Learning how how to do my own mechanics

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Hi im new to this and trying to learn how to work on my seadoos soi been reading alot of threads on here and been reading alot on "cranking it over with the spark plugs out " what exactly does that mean and how does one do that... i reallly appreciate the advice

Cranking it over with plugs out just means take the spark plugs out, ground the plug wire boots to the grounding posts on the seadoo, usually the grounding posts will have a little orange plastic around the base of them. Then hit the start button so that the starter is turning the engine over. I’m pretty new to working on them myself, my advice would be to read through the manuals if you want to learn and then this forum is excellent for asking questions. I felt like if I was going to own these machines I needed to learn to work on them because it’s hard to find anyone who will and it can get expensive, good luck

Hi im new to this and trying to learn how to work on my seadoos soi been reading alot of threads on here and been reading alot on "cranking it over with the spark plugs out " what exactly does that mean and how does one do that... i reallly appreciate the advice
Cranking it over with plugs out just means take the spark plugs out, ground the plug wire boots to the grounding posts on the seadoo, usually the grounding posts will have a little orange plastic around the base of them. Then hit the start button so that the starter is turning the engine over. I’m pretty new to working on them myself, my advice would be to read through the manuals if you want to learn and then this forum is excellent for asking questions. I felt like if I was going to own these machines I needed to learn to work on them because it’s hard to find anyone who will and it can get expensive, good luck

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 1
So i got it to crank and switched out the spark plugs and she sounds great... gonna test her out tomorrow.... thanx again

So i got it to crank and switched out the spark plugs and she sounds great... gonna test her out tomorrow.... thanx again
That’s good to hear, what do you have for a machine? I thought I should mention since your fairly new to these, if it happens to run like crap, hopefully not but if it does don’t keep driving it, bring it in, and figure out what’s wrong with it. running them when they aren’t running properly can damage the engine. Good luck tomorrow

👍that’s a 657?
Yes sir its 657..... btw took it out for a spin today she runs good ... it tops off at 50 ...would u happen to know if thats average speed for a gtx that year... i noticed there isnt many mods as far as that year goes... any recommendations to gain more speed other than replacing the impeller?

That’s great she’s running good, compared to the machines I have 50 is good, doubt you will get much more for top end out of it even with any mods if there are any. All my skis are stock so I’ve never really looked into them

You will not get more out of it. Just enjoy it for what it is.
Also an impeller is just like gearing a car, the more top end you get eh less bottom end you will have, it just moves the power. Seadoo was really good at selecting impellers for these.

You will not get more out of it. Just enjoy it for what it is.
Also an impeller is just like gearing a car, the more top end you get eh less bottom end you will have, it just moves the power. Seadoo was really good at selecting impellers for these.
Ok i kinda figured...ok thanx again i really appreciate you sharing your knowledge ... it was alot of help... 👍🏼

Back