Good Jet Boat?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

05GTXSC

I am looking for a cheap SeaDoo jet boat something that needs work, what year's should I look at and what engine is the best, just looking for something to have a little fun with and spend time with my dad working on. We live in Maine so I can get something cheap right know. I just want a project for this winter while we are not snowmobiling I don't want to spend anything over 2000$ + the parts for it.

That'll be tough....!

If your looking for a jet boat and don't want to spend anymore than 2k + parts, I don't know if you'll be looking for a Seadoo.

Not being cocky but even the older mid to late 90's model Speedsters, Challengers and Sportsters will set you back 4k, 3k at the very least.

These boats seem to hold their value pretty good due to the quality of their construction.

I would recommend a 96 or 97 Challenger because it is small, 14 feet and is fast, with the 787cc twin carbed engine. The others have the 717cc engine. There nice too, really dependable because it was the last engine Rotax designed without the RAVE assembly.

I bought my 97 model Challenger with a bad carb and still paid over 4k...:cheers:

Challenger?.......

I don't know. This may be a matter of opinion here. I agree the speedster twin engine 717 is a nice set up. But my 787cc Challenger is also fast, nimble and easy to wake or kneeboard behind.

The only issue I had with the one time I drove a twin engine (1800 Challenger), it wasn't as maneurvable as mine due to the throttle driving both engines. You couldn't power up one engine in a reverse/forward set up for docking or spinning around in close quarters.

But, that's what it's all about. The opinion of many for a good idea of what others are working with............:cheers:

Hey I bet if you were in a weedy lake you could shut off one engine and coast to shore. Then when you leave you use the same engine that was running (will now be clogged). troll out to deep water then fire up the other engine and hit the gas. You should have enough power to get on plane and then the weeds will be pushed off the other engine with the speed of the boat. never had a dual engine seadoo. Just a thought that it might be an advantage in this kind of a situation.

Well I have been looking around here and I have seen many 95-98's for 1500 to 2500 I am not looking for something that needs a carb cleaning or something like that I am looking more along the lines of a rebuild just nothing that needs hull work a single engine would be fine I am not looking to be the fastest on the lake in the boat . already am on the 05 GTX SC just something thing to have fun with a spend time with the old man working on.

With the economy in the dumpster, like it is right now, you pretty well can keep an eye on Craigslist, and eBay, and another thing, sometimes you can type into Google something like this:

"Sportster boat Arkansas for sale" (Or wherever you are at the time, Christmas travel ahead you know) and find little start up advertisements, that you may just luck across a good deal.

Buyers market, and cash talks well right now.

Nate

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back