Testing fuel pump

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Frige

I am making progress on my 96 gts rebuild. To recap it now has a 2000 717 engine and most of all the other parts to the 2000. I rebuilt the carb and I feel I did a decent job.
So I got the engine to start up and it sounds good. I am using a premix till the oil pump starts priming as the circuit is empty. I have not installed the jetpump yet as I want to run the egine for a bit and not burn up the seal. I started it by sqirting some permix into the carb and watched the filter fill up with fuel and then she ran on her own. I have a hose hooked to the water intake and there are no leaks. I was about ready to start adjusting the car when it died. I can get it to start by adding fuel to the carb but its not pulling any from the tank. I probably need to pull the carb but is there a way to test before I do that to figure out what is wrong?

I'd check the lines going to the carb for plugging or your fuel selector. Fuel pumps doing just stop working unless the pulse line came off. I'd put a pressure or vacuum test on the fuel line. You can clamp off at the fuel baffle. Good Luck !!

You can put 4 pounds of pressure to the carburetor fitting that the pulse line goes on to see if that diaphragm is leaking, it’s unlikely but....

First I checked and the line to the tank is clear. I replaced all the lines plus the valve so I figured it would be. Pulled the carb and checked by huffing and puffing that the fuel pump is working. Checked the pop off and the dang thing is going off at 40 psi. Weird I had set it at 32 and it worked fine for a while. Try try again lol.

Im still having issues
I hit it with air pressure and it seemed like the needle was stuck. I played around with it and changed springs and adjusted the float rocker. I tried to get it consistent. Seems like it is. So back on the ski.
It will start run a bit and die. I pull the choke and it starts again and dies. Pumping fuel just fine. Getting dark out so I will have to wait till tomorrow.
I wonder if adjusting the low speed screw will help.

Just my experience with a few machines but if you follow Mikidymac’s carb rebuild thread, order the back to OEM kit from OSD Marine which comes with the new needle seat and spring, I would order the add on new lever for 8.00, set the high and low screws to factory settings. That has always taken care of any carb issues I have had. No need to adjust the pop off by bending the lever.

I don't much work on other people's jet skis but I'm helping a guy out. He has a GTI 717 that wants to play games. :D I found some carb issues and thought I had it till I put it in the water for 10 minutes. I've had some really weird fuel problems with skis in the past so this is gonna be interesting. If this bitch can show me something I haven't seen I'm gonna enjoy the ride. :D I'm seeing fuel issues with a couple of skis. It's coating the fuel filter inside the carb. Not sure if the same thing is happening to the strainer at the bottom of the baffle.

Stick with it. Good Luck !!

Im still having issues
I hit it with air pressure and it seemed like the needle was stuck. I played around with it and changed springs and adjusted the float rocker. I tried to get it consistent. Seems like it is. So back on the ski.
It will start run a bit and die. I pull the choke and it starts again and dies. Pumping fuel just fine. Getting dark out so I will have to wait till tomorrow.
Its is generally advised to not bend the needle arm.

I did the get the mikuni carburetor kit and the needle and seat. The one thing bothering me was sometimes the needle would pop off and sometimes it would just hiss. I did spray in oil everytime.

I did the get the mikuni carburetor kit and the needle and seat. The one thing bothering me was sometimes the needle would pop off and sometimes it would just hiss. I did spray in oil everytime.
Did you push down on the lever and spray wd-40 under the needle too? I can’t remember for sure but I think the ones I have rebuilt may have hissed a little as well when they were getting close to the pop off pressure and I had no issues with performance. If that’s the case I wouldn’t worry to much about that. As long as it’s not leaking around the o ring or needle.

Im still having issues
Where did you buy the needle, seat, spring from? And what are your high and low screws at?

That happens often,,,I use 40:1 premix…pour in the mix,,, push the needle up and down 3 to 4 times,,,, you want some fluid underneath the seat,,, wear glasses etc for protection,,, it really comes down to have done this 50 times,,;versus your first time

Where did you buy the needle, seat, spring from? And what are your high and low screws at?
The needle and seat are mikuni. They came in a 2 pack so I could change it out if I cant get it right. The high speed is closed and the low speed is at 1.25 like it was when I disassembled the carbs.

Back