VTS boot - How to clamps

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

thejuice48

There are some older threads in how to remove / replace the VTS boot with the older hose clamps, but none for those with the plastic clamps already in place.

I need to replace the boot because it has never been done and the VTS motor was obviously damaged by water so I don't want that happening again.

How do I release these plastic clamps that are on there, and how does the boot fit over the end of the rod that sticks out. It doesn't appear from the outside anyway that anything is detachable or that it will fit through the small end of the boot.

After getting the boot off, I realized the one I had from years ago may be the wrong VTS boot. The diameter of the large sections which attaches to the outside hull connectors was much smaller. I ordered a new one from Missouri. I guess this project is on hold for another who knows how long time. Maybe my buzzer will arrive today.

Sorry, the plastic clamps are just pried apart with a small screwdriver. Once you start you will see how the ratchet teeth disengage.

I ordered a whole other boot kit. There seems to be an issue with people falsely listing parts under wrong part numbers on ebay. I would purchase locally but that does not seem to be an option. I know I'll end up buying a new jetski some day, but I'm not sure it will be another seadoo since they are making it so difficult to fix your own stuff in emergency on the water. Who wants a 20K ski that sinks because you can't get into the hull to tighten a water line, or simply make sure everything is ok without removing a bunch of bolts and clips. That's okay for on land issues, but you can't test water issues on land, and can't really run your ski even on a hose for that long without over heating something or causing damage to something else. Makes you wonder how the dealers do it.

I ordered a whole other boot kit. There seems to be an issue with people falsely listing parts under wrong part numbers on ebay. I would purchase locally but that does not seem to be an option. I know I'll end up buying a new jetski some day, but I'm not sure it will be another seadoo since they are making it so difficult to fix your own stuff in emergency on the water. Who wants a 20K ski that sinks because you can't get into the hull to tighten a water line, or simply make sure everything is ok without removing a bunch of bolts and clips. That's okay for on land issues, but you can't test water issues on land, and can't really run your ski even on a hose for that long without over heating something or causing damage to something else. Makes you wonder how the dealers do it.
We have a test tank at my shop.but for water leaks is very simple.if it leaks not running fill hull up with water look for leaks.if it is a running water leak very few places for it to leak.and if it's a running leak a flush hose can find it.its not like the water bypasses while it is running

When you order the boot kit you generally get new clamps. I like the ones you removed but wouldn't hesitate to use zip ties. :D Those boots are alway cracking and leaking, best to replace them and eliminate future issues. Problem with ordering parts is you're 4 days out every time you need to order. Thankfully I have plenty of parts so I just chug right along. Good Luck. :D

When you order the boot kit you generally get new clamps. I like the ones you removed but wouldn't hesitate to use zip ties. :D Those boots are alway cracking and leaking, best to replace them and eliminate future issues. Problem with ordering parts is you're 4 days out every time you need to order. Thankfully I have plenty of parts so I just chug right along. Good Luck. :D
The new VTS boot kit arrived. I ordered it by part number (using the original PN on the original boot) from JetSkiPlus.com (as per recommendations). I now have what appears to be 3 different sizes, and the larger opening is still smaller than the original.

Original:

1679663562382.png

2nd:

1679663615493.png

3rd:

1679663660247.png

Length (original on the bottom):

1679663709514.png

What I'm going to try to stretch the one side out in the sun:

1679663761027.png

Otherwise, I see no way that this boot can fit back over the thru fitting when the exterior diameter of the lip is 1":

1679663820216.png

I haven't had a problem with the ones I have purchased and I've never measured them. :) That is kind of odd because I am a machinist by trade. LOL As long as they fit onto the sealing surfaces the clamp should hold them tight. I think I've had a couple that were tight but I got them on. Did you try grease? They expand and conform to the sealing surface so you should not have an issue. Good Luck.

Last edited:
I haven't had a problem with the ones I have purchased and I've never measured them. :) That is kind of odd because I am a machinist by trade. LOL As long as they fit onto the sealing surfaces the clamp should hold them tight. I think I've had a couple that were tight but I got them on. Did you try grease? They expand and conform to the sealing surface so you should not have an issue. Good Luck.
I ended up putting the one out in the sun forced on to that wratchet extension and let become soft and expand in the sun a bit (couple of hours). Then I took it over to the ski removed it from the wratchet, put some soap on the inside lip and fought it over the lip on the through hull fitting. Now though the worm arm isn't all the way through so I guess I need to install the VTS to hold the worm arm in place and force it through the other end.

But of course in removing more stuff to make more room in order not to break anything on the new VTS cover, I removed the back seat handle, rear airbox, and unhooked the rear electrical box. This of course made me aware of more stuff I need to replace...specifically the rear electrical box mount:

1679673839228.png

Well luckily I just found the mount on ebay for $26.00 free shipping from Minnesota. What do people do with jetskis in Minnesota? Are there lakes big enough to ride a jetski on?

Last edited:
The more you take apart on these skis the more you will find needs attention. Thats why I do complete restorations. That's the only way to insure reliability long term. I put everything back like it is suppose to be... don't care what's in it. LOL End result is good stuff though. Keep at it. LOL

On the boots I always use some silicone grease. It keeps the water out, will not harm the rubber and makes them all go on without a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back