when" you have this problem with the gray fuel lines. Replace them.

Try Auto Zone for the black fuel line and stainless steel clamps.

Karl

Thank You for the replies. I'm going to do it myself, I checked it out doesn't look to hard, little tight by the carbs but I think I can do it. My only question would be, When I'm all done how do I build up the fuel presure and get fuel back in the lines?

Replace them one at a time and be sure that you change the ones between the carbs also.:cheers:

A little tight?...

Thank You for the replies. I'm going to do it myself, I checked it out doesn't look to hard, little tight by the carbs but I think I can do it. My only question would be, When I'm all done how do I build up the fuel presure and get fuel back in the lines?

Seeing the statement, "a little tight" makes me think your going to replace them with the carbs on. You need to remove the carbs and clean them out. If you do nothing else, you need to remove the covers and check the filters.

I bought a 97 GTX this summer and it has the grey fuel lines. I just now got around to start changing them and my PTO filter was completly blocked.

You can click on the link below in my signature for the "snipes korner" and you'll see a thread I did, complete with pix of these fuel lines, split in two so you can actually see the damage. The fuel line becomes soluable when it disentagrates and it passes through your micro mesh filters into the carbs jetting........They need to be cleaned as well.

Apply the choke and it should pull fuel back into the system.

Karl

I replaced all of the fuel lines on my 96 GTX today and it took about 2 hours. it took every bit of 20 feet of fuel line as well as 22 hose clamps. Take your time and replace them one at a time to be sure to not get the lines mixed up. I also cleaned the forward fuel filter and the filters in the carbs.

Filters....?

If your filters in the carb are black in color, you need to replace them. Do not attempt to clean or re-use them. Even if you get them, what appears to be clean, they have a restriction because you cannot remove all the goo that solidifies on them. It's not worth taking the chance of running a lean engine............:cheers:

Thank You

Thanks everyone for your help!! It sounds a little to much for me to handle myself, I found a mechanic that works at the local marine shop who will do it on the side for $280. He's going to take off the carbs, take them apart and clean, then replace all the grey lines:) Thanks again for all the great advise!!

Fuel selector and filter....

Don't forget to mention to him that you need the selector valve removed and cleaned too. Look up at the picture in that post I made and you'll see mine was just about clogged up..........

And you'll want the micro mesh filters inside the carbs replaced, not cleaned.

Since the cost of material is only $30 bucks or so, he's making some good money, so make sure he does it well.........:cheers:

Gas line replacement

I have a 1998 GTX and have not replaced the gas line. I have always had to pump the gas several times with the first start even when I bought it new in 98. What are the symptoms of needing to replace the gas lines?

You dont need to wait for symptoms. Replace them now-at the beginning of the season, so you can hopefully have a trouble free year. You risk damaging your engine if the fuel filters get restricted, as the engine will run hot and lean.
for $30-40$ its worth taking the precaution and eliminating something that WILL go wrong in the future.

Please see next reply.

Sorry, inadvertant post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vent Lines

Hi,

I have replaced all of the fuel lines, cleaned the main filter, and checked the carb filters, no sign of green slime and the carb filters were also O.K.

My question is; do I also need to replace the gray vent lines ? It would appear to me that these would not need to be replaced since they are not a part of the fuel delivery system.

Thanks,

Lou

You're right. You dont have to replace the vent lines as they do not carry fuel. One thing you didnt mention and must do is clean the slector valve. No point in cleaning your fuel system and forgetting this selector valve. You'd waste all that time cleaning your carbs, then in a year or so, you'd have to clean it all again!

Changing grey fuel lines

I just bought a 1999 GTX Limited. The previous owner just recently had the carbs done but never replaced the fuel lines. i want to replace and am wondering if I have to take off the black exhaust pipe or can I replace them without removing it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Grey Fuel Lines

You don't need to remove anything with the exception of the breather box, easy. Be sure to check the main fuel filter and you should also plan on replacing the fuel selector valve.

Just replace the hoses one at a time following the original routes. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.

Lou

Thanks I'll give it a try. It looks like it's gonna be a tight squeeze though. Any thoughts on what kind of fuel lines to buy? I was looking at some automotive fuel lines at our local garage and they look ok to me. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back