Doing 72mph and intercooler hose blew off (Concerned)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Copious

Was taking the 2011 210 Wake for a last spin - was glass and it was humming. As we slowed down in an area to do wake boarding alarms went nuts. Shut down immediately to suss the situation - temp light (Starboard) and engine light (Port) were on. Turned key back on to see what it all was and alarms started going again so opened the engine room. Tones of steam. smoke but cleared quick. See in the back the intercooler hose had popped off and fluid everywhere. Limped back to the dock on Port after 10 min's. after 30 mins the temp light was still on but no alarms. Waited for an hour and temp sensor went off, got some coolant and put it in (probably should have left it longer now that I think but....). Anyway it is at home and have to put the correct coolant in as used the aluminum stuff from NAPPA.

Is there anything I should be looking for or do before redoing it and taking it for a test - hope I haven't cooked it but not even sure how to know?

I'd love to know what you've done to your 210 to allegedly hit 72 mph?

On a different note, I'd pull some exhaust hoses and inspect them for any heat related damage.

Where you getting exhaust and motor overheat alarms and codes? You seem to be describing a bit of both.

If the intercooler hose popped off, the engine sounds typically change enough to be heard and the motors will surely let you know you've lost pressure.

Did you happen to check what the engine temps maxed out at?

Have you tried running the boat since? Any codes?

I'd love to know what you've done to your 210 to allegedly hit 72 mph?

On a different note, I'd pull some exhaust hoses and inspect them for any heat related damage.

Where you getting exhaust and motor overheat alarms and codes? You seem to be describing a bit of both.

If the intercooler hose popped off, the engine sounds typically change enough to be heard and the motors will surely let you know you've lost pressure.

Did you happen to check what the engine temps maxed out at?

Have you tried running the boat since? Any codes?

I didn't get any codes at that point as I was in a "Oh Shit" state. When I put the hose back on at the Y Connector I checked the other hoses and a few of the hose connectors were also a bit lose or turned downwards so my guess is that it has not been serviced at all. Was only 185 hrs on it when we got her. To get to that 72 I have been going through and servicing areas like the standards - oil, plugs...redid impellar. that took if from about 62 up. Was testing as it was like glass and a small breeze behind and no wife...wanted to see before I get the super chargers rebuilt.

Going to flush the intercoolers and put fresh coolant in over the week and take it for a spin in the weekend - will hook it upto the hose and see if it will run for 5 with no alarms first. Wont be doing 70's again until next year that is for sure.

Boy our 430HP 210 must be a pig. She only gets to roughly 54 on GPS.

Post some pics of what you find and we'll help to get you squared away.

First off, I assume your 72 MPH is figuratively speaking as your boat can't get anywhere in the 70's unless you have done some serious modifications.

You mentioned... "See in the back the intercooler hose had popped off and fluid everywhere"

On the intercooler. As you mentioned y pipe, I am assuming you are talking about the raw water side of the IC not the air side. This would make sense that it could affect a temp alarm, as if you lose the flow at the y pipe to an open end, you will affect flow to your exhaust manifold and cooling streams. At high speeds this would be immediate. The fluid, though would be water not coolant.

You mentioned coolant? Are you low on coolant, because that is a separate glycol based loop going to the ride plate. They are not related so if you are low on coolant, that would be a different system.

First off, I assume your 72 MPH is figuratively speaking as your boat can't get anywhere in the 70's unless you have done some serious modifications.

You mentioned... "See in the back the intercooler hose had popped off and fluid everywhere"

On the intercooler. As you mentioned y pipe, I am assuming you are talking about the raw water side of the IC not the air side. This would make sense that it could affect a temp alarm, as if you lose the flow at the y pipe to an open end, you will affect flow to your exhaust manifold and cooling streams. At high speeds this would be immediate. The fluid, though would be water not coolant.

You mentioned coolant? Are you low on coolant, because that is a separate glycol based loop going to the ride plate. They are not related so if you are low on coolant, that would be a different system.
the 70's were from the console but it was flying....I would say on the water side. need to look into it yet. It was full of coolant before the hose came off...about replace all coolant and give it a test. was hoping to know if there is anything I can check to get error codes or look for?

72 kilometers per hour = 44.73873 miles per hour

Stupid metric system that the rest of the world uses, but not America.

the 70's were from the console but it was flying....I would say on the water side. need to look into it yet. It was full of coolant before the hose came off...about replace all coolant and give it a test. was hoping to know if there is anything I can check to get error codes or look for?
Can you send a picture? Sounds like the hose that come off was to the ride plate, which is on the closed loop coolant side not the intercooler.

This is why you see coolant as there is nothing but air an water in the intercooler.

It also would explain the temp alarms as the temp would go high very fast if the coolant line let go.

Can you send a picture? Sounds like the hose that come off was to the ride plate, which is on the closed loop coolant side not the intercooler.

This is why you see coolant as there is nothing but air an water in the intercooler.

It also would explain the temp alarms as the temp would go high very fast if the coolant line let go.

The 210 has 2 side mounted heat exchangers. The ride plates are simply plastic and do not carry any coolant in them. The hoses are pretty visible when looking in the engine compartment.

Copious: Post a pic of this hose you're talking about. Also some pics of the intercooler please.

Oh wow. At first I thought my Speedster 200 510 was doing something seriously wrong only getting 62ish gps, but ya thinking about it speedo says over 70 as well. Never really look at it as it’s always 15-20% higher than actual.
* sorry don’t have any real help here. But def interested in the answer

Thanks all - redid all the hoses and seems to be all good. doing the fun job of pulling out the superchargers now....should have started yoga I think.

There is oil in the exhaust thou that is the next thing to track down.

you got it all correct...I don't now Sh*t but having to work it all out fast without any shops.

Thanks all - redid all the hoses and seems to be all good. doing the fun job of pulling out the superchargers now....should have started yoga I think.

Take the intake off and lay a blanket on the engine for some cushion. Makes it much easier to access.

I totally know the seadoo boat yoga. For me the hardest part is the rough fiberglass edges around the engine cutout.

I was actually thinking of rigging my creeper off of my tractor bucket to lay right in there.

Never thought of taking the intake off.

I totally know the seadoo boat yoga. For me the hardest part is the rough fiberglass edges around the engine cutout.

I was actually thinking of rigging my creeper off of my tractor bucket to lay right in there.

I dont have anymore rough fiberglass left in my boat in the engine compartment, its all been embedded in my hands.

Two 10mm bolts, 2 wire connectors to rectifier, and a couple of rubber straps and the entire intake is off. Takes less than 2 mins to remove the intake. I remove the intake every time I change the oil, filter, and plugs.

getting 62ish gps, but ya thinking about it speedo says over 70 as well. Never really look at it as it’s always 15-20% higher than actual.

I believe there’s a calibration adjustment on the stand-alone analog speedometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back