Flywheel Bolt Removal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnz

The stater went out on our 05 Challenger. I decided to do the replacement in the boat. Upon cover removal it seemed as if a few of the flywheel bolts had backed themselves out nicking one small piece of the copper which was stuck to the flywheel cup. Since its an 05, I wanted to swap out the new bolts anyways while I was in there. One bolt ended up shearing on removal. I attempted to easy out, but upon drilling the bolt it came loose. The issue with this is, right behind the hole was the timing chain guide. The piece was the perfect size to get stuck in the guide. I tried for a few hours to get the broken bolt to come back out through the hole as the easy out will catch, but it just will not start to thread out. Can anyone offer a good suggestion to getting this piece out of the guide? I took a quick capture of the manual to help give an idea on location.

Attachments

• 20191006_225938.jpg
    20191006_225938.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 11
I know its a hindsight thing in your situation, but I'll mention it for others, this is why you should drill a broken bolt with a left-hand drill. In my limited experience, at least half the time, drilling with a left-hand bit, the bit will bind and the bolt will come out and you are done. Sometimes a right-hand bit just makes it worse. The key here is buy a small set of left-hand bits before you actually need them.

Have you tried turning the crank to line up the next hole? Maybe the threads on the inside edge of the hole are a little damaged, keeping the broken bold from catching the thread? A different hole might catch.

Maybe run a good clean bolt in and out of the hole to make sure it's clear and the threads clean. Maybe even run a tap through if a bolt does not thread through very easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back