First boat purchase: 97 Speedster project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I've been reading on the forums for a couple weeks getting the basics on these craft. I bought a 97 Speedster that was in really bad cosmetic shape, and needed a few mechanical things. I figured at $1500 even if I had to rebuild both engines, I would still be in decent shape. I own a custom automotive shop, and specialize in custom paint, and electrical, but upholstery, and mechanical are things I can easily handle as well.
I knew the first step was getting the bugs out of it, (as in the mosquito colony living in it), and get it fairly clean so I could get a better look at it.
The boat sat for two years with no cover, and was not winterized. I pulled the plugs, and turned both motors over by hand, and they spun like a sewing machine. This made me pretty happy, but after the cleaning I noticed a crack in the cylinder near the head. Looking closer I found the gasket pushed out, so I decided to pull the head. The bolts were packed with sand, and it took over an hour to remove the head. I didn't want to snap a bolt off, so I took my time with the PB blaster. There was sand in the water jackets, along with salt water corrosion, bulging, and more cracks. These aren't the kind of cracks that you fix, so I know both cylinders are toast. I have not yet pulled the port side, but I would imagine they are similar. It's also obvious that new plugs were welded in the exhaust on the starboard side, and the previous owner never checked the motor. The cylinder walls, and pistons look great however, and I imagine when he said they both ran great, he probably wasn't lying.
My problem now is a top end kit is not going to work with most suppliers requiring good cores. Plus I'm not sure I want to just rebuild the top end, not knowing the real condition of the bottom end. I have been looking for used cylinders on ebay in decent shape to send in for rebuilding, but I fear that would cost as much as a reman engine when all is said and done. Any suggestions, or sources for parts that I am not aware of?
Thanks

Welcome. Post up some pics of the project.

The cracks in the cyl's are from being poorly winterized. Basically, water was still in the engine, and it froze. If the cyl's and pistons are still good... I would simply weld up the cracks, and call it a day. A quick fix, may get you a few seasons out of the engines. Heck... I've welded them, and not even removed the jugs from the engine. (pipe and head off though)

The weld plug in the pipe is normal... especially in salt conditions.

With that age of the boat... I wouldn't bother with just a "Top-end". You are dealing with engines that are 18 years old. SO... putting money into the top, may just be a waste. Basically... the new power of a new top... is normally enough to wipe out an old crank. And when it gives out... it always destroys the new top. So, I would HIGHLY recommend just sending the engines to a place like SBT. The will take engines with crack cyl's. They will charge you a few $$$ to weld them. But with SBT, you will have a 2 year warranty. AND... you could get engines in a few days, and be up and running this season. If you deal with some of the other reman shops... you may not get your engines back until the snow starts flying.

I've been away from my shop for two days, and thought about welded the cylinders myself, but after seeing them today, I realized I forgot what they looked like. I think the only option here is to buy used cylinders as cores.
I also hooked up a good battery tonight and ran compression on the other side. I'm getting 80, and 100psi. So I guess I'm getting two motors built.
On top of that when I connected the battery the Starboard motor started cranking over with the key not attached. Turns out the bilge fan switch engages the starter.
I'm starting to wonder if I bought someone's science project.
11667462_884242021648022_7767312125620643512_n.jpg11692755_884241998314691_4680150794733014121_n.jpg11698695_884242031648021_9143316329456799122_n.jpg

Yep... good luck with all of that.

BUT... before you put any $$$ into the engines... see if a dealer can get into the MPEM. If it's roasted... it's not worth chasing. (too much expensive stuff wrong) A boat MPEM is hard to come by, and they are crazy expensive if you can find it. (as much as an engine)

Not to mention... if you put engines, and an MPEM in it... I have a feeling that you will find the pumps and shaft seals need serviced too.

Sorry.

Yep... good luck with all of that.

BUT... before you put any $$$ into the engines... see if a dealer can get into the MPEM. If it's roasted... it's not worth chasing. (too much expensive stuff wrong) A boat MPEM is hard to come by, and they are crazy expensive if you can find it. (as much as an engine)

Not to mention... if you put engines, and an MPEM in it... I have a feeling that you will find the pumps and shaft seals need serviced too.

Sorry.

That's some seriously good advice regarding the mpem, if it's not functional and capable of taking programming inputs and unlocking the module security the money hole just got much deeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back