Driveshaft End Play Question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyPHD

I'm having problems with cavation on my recently bought 1999 GSX-L. The preload on the carbon ring bellows was very low, about 1/8 inch.
The drive shaft slides forward and back 5/16 of an inch with the new end bumpers on the ends of the driveshaft.
Is this endplay normal or should the driveshaft fit tight between the PTO and the impeller?

I noticed mine is the same, I might shim it so it's less end play. If anyone knows please help.

You need to give a couple pumps of grease to the pto. Stop pumping as soon as you see the driveshaft stop moving back. This actually preloads the driveshaft into the pump. I know it sounds strange but this is how they work.

Also if your rubber accordion boot is old it will loose tension too or if the carbon seal and hat are worn they will too. If you order a new carbon seal get it from OSD as his have a thicker stainless hat and put a little more pressure on the carbon ring.

If the grease doesn't solve the issue, you may need to move the engine back. If so, technically you would need to align it.

I put a washer under the flywheel bolt to take up some slack, installed new carbon seal kit from OSD with new bellows and clamp, and new PTO side bellows. The cavation went away. Someone on another forum said the driveshaft endplay is normal.

I would not put washers under the flywheel bolts, you want that PTO coupler tight against the flywheel not just supported by the bolts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put one washer under the crank bolt under the PTO coupler. It brought the bolt head closer to the driveshaft bumper. Probably wasn't needed if grease is used to push the driveshaft back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back