Is there a how to/troubleshooting sticky thread for fuel gauges

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

LawnDart

My fuel gauge stopped reading correctly. It reads below the red then goes up above the red when you put the DESS key on the post.......so it's reading near empty when the tank is full. The orange low fuel warning switch blinks. I saw mention in other posts of a how-to guide but the links didn't work. Was unable to find it searching/browsing. Does one exist?

1998 Sportster 1800

I had the same issue on my 98 gtx ltd. The cap/screen fell off the bottom of my fuel pickup tube/sending unit and the float fell out. My float was also flooded with fuel. Could be either of those things or a sending unit circuit board problem or all three.

The problem wound up being a bad stator on the starboard engine. Replaced the stator and the fuel gauge magically repaired itself.

Yeah I have some weird electrical gremlins. Now the fuel gauge stopped reading correctly again after a couple hours running and the starboard engine isn't charging the battery. Stator and generating coil both have the correct static resistance. I replaced the rectifier. New battery. Port engine charges fine. Checked the block grounds back to the battery (0.2 ohm). Not sure where to go now.

Unrelated problems. Gas gauge problem was a bad wire going to the gauge and the starboard engine charging issue was simply a blown fuse in the sealed electrical box from when my stator went out. All fixed. It sucks the service manual doesn't have a wiring diagram. Would have been helpful.

Back