Fuel Delivery Issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Funktastic

Hello everyone,

Just joined the forum and am new to jet skis so I tried to self-educate myself as best as possible. I’m used to working on motorcycles and ATV's so I decided to pick up a couple of old jet skis my buddy had and try to fix them up, and this is where I have run into my problem.

I have a 1990 Seadoo Bombardier XP with a circular black carb that leads to a circular fuel pump.

The issue is most likely fuel delivery from my diagnosis. This is what I have done so far:
1) cleaned the carb and rebuilt it
2) Cleaned out the fuel pump
3) drained all the old gas out and added new with sea foam
4) replaced the fuel line that goes directly into the gas tank, so i know it is touching gas.

The situation goes like this: I did all of the above and it seems like the fuel isn’t being delivered. The fuel filter bowl isn’t filling up with gas even though I blew on the hose going directly to the gas tank and there are no blockages. I then continued to spray a pre-mixed 2 stroke and gasoline mix into the carb to run it, and while it doesn’t idle, if I rev and spray I can deficiently keep it going and everything runs fine. I have also tried taking the fuel pump and putting the intake directly in a cup of premix and it sucked it up a little but then didn’t continue.

So my questions are:

1) I feel as if there is some problem in the fuel pump but I don’t know how to go about fixing it. How might I do this?
2) I don’t know if because the engine runs while I spray premix into the car, does that rule out the problem of it being the carb? I did not conduct a "pop off test", so how crucial is that to my situation?
3)Also, when I was taking apart the carb, I was looking at the jet and noticed that there is not a hole that passes all the way through it like on m motorcycle jets. I was wondering if this is normal.

I also did not replace the gaskets/diaphragms on the fuel pump when i cleaned it. I dont know if that would mess up the functioanility of it or not.

You need to replace the wear parts on the carb. ODS Sea doo parts for rebuild kits. He sells a pressure tester for $25, all you need for it is a bike pump. You have to test pop off and the pump diaphram pressure test. The mouth powered test of check valves need to be done too. Check you pulse line. It supplies the suction/pressure to run the pump section of carb. Might consider replacing pulse line with regular 1/4 inch fuel line. The Jets have holes in the middle of them. Both main and pilot. Did you pull them and clean passages? Do the low speed circuit clean out blocking big hole? There is a flap type check valve on back of block pump diaphram is mounted to. Is it there or damaged? ODS can set you up with all the parts. He answers his phone too.

The entire carb needs cleaned if not done yet. You have to figure it may have never been done in 14 years. My 2 new to me Ski's are 2000 GTI's. Carbs have never been touched before me.
Read the tricks to rebuilding carbs I started. Read the sticky at top about carb adjustments. You did clean the little thimble fuel filter in the carb? You get the carb to suck gas out of a cantainer but not tank you have an air leak somewhere. Half the "fun" is the chase.

Last edited by a moderator:
The entire carb needs cleaned if not done yet. You have to figure it may have never been done in 14 years. My 2 new to me Ski's are 2000 GTI's. Carbs have never been touched before me.
Read the tricks to rebuilding carbs I started. Read the sticky at top about carb adjustments. You did clean the little thimble fuel filter in the carb? You get the carb to suck gas out of a cantainer but not tank you have an air leak somewhere. Half the "fun" is the chase.

Read the Similar post list at bottom of this posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back