Engine mount head scratch......

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, on my 98 XPL the 2 rear engine mounts were shot. So I ordered new ones, for rear and front. I soon found out the front mounts are a different height than the old ones but the rears were the same. I installed them all anyways and would align the engine with the alignment tool then shim accordingly. Heres the problem. Even thought the front mount was shorter than the old one that didn't matter, the rear of the engine needed to come down about a 1/4" according to the alignment rod. Only thing is I can go any lower with the rear mounts. I even tried raising the front mount to the old height but that did not help at all. Im guessing I'm gonna have to find shorter rear mounts so I can lower this engine to where it has to be. Has anyone has this problem before?? And which other mounts would I be able to order that are lower than the ones I have?? Finally, I measured the height of the rear mounts, from top of base to top of mount its a hair under 1 1/8". Im stuck in the mud here....

Attachments

• View recent photos.jpg
    View recent photos.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 7
XPL front mount is shorter than other 787/951 front mounts (GSXL, RX, ETC)
The back of the engine doesn't just need to come down, the front of the engine needs to come up, which makes the back of the engine go down. Leverage..

XPL front mount is shorter than other 787/951 front mounts (GSXL, RX, ETC)
The back of the engine doesn't just need to come down, the front of the engine needs to come up, which makes the back of the engine go down. Leverage..
Understood, but even if I lift the engine up 12” the alignment bar still doesn’t line up. The rears must go down. I’m searching for a shorter mount.

Understood, but even if I lift the engine up 12” the alignment bar still doesn’t line up. The rears must go down. I’m searching for a shorter mount

I should modify my statement, as I was thinking xpl mount in non xpl. This is a non xpl (taller) mount in an XPL.
so, anyways, all rear mounts are the same. You should have a shorter mount for the front of the xpl.
Did you try moving the rear mounts outwards which in turn drops the back of the engine

I should modify my statement, as I was thinking xpl mount in non xpl. This is a non xpl (taller) mount in an XPL.
so, anyways, all rear mounts are the same. You should have a shorter mount for the front of the xpl.
Did you try moving the rear mounts outwards which in turn drops the back of the engine
I have the shorter mount for the front. You are correct, the rear mounts have slotted holes at the base to allow an outward movement for them but because of the opposite slotted holes on the mounting bracket I am not able to push the mounts outward, unless I modify the bracket to allow that. The bracket only allows you to move the engine forward or back 1/2" -+. I would portable have to modify the bracket a 1/4" but I feel like I should have to do this......

Compare the rear mounts to original.if they are the same height and size your problem is either the hull has some crap on it not allowing them to sit flush or the front has to come up.also make sure engine bracket is not corroded and not allowing mount to sit flush

Hey guys, on my 98 XPL the 2 rear engine mounts were shot. So I ordered new ones, for rear and front. I soon found out the front mounts are a different height than the old ones but the rears were the same. I installed them all anyways and would align the engine with the alignment tool then shim accordingly. Heres the problem. Even thought the front mount was shorter than the old one that didn't matter, the rear of the engine needed to come down about a 1/4" according to the alignment rod. Only thing is I can go any lower with the rear mounts. I even tried raising the front mount to the old height but that did not help at all. Im guessing I'm gonna have to find shorter rear mounts so I can lower this engine to where it has to be. Has anyone has this problem before?? And which other mounts would I be able to order that are lower than the ones I have?? Finally, I measured the height of the rear mounts, from top of base to top of mount its a hair under 1 1/8". Im stuck in the mud here....

I've never lined up a XPL. I have one with the engine removed at another location so you got me wondering. I'd check the alignment tooling for being squared up properly but I'm sure you've done that.

Last edited:
Sorry it took a while to get back to this thread but I spoke with a rep from a shop close to me about alignment on this 98 XPL. I was told the only part that needs to be properly aligned is the mid-bearing which is right under the shock absorber below the seat. Align that with the alignment tool, lock it in place and all is good. Once that is done and the engine mounts are replaced as per the correct part number, line the engine up left or right with center of the shaft and the engine is aligned. The only thing to make sure of is the spacing of drive shaft rubber adapter and the PTO, front and back. This should not be tight, there should be a small gap at each end, 1/4" max.

So I went ahead and put the ski back together and its been running perfect for the past 3 weeks. After every ride I have been checking each rubber adapter, front and back and so far everything seems to be still in perfect condition. No abnormal noises or rough riding has been experienced.

Sorry it took a while to get back to this thread but I spoke with a rep from a shop close to me about alignment on this 98 XPL. I was told the only part that needs to be properly aligned is the mid-bearing which is right under the shock absorber below the seat. Align that with the alignment tool, lock it in place and all is good. Once that is done and the engine mounts are replaced as per the correct part number, line the engine up left or right with center of the shaft and the engine is aligned. The only thing to make sure of is the spacing of drive shaft rubber adapter and the PTO, front and back. This should not be tight, there should be a small gap at each end, 1/4" max.

So I went ahead and put the ski back together and its been running perfect for the past 3 weeks. After every ride I have been checking each rubber adapter, front and back and so far everything seems to be still in perfect condition. No abnormal noises or rough riding has been experienced.

Sorry but you were told wrong. The most critical engine alignment is on the HX and 1997 and newer XP’s because of the 2 piece driveshafts. If it’s wrong you will destroy the rubber couplers then the driveshaft and PTO.

If the engine mounts are a different height than OEM they are wrong.

Sorry but you were told wrong. The most critical engine alignment is on the HX and 1997 and newer XP’s because of the 2 piece driveshafts. If it’s wrong you will destroy the rubber couplers then the driveshaft and PTO.

If the engine mounts are a different height than OEM they are wrong.
That’s the thing, the engine mounts are open but still leaves my engine about 1/8” high. No matter what I do I get the engine lower….

Not what you want to hear but I have seen this before. My assumption is that over time these hulls either sag or they were not perfect from the factory.

If you already loosened the carrier bearing and it is still off then you can remove the hull plate “shoe” and shim that up just like the factory was supposed to. This will bring the entire driveline centerline up and bring the engine into alignment range.

Having just aligned an engine in my 99 xpl I will tell you to check your alignment tool shaft. Mine is warped slightly so I was constantly off left to right about an 1/8th. I kinda picked the middle and called it. So far so good. I do notice my shaft is not centered in the tunnel through the fuel tank but it's running fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back