General tips and advice for someone with no experience in mechanics?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkenney95

Hello all

Im brand new to this forum so hopefully im posting this in the right place and following all the rules; advise if otherwise.

a few days ago i purchased a '93 SeaDoo XP Bombardier. This is the first time ive ever owned any sort of watercraft, and not only that, but i have no experience in small engine mechanics. I am eager and excited to learn, but i think i just need a little help as to where i can get started.

I pulled the manual for my SeaDoo model and gave it a quick run through, but its of course 300 pages and im having a hard time keeping up with it all. So to keep it simple, im hoping someone can point me in the right direction with regards to where i can begin my journey with learning how to maintain, troubleshoot, and understand the components to the engine well enough to identify issues or where i can add replacements/upgrades.

Here are a few things id like to know:

this is obviously a used jetski. i know the engine starts and runs, but i havent taken it out yet. is there a list of items i need to go over before taking it out on the water?

i see that it has an oil injection system. does this mean i dont need to mix oil with my gasoline?

since its an older model, im sure theres plenty of wear. are there some easy-to-replace parts i can start off with that would improve longevity and performance?

is it bad to start the engine out of water?

ultimately, i just dont even know where to start with my research. i would be very grateful if someone can point me in the right direction. im sure a general understanding of small engine mechanics would benefit me greatly.

Thank you for any help, tips, or advice you can share with me

A big welcome to the Seadoo family. You came to the right place and we will get you set up on your way as a seadoo owner.

You already bought the ski but read this for a good overview Buying a Used Seadoo.

Secondly, don't just go ride it as it typically ends bad. You need to go over a new to you ski and make sure everything is good to go. I would suggest at minimum a carb rebuild Seadoo Carb Rebuild Thread

1. It should have oil injection but some people disconnect them which isn't a good idea on a Seadoo. You need to verify the system is still connected and working and you are only running API-TC injection oil.
2. Don't try to get more performance, just make sure everything is serviced and working correctly.
3. Yes you can run them out of the water but only for about a minute without water. You can run them on a hose but you have to never have the water on without the engine running or you will flood the cylinders with water. The order is engine running then turn water on, then water off and finally engine off last.

4. Post pictures of the inside and out so we can help.

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your first ski!

There are many things to double-check before going out to ride as Miki has mentioned.

It's great you already have the manual. Seadoo did an amazing job with their manuals and they are your best friend.

Miki's "buying a used seadoo thread" will be incredibly helpful and will alert you to a lot of the things you need to check on.

Among those things and what is my first question for anyone who just bought their first seadoo is always going to be - What color are the fuel lines? If they are grey you will be getting to know your fuel system pretty intimately before starting this thing again. This will also say without a doubt that you will need to rebuild the carb(s). Miki's Carb rebuild sticky will be a huge help on that front.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, this is one of the nicest and most welcoming forums I have ever been a part of. However, it is good to know that there is a search feature, and a google search with the term "seadoo" will almost always net you threads from these forums.

I look forward to seeing some pics of the inside of the hull so we can get a better idea of what you're looking at. My biggest piece of advice and I'm sure many people on here will agree is that having a lot of patients is going to be a big deal. It's hard to buy one of these things and not just jump on it and go, but your due diligence will keep the thing from becoming a money pit (though expect to spend some money regardless).

Again, welcome!

A big welcome to the Seadoo family. You came to the right place and we will get you set up on your way as a seadoo owner.

You already bought the ski but read this for a good overview Buying a Used Seadoo.

Secondly, don't just go ride it as it typically ends bad. You need to go over a new to you ski and make sure everything is good to go. I would suggest at minimum a carb rebuild Seadoo Carb Rebuild Thread

1. It should have oil injection but some people disconnect them which isn't a good idea on a Seadoo. You need to verify the system is still connected and working and you are only running API-TC injection oil.
2. Don't try to get more performance, just make sure everything is serviced and working correctly.
3. Yes you can run them out of the water but only for about a minute without water. You can run them on a hose but you have to never have the water on without the engine running or you will flood the cylinders with water. The order is engine running then turn water on, then water off and finally engine off last.

4. Post pictures of the inside and out so we can help.
Thank you for the warm welcome, and the helpful insight. im excited to be a part of this friendly community. both of your references are very helpful and have given me a good path to start on. I will post some pictures tonight. One of the things i did notice is that the oil is blue... im guessing that based off your post you linked i will need to flush that oil out and replace it?

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your first ski!

There are many things to double-check before going out to ride as Miki has mentioned.

It's great you already have the manual. Seadoo did an amazing job with their manuals and they are your best friend.

Miki's "buying a used seadoo thread" will be incredibly helpful and will alert you to a lot of the things you need to check on.

Among those things and what is my first question for anyone who just bought their first seadoo is always going to be - What color are the fuel lines? If they are grey you will be getting to know your fuel system pretty intimately before starting this thing again. This will also say without a doubt that you will need to rebuild the carb(s). Miki's Carb rebuild sticky will be a huge help on that front.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, this is one of the nicest and most welcoming forums I have ever been a part of. However, it is good to know that there is a search feature, and a google search with the term "seadoo" will almost always net you threads from these forums.

I look forward to seeing some pics of the inside of the hull so we can get a better idea of what you're looking at. My biggest piece of advice and I'm sure many people on here will agree is that having a lot of patients is going to be a big deal. It's hard to buy one of these things and not just jump on it and go, but your due diligence will keep the thing from becoming a money pit (though expect to spend some money regardless).

Again, welcome!
thanks Nick - im excited to be a part of this community! i have not yet checked the color of the fuel lines, but will do so when i get home; that is very valuable information that im glad i learned before taking it out. Im guessing the material for the fuel lines should be black? ill post pictures sometime tonight

Yes, typically the blue oil is wrong and since you can't be sure you should drain, flush and refill with the correct oil and a new inline oil filter. Also a great time to replace the leak-prone rubber grommets in the bottom of the oil tank. And small 3/32" oil injection lines on the oil pump.

thanks Nick - im excited to be a part of this community! i have not yet checked the color of the fuel lines, but will do so when i get home; that is very valuable information that im glad i learned before taking it out. Im guessing the material for the fuel lines should be black? ill post pictures sometime tonight

yeah if the lines are grey they are the original seadoo tempo lines. The ethanol that is in gas these days eats away at the inside of them and creates this gross green sludge that will clog everything up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back