Engine swap on my 1997 SPX 787 HELP!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadoospray

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of swapping out my seized up original engine for a rebuilt SBT engine with a warranty. I've pulled the old engine out, swapped over the accessories (starter, etc) and am ready to install the new engine. It is a carb model 787 and I've chosen to eliminate the oil injection. I'm fairly new to the PWC world but have been saddled on dirtbikes all my life so I know quite a bit about premixing lol. My question is....what ratio do you guys run in your premix ski's? I typically run 32:1 in my Yam YZ250 dirtbike and have had excellent experiences with that ratio. Will it hold true to my Seadoo? Having spent $1000 on a new engine, I'd like to make it last as long as possible. Also, I run Yamalube in my bike, would it do just as well in my SPX? It's considerably cheaper than the Seadoo oil!!!!!! Hopefully I'll have all the cooling and oil lines hooked up correctly and I'll be on the water! Thanks for all your help.

NO!!! Don not run yamalube in your seadoo. You must use an oil that is API-TC certified. Also, even if you run pre mix, you still need to have the oil tank installed, and hooked to the engine to lube the rotary valve.

If you are going to run pre-mix... 40:1 is the target ratio.

You got it, no Yamalube! Just checking. Also I heard from various sources to only use the Seadoo oil, so I'll be safe than sorry and use the correct stuff to promote longevity. Thanks!

I recommend BRP. There were probly many reasons the other engine failed. You should have up-dated the fuel system, carbs and every other SERVICEABLE PART
re-furbed to spec. This means mechanical and all electrics. GREASE>>>>GREASE!
Are carbs painted? Zerks pumped? linkages, latches, cables? ect ect ect. Bill

Hope ya have a trouble free summer!

BRP it is...I'm not sure exactly what caused the engine failure. I was on the throttle quite a bit, and it was certainly the original engine from 1997 so I bet it was getting a little tired. It suddenly made a horrible rattling sound and locked up just as quickly. My guess is a crank bearing or maybe a ring failure. I bought a rebuilt from SBT and am dropping the new engine in the hull today. The carbs are painted black, fuel lines have been replaced in summer 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back