Fresh Find Friday! Project HX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
looking good when you get to ride it let me know what you think. I always thought my 717 hx was under powered but the setup I have now is not really good for lake riding i actually prefer the stock 787 with flame arresters and a slight compression bump it ran a high 57 mph and was relible on 93 octane. goodluck with your ski

Thanks for the compliment. My B.I.L. had a brand new one in 95 and I had a great time riding it. At the time I was riding my 91 XP so the HX was light years ahead of it performance wise. But then in 96 I got XP's so then when I rode his HX it was night and day between those two. I'm really looking for a carver so I can run the back bay twisties and there is a creek I ride in off or the river that is twisty too. I also like that I never see them, the black sheep. I know the guys who love wave blasters don't care too much for the HX. Well being a doo guy I wouldn't have a blaster, and personally they're ugly. I'd love to ride and HX with the 787 in it, it's gotta be a hoot. These things turn real nice in the water and I learned the hard way and rag dolled myself. I've always admired crotch rockets but there are way too many idiots driving by me to put my life in jeopardy on a bike, so I'll turn to the HX for that thrill. Plus the hard landings don't have the long lasting effects like pavement.

Here's my "local" riding spots
http://goo.gl/maps/NalGp
http://goo.gl/maps/QmMOq

Let's pump that 717 up a little. How about an aftermarket head or pipe? I hear those can be a little tipsy to paddle back home though.

Let's pump that 717 up a little. How about an aftermarket head or pipe? I hear those can be a little tipsy to paddle back home though.

matt the 717 cant take much more i helped my friend build his 717 hx we did a spraybar, waterbox, head,prop,and nozzles and we have it running a solid 52 mph with a r&d grate and the swirl prop if we were to re prop it we could deff get 55 mph out of it. its complely set up for low end pull. racerxxx if i can help in any way let me know and if you ever make your way to central florida you are more than welcome to ride my 787 hx its ported 200psi head mag pump and does 61-62 mph all day long. also if you need parts i have some. i have a black hood cowling in decent shape cheap if you want it.

Been eyeing a nice looking Miller 720 head on Ebay, but with the lack-o-funds I'm done. There is also a Factory pipe with injection and a R&D pipe on Ebay right now. In time I'd like to wake it up. If I gotta paddle back, I'm in the drink swimming with it behind me, much better at swimming then paddling, lol. We'll see how the old 720 runs, nice thing is I can flip to the XP for some more speed on also the Speedster too.

160.jpg

matt the 717 cant take much more i helped my friend build his 717 hx we did a spraybar, waterbox, head,prop,and nozzles and we have it running a solid 52 mph with a r&d grate and the swirl prop if we were to re prop it we could deff get 55 mph out of it. its complely set up for low end pull. racerxxx if i can help in any way let me know and if you ever make your way to central florida you are more than welcome to ride my 787 hx its ported 200psi head mag pump and does 61-62 mph all day long. also if you need parts i have some. i have a black hood cowling in decent shape cheap if you want it.

I might take you up on the hood one of these days when the funds pump up. I try not to fund any projects from house money if I can, this is all off selling crap I have or bartering etc... The house comes first and the toys are secondary. When I was a kid I spent 75% of my money on my cars, the other 25% I wasted. Oh and I love the sig picture, nice and big right in my face!!!!!!!!!!

Been eyeing a nice looking Miller 720 head on Ebay, but with the lack-o-funds I'm done. There is also a Factory pipe with injection and a R&D pipe on Ebay right now. In time I'd like to wake it up. If I gotta paddle back, I'm in the drink swimming with it behind me, much better at swimming then paddling, lol. We'll see how the old 720 runs, nice thing is I can flip to the XP for some more speed on also the Speedster too.

160.jpg

racerxxx only put a pipe on it if you plan on running av gas 100LL or higher octane the 717 really doesnt take well to a pipe

SHE'S ALIVE!!!!!!!! Drained the tank the other night and tonight I took all the fuel lines off the XP and made them up for the HX. Checked everything over cranked it a few times without the plugs in and got fuel to the filter. Tossed the plugs in pulled the choke, hit the starter a few seconds and it sputtered. Waited a few seconds and tried again and it came to life spewing antifreeze on the garage floor. Tomorrow morning she'll be on the hose to see what's what. The tempo lines looked good and were soft and supple so I don't think they ever saw any of the ethanol in the gas, they have made it to the trash can already.

Its always fun when you find a turd like that and they fire right up!

I want that miller head for my wall...didnt it have one bad dome? I offered $75...lol

Its always fun when you find a turd like that and they fire right up!

I want that miller head for my wall...didnt it have one bad dome? I offered $75...lol

The guy I got the ski from said the ski had real low hours on it and by judging some things I might agree with him. Can't wait to put the hose to it.

Yeah the one dome was a little jacked but not bad at all.

I was watching the day that Miller head was listed and everyday since. It's two prices or I would have already added it to my collection. I'm very happy you have a runner there. I totally understand you using your skills rather than your wallet to get a ride at this point.

SHE'S ALIVE!!!!!!!! Drained the tank the other night and tonight I took all the fuel lines off the XP and made them up for the HX. Checked everything over cranked it a few times without the plugs in and got fuel to the filter. Tossed the plugs in pulled the choke, hit the starter a few seconds and it sputtered. Waited a few seconds and tried again and it came to life spewing antifreeze on the garage floor. Tomorrow morning she'll be on the hose to see what's what. The tempo lines looked good and were soft and supple so I don't think they ever saw any of the ethanol in the gas, they have made it to the trash can already.

Very nice...... Guess you found the diamond in the rough.

Since manolocross called me out out for slacking on the XP I guess I better update this thread.:D

I've been wet sanding the HX out to really make it shine again. The hood is sick, the pics don't do it justice. First I carefully took a straight edge and cut around the HX on the graphics and then stripped the old "splashes" off. If they were nicer I would have kept them. Then I wet sanded it with 600, then 800, then 1200 and buffed it with a wool pad and some Meguiar's #105 Extra heavy cut. All these pics are just wet sanded and buffed, not polished yet, and not waxed either. I wet sanded some of the deck with 600, 800, 1200 but I could still see the browning, so I went to 400, 500, 800, then 1200. Like Jetskigoodies said, white is the hardest to get right. Even after hours of wet sanding I can still see some browning. I know it won't be noticeable in the sun light because what's white is WHITE. It will be blinding. You can see the individual bulbs in my 8' fluorescent overhead lights. Scroll up to see the chalk yellow it use to be. I have an easy 6 hours just in the hood alone, not including the graphic mods. These are all cell phone pics too, our real camera would probably make them even better.

Here's a few pics of the HX hood, these pics don't do it justice. It's mirror smooth, makes me want to rip the mats off the XP and wet sand and re-buff that. Perhaps next winter.

552.jpg

553.jpg

554.jpg

555.jpg

Look at the reflection of the Meguiar's bottle, yeah it's that shiny but I can still see a little browning. I don't think it will ever be perfect.

556.jpg

Nicely done, that looks sweet. With all those rounded edges did you still use a sanding block or did you do it by hand?

Thanks Kick

That is the tricky part, so to properly answer that, both. I also wrapped a sponge but that can be tough so it didn't last long. You really need a flexible block sander. Eastwood sells them, I just didn't break down and buy one. I was nervous they wouldn't flex enough.

Sorry racer didn't mean to call you out... Just enjoy the rebuild threads... And I enjoy your work. I can't wait till the weather breaks so I can start workin on my own stuff! 23 days till spring!!! WooHoo!!!:)

The JSG Treatment

I think I have the top done, now to the bottom side. I lost track of the hours of wet sanding but it was way more then I wanted, probably 20+ if I had to guess, off and on. I have the top buffed and polished. The white is white, not tan any more. The foot wells were the worst, specifically the port side. Word to the wise, if you leave your stuff outside and lose interest in it, make sure your either sell it right away for cover it with plastic so the water and crap doesn't gather in the foot wells. Wet sanding the white is not for the "Hey lets try this", it's a full on commitment. I still want to get it out inthe sun light to see how it really looks, fingers crossed. The last pic I threw in a little candy shot, enjoy!

You can see the staining in the first two pics.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

One of my favorites, the Sylvania 60 watt test! I can actually see the filament wiggle when I shake the light.

21.jpg

I traced the OEM decals and then hand cut the carbon fiber piece for the hood.

22.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back