2001 Sportster boat, Single 951 engine. Driveshaft slack?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire3456

I purchased a 01 sportster with a single 951 engine (that I was told was rebuilt.....it's obvious it wasn't rebuilt, but did fire right up and ran smoothly). The splines on the driveshaft and PTO stripped after using (just cruising at a moderate speed). When I took it apart there was no rubber fitting at the end of the Driveshaft that goes into the PTO.. I figured that was the problem I replaces the driveshaft and PTO and bought rubber ends (FOR BOTH ENDS of the driveshaft) When I pushed back the 'bellows' hose, with the carbon and steal seals, the drive shaft moved backwards. It was only about 1/16 to maybe 1/4 inch of movement.

Is there supposed to be a little "back and forth" movement in the shaft once everything is put together? I'd like to find this out before I take it out on the lake.

FYI....the splines are meshed up because the impeller moves when I twist the PTO around.

I'd just like to know if a little back and forth play is normal on a newly installed shaft (with all new parts). I don't want it to strip the splines again.

Thanks for any help!

You need to inject a couple pumps of grease into the grease zerk in the PRO, that will push the driveshaft back and take up any slack.

You need to inject a couple pumps of grease into the grease zerk in the PRO, that will push the driveshaft back and take up any slack.
Thank you! I've replaced about everything in the drive/propulsion area. Just haven't greased anything up yet before I crank it over. (I'm a novice/manual/youtube "mechanic")

Just an FYI, I pumped grease into the PTO zerk, but with everything together I can't tell if the Drive Shaft moves back or forth. I did finally turn over the engine to 'seat' the new impeller into the new Wear Ring. Everything seemed to work fine. I just need to run it a little before I put it in the lake. (Tomorrows job). I guess (I HATE GUESSING!) I'll just have to see how it runs and hope the splines are ok.

I'd sure like to check if the engine was mounted correctly. Is there anyway to tell if the engine was mounted correctly? How do you tell if it needs to move forward (or backward). I know there is an "Engine Alignment" tool I could buy. That would tell me if the engine angle is correct. (if I knew how to use the tool). I saw 'tool' on eBay for around $250. For something I'd only use once...Hmmmm

Thanks! I may call to see how much a "motor alignment" would cost (vs buying the alignment tool itself). I'm trying to track down the last owner, who said he had the engine rebuilt, to see if was just dropped in by an amateur or a certified mechanic did the work. By the looks of it, no professional would have done this kind of work.
Thanks for your response!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back