96 Challenger Lower Tuned Pipe Bolt Broke

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

mejim707

Hey all, I hope you're all doing well.

So I pulled my exhaust to do a little maintenance. One thing I wanted to check was why 1 bolt mounting the lower tuned pipe to the engine on was missing. The other was fine but the one closest to the fuel tank was missing.

I found that the bolt was broken off, and about 1/5 inch of the shaft of the bolt was still sticking out. I tried a bold extractor kit but it didn't work. The extractor kit was actually getting chewed up trying to remove the bolt.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove this bolt? Grinding it down or welding to it could be very dangerous being in close proximity to the tank and I prefer not to explode, it's a goal of mine.

Since grinding, welding and the bolt extractor kit are off the table, what other options are there?

Lastly, since the lower pipe is secured by the upper tuned pipe, the center metal strap coupler and 1 bold to the engine on the lower section, couldn't I just continue running it without that second bolt? I ran it for a few years like this and never had an issue.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Try and file in a groove to get a flat head scredriver on it. Or maybe file 2 sides to try and get a wrench on it or just use vice grips. Vice grips saved me on a few occasions.

If that falls you may have to drill it out. If you damage the threads you can always put an insert and new bolt.

Since you have been running it this long and have not had any issues, I see no reason why you can't continue.

Back