Explorer Wear Ring Questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bkosaian

Could use some help from the experts here....
I have a 1997 Explorer with the 718 Motor. The boat suddenly lost power and I immediately put it back on the dock and inspected the jet. The intake was clear but I noticed a large piece of plastic stuck in the vanes of the exit/nozzle of the jet. I used pliers to remove it and determined that it is a piece of the wear ring. Looks like I will be pulling the boat out of the water and removing the pump to inspect and replace the wear ring. I took a look at the service manual and I have some questions with regards to the removal of the pump.......

1) Will the drive shaft come out with the pump assembly? If so is there anything I have to do inside the boat to release it from the back of the motor?
2) I plan to replace the wear ring and the neoprene gasket, are there any other parts I should buy?
3) The manual mentions to remove the (2) bailing hoses at the top of the pump housing from inside the boat, there is no way I can get to these, is it possible to remove them from the back of the boat once the pump has broke loose?
4) I watched a few you tube videos where guys have put a strap around a tree to pull the pump away from the boat.....any suggestions on how to do this? (Boat has only been in fresh water and has very low hours although its 22 years old.

Thank you in advance for your help and I welcome any additional comments.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back