Newbie request for advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhanratt

So I am a brand new Seadoo owner as of 3 days ago. So far so good but I could use a little advice on a few things. I bought a 1998 GTI 720 CC from seller on a local internet site. He had all the right paperwork and the story seemed to check out. Skip straight to the questions below if you don't want the story.

It was represented by the seller to have a fresh rebuild with <20 hours ago on the engine with the 1st oversize kit. He advised that it originally failed in conjunction with a worn wear ring which failed to provide enough water to the motor. It came with a service manual with all the rebuild specs and instructions highlighted in yellow. He had not run it in three years and stated he had no time to get it running because he was moving. He also stated be put a new wear ring in and filed the impeller to clean up nicks. He said his machinist buddy helped to set the impeller up. The old ring was in the foot well of the seadoo. I put his battery in it and did a little troubleshooting on site and found that the electrical box was full of rusty water and the bilge was full of very oily water. The start relay was not working due to a three year bath in stagnant water so I shorted across the terminals and it cranked but would not start. The coil had also been bathing 3 years in the electrical box so there was also no spark. The seller returned and told me that the last time he was out it took on a bunch of water and he took it to a local mechanic who resealed the exhaust manifold and advised that he was confident that was the only issue. (Fresh red sealant apparent) He also advised that the mechanic said the automatic bailers should have kept up with it but they were plugged with leaves and junk. I tried a compression test on the cold engine and got 70 and 80 psi without opening the throttle or warming the engine. The price was right and it came with a mint trailer which was worth the asking price so I rolled the dice and I towed it home.

I dried out the coil and cleaned up the terminals and connections in the electrical box. I couldn't get parts in town so I drilled out the rivets on the relay and took it apart and cleaned the contacts and dried and lubricated it and put it back together with #6 nuts and bolts. The fuel in the tank was stabilized ethanol free supreme so I freshened it up with 5 gallons of 50:1 (oil pump delete kit). I hit the button and it fired right up. I killed it to prevent damage and hooked up a hose. I didn't know any better so I accidentally filled it with water before hitting the key and it would not turn over. DOHHH! (newbie mistake. I was too excited to ride and not excited enough about reading manuals!) So I pulled the plugs and blew the water out and tried again. It fired right up and seemed to idle well so I cautiously turned the hose back on just enough for water to escape the "tattle tail" I let it run until the engine warmed up to dry it up the inside. Then I stopped for the night and downloaded an operator manual ( That's where I found the proper flushing sequence).

The next morning I towed it to the lake for a test. It ran but poorly with no top end power and it cavitated on even the slightest wave. After 20 minutes it barely had enough power to get back on the trailer. It felt like a steadily declining fuel delivery problem so I towed it home and checked the spin on filter under the dash. It was clean. I tore the carb and fuel pump down and found a bit of gunk under the diaphram on the pulse side. I also found the little fuel filter in the carb was plugged off with fibrous material and junk. I cleaned everything including the fuel lines and put it back together and put in a new set of BR9ES plugs. I also put a ball valve on the flush adapter and closed it thinking that was probably the source of the cavitation.

That afternoon I took it back to the lake and it ran great from Idle through to full power. It only cavitated on large waves and I'm guessing is performing as it should? 45 mph on wide open throttle. I have probably put about 4 hours on it since then and it seems to run quite well. I also believe I found the source of bilge oil. The grommet was half out of the oil tank pick up which was allowing oil to spill when sloshed inside the tank.

QUESTIONS:

1. Is 45 mph / 65kph about right for this machine or should I expect more?
2. Can I run BR9ES plugs? The manual calls for BR8ES which is only one heat range away. (It didn't run well on the used BR8ES it came with but I haven't tried new)
3. Why do I have to keep oil in the injection tank if I'm running 50:1 mix? (The previous owner said he put in an injection delete kit and it is mandatory?)
4. Is there any other maintenance I should look at other than changing jet oil and greasing PTO and shaft?
5. The warning beeper is dead can I just install an old reverse beeper from my 1998 Skandic skidoo? It looks the same and I have one on hand?
6. How much suction should the bailers have? I can't detect any idling on a hose but maybe it has be fully in the water?
7. Am I correct to plug the flush port when the Seadoo is in use?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Jeff

Last edited:
1) 45 mph seems a little low, should probably be faster but anything is better than nothing (like mine right now :confused: is OK). Rebuild those carbs with ONLY genuine mikuni carb kits (anything else is a waste of time and money). There is a CARB rebuild sticky post on the forum....follow it to the letter for success.
2) Run with the specified plugs in the manual
3) The engines moving parts need oil - crankshaft, etc. - Taking the oil injection out was a mistake...the oil injection system is quite reliable and it is a myth to remove them arbitrarily.
4) Check all wiring connections, harnesses, etc......
5) Sure, try it, why not....if it fits and works - great
6)The suction siphons need the jet pump running in water to work...take the bailers out and clean them really well (mine were plugged with all sorts of schmutz when I bought my used '96 GTX), clean all the lines too as they gunk up internally from oily residue.
7) NO...the flush port is REALLY an OUTLET. You are reversing [back flushing] the cooling system on the hose (pushing water in), the hose inlet needs to be OPEN for warm water to EXIT the ski.

All of the above is correct. I will add that the reason you need to keep oil in the tank is to keep the rotary valve cavity filled. It’s gravity fed, and does not get oil from the crankcase.

Also, I know you cleaned the fuel lines, but have they been changed? If they are the grey lines, you need to pull them out and replace them with black automotive line.

Couple other things:
1) the spin on "filter" under the front hood is not a "filter" but a fuel/water separator. Check the O-ring for suppleness, replace otherwise....the goal is to remove/eliminate any source of air leaks into the fuel system.
2) As JeremyD615 indicated...replace any/all old grey tempo fuel lines with 1/4"black automotive fuel lines (25' will do it), all new clamps as well (no zip ties) - if not already done
3) replace the fuel selector switch too...the internal seal dries out over time (another source of air leak potentially) if not already done
4) check all electric connections for clean, bright & tight
5) make sure rectifier/regulator is "charging" the battery while under running conditions...,.meter the battery while running to see if voltage is 13.5 + vdc.
6) check compression AGAIN with cold engine - should be around 140/150 psi (I believe) each cylinder but both very close to each other either way....your numbers stated are very LOW....what guage are you using (Harbor freight guages are not reliable - if being used)...check again....your running speed would indicate better compression than 70/80 imho.
7) change oil filter (if condition unknown)

Thank you gents!

The compression gauge is used was the sellers I have no experience with it and agree that was way low. I questioned him on the gauge because I own one that I believe reads low and was very concerned with the numbers. I don't think that it would run at those numbers.
I will buy some new BR8ES plugs and swap.
I don't think I will rebuild the carb because other than the filter plugged it was mint. All jets clean and clear. all diaphrams supple. No Green, no rust, just a little black junk on pulse side of diaphram which I cleaned. There was a bit of green on the inlet and outlet fittings around the hose barbs.
I read up a bit about the fuel hoses and yes I have the grey tempo hoses. I guess that and a fuel selector switch come next.
I also read last night that I should be running 40:1 instead of 50:1. Can you confirm? I agree on the oil pump. I still run them on my skidoos and have never had a problem but done is done.
I did clean the bailers with solvent and blew out the hoses but there was no suction at idle on the hose.
I'm guessing that the pump needs to be submerged before the bailers make any suction.

Again Thank you for your sage advice.

40:1 should be right for your ski. Also, since you do have the grey lines, you definitely need to rebuild the carbs... Just do it AFTER you change the lines. You can plug the carb up within an hour running those lines. Even if they look spotless, it’s the internal ports that get plugged up, and carb/fuel problems are the primary cause for engine failures on these skis. If there is one place you don’t want to pinch pennies, this is it...

A pristine looking carb IS NOT NECESSARILY a clean carb....we (the forum) would not be pushing so aggressively on the carbs if we haven't all suffered the agonizing fate of a crappy running ski (on the water, RUNS GREAT ON THE TRAILER - we hear A LOT OF THAT) because of the grey tempo fuel lines wreaking minutia havoc with those carbs....SAVE yourself the aggravation....bite the proverbial bullet and follow the CARB rebuild sticky post (to the letter and enjoy the result) using only genuine MIKUNI rebuild kits.

The bailers don't work without the jet pump pulling a vacuum while in the water.....just get them clean and ship shape for IN WATER use.

NOTE too....the oil tank grommets may be "loose" or leaky...so, if you find a mysterious oil puddle in the ski someday (check the hoses coming out of the bottom of the tank) and/or the oil line connection under the engine (which you can't see or reach which may crack/tear over time - bad bad location but it is what it is....sigh).

45 is a little low. Just to give you an idea I have a 2001 xp I can hit high 60s almost 70 it’s bored .5 over. I would rebuild the carbs. Put the right plugs and tune the carb. I know mine is a 951 but a 720 you should hit mid to high 50s just my two cents

45 is a little on the slow side, but it’s not abnormal for a 720 GTI. In tip top shape they should run in the low 50’s. If you see 52 on a gps, I’d be thrilled...

Jaiello, you’re either reading your speed off of the Dream-O-Meter, or you’ve got a hell of a lot more than a slight overbore done. A stock 01XP is lucky to hit 60, and an additional 10mph would require a pipe, FA set, aftermarket head, and porting, as well as some significant reworking of the pump. It’s VERY rare to see a true 70mph XP on the water...

So as per your advice I changed out off of my fuel lines today. I did not replace the fuel selector because I did not have one on hand. I did pressure it up in all positions and could not find a leak. I was surprised to find more schmutz in the spin on filter and on your advice I went through the carb again. The was a little bit more schmutz in the little filter and a little fine sediment in an around the diaphrams. I will do a mikuni kit but I do not have one on hand. The ports in the carb were clean and not plugged.

I also hooked up and ran the wiring for the tach gauge that the previous owner had installed in the dash. (There was no wiring so the previous owner stopped after mounting the gauge.)

I changed the plugs back to BR8ES (new) but I honsetly think it ran better with the BR9ES.

So I ran it again and got 6450 rpm and 45 mph at WOT. (Speed confirmed with Garmin Gps.) I also discovered that there is a bit of throttle left on because If I pull the throttle cable between the lever and the bars I can get 6550-6600 rpm. (I will adjust cable tension in the am).

I ran 40:1 premix per the instructions on the forum.

I will do a carb kit soon and get a compression test but it's hard to fit it all in with work and family.

Seadoo runs ok but sometimes struggles to get past 4,000 rpm. It feels boggy in the midrange. I need to do a carb kit (I know) but for tomorrow is there any play in opening up the high speed jet just a titch?

BTW: pugs are new but look about right to me for new plugs. Starting to build a little tan deposit.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Ok I did a compression test with my own gauge. Unfortunately I believe this gauge reads way low.
(My old 1993 350 chev only read 120 psi and it ran like a top.)
(My 1998 Skidoo 500 Skandic runs like a champ and reads 110psi.)

The Seadoo reads (cold):
100 psi dead even with the throttle wide open.
95 psi dead even with throttle closed.

At least Iknow the compression is dead even.

Why do we need to run premix fuel instead of non-premix? Can we run non-premix?
I have a 1995 GTX with working oil injection system.

Why do we need to run premix fuel instead of non-premix? Can we run non-premix?
I have a 1995 GTX with working oil injection system.
If your oiling system is intact, there is no need to run pre-mix. Pre-mix is only run through the ski IF the oiling system has been blocked off for whatever silly reason.....the oiling system is quite robust and it is a myth to arbitrarily take it off the ski. Taking it off the ski simply means you will pay for and consume more oil than necessary.

The only "other" reason to run pre-mix is IF you are tinkering with the ski (carbs) and you are not necessarily utilizing the full capabilities of the oiling system (like under normal operating conditions). Under these circumstances though, you are only using very small amounts of pre-mix for testing purpose anyway...so no real harm IMHO.

Also, if you (or someone else) has never replaced the little oil lines from the pump to the carbs (very easy to tell, just look at the lines and if they are covered in factory paint, they are original)...it's probably times to change them - they are 3/32" TYGON tubing (Home Depot has it in the lawnmower section - or Amazon of course).

Last edited:
I would leave the adjusters alone if they are at the factory settings. You definitely need to adjust the throttle linkage, and install the new carb kit when it comes in. I think you’ll be running just fine when all of that is done. You’re still a little low on rpm, but I have a feeling that will be fixed with the linkage adjustment and carb work.

So I left the mix adjusters at the settings I found them at. The low speed was set where my manual said it should be. My manual said the high speed jet was adjustable up to 1/4" and not to remove the plastic cover. Of course I did when I cleaned the carb but I put it back where I found it.

Adjusting the throttle cable only added 1-2 mph and 200 rpm but it seemed to remove the stumble through mid range and makes it "feel" like its running right. It pulls well from idle through to wide open throttle.
I've probably run 4 full tanks of fuel through it and I'd say its running great.

Still 45-47 mph and still maxing out at 6600 rpm. A carb kit may give me just a little more.

I couldn't find my spare skidoo warning buzzer so I installed a 12v house alarm speaker in its place. If my kids overheat it I doubt they will be able to ignore it! I think it cost about $4 shipped from Bangood (China). No idea how long it will last in the steering bar pad.

I’m glad it seems to be running well! You’re still a little low on the top end and the revs, so I would definitely go ahead and do the carbs when the kits get in. I have a feeling you’ll see it pick up some when they’re completely dialed in.

That Chinese beeper will probably not sound when attaching the lanyard so you will have no way to know if it recognizes it if you start having issues.

I can confirm that the "beeper" does sound with the dess key. Its about 1/2 second of house alarm and is totally acceptable. You can tell it's different from the other seadoos but its reasonable.

Once in a while I get an error of some type where I push the start button and the "beeper" sounds the alarm for about a second. The oil and temp lights also light when this happens. All I have to do is take the dess key off and put back on and its all good. I have heard no other alarms but it definitely works

It's early but I'd say the 12v house alarm siren is a good replacement at $5.

I ordered a carb. kit and I'm still waiting on it.

Probably have 12 hours of run time on the machine at this point and looking for a second seadoo now!

Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back