Did you miss me?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Dr Honda

Hi guys,

Yep... I was gone from Friday morning, until Sunday. I was on one of my non-seadoo adventures. This one was flying some of my RC jets.

It was a good time getting away from the shop, and my screaming kids, and doing nothing but flying RC stuff.

Combined... I bet we burnt over 100 gallons of Jet-A. Some of these big engines burn fuel faster than a big seadoo. (lol) My biggest engine will fly for around 6 minutes on 90 oz of fuel.

The entire weekend only had a few mishaps. There was a few flame-outs... and a couple landing gear issues... but there was only one hard crash... but it was a smaller model.

Here's some pics of the weekend. The first pic is the junk I brought. My ShockJet, and my little T-45.

313.jpg

314.jpg

315.jpg

316.jpg

317.jpg

318.jpg

319.jpg

320.jpg

321.jpg

322.jpg

323.jpg

That is really super cool.

What kind if speeds do these things reach?

Glad you got away. It is always nice to have a break. Though I wasn't away, I had a VERY hard week of flying and don't get to the forum much this week.

Dr. Honda,
I fly RC helicopters and airplanes also. I have flown a few RC turbine Helis, but do not own any.
Way cool

Terry

NICE, is this an old runway that's abandoned or do you "rent" it for the day?

It's an active "Uncontrolled" airport. We listen to the radio... and when a full sized aircraft calls in... We land for them. But, the entire weekend... only 5 or 6 planes came in.

That is really super cool.

What kind if speeds do these things reach?

Glad you got away. It is always nice to have a break. Though I wasn't away, I had a VERY hard week of flying and don't get to the forum much this week.

the AMA limits the top speed in the USA to 200 mph. But, the record right now is around 440 mph. Honestly... most of these models will run between 150 to 200 without an issue. The red and yellow model of mine will still get to 150. It's boxy and the landing gear are always hanging down. (so high drag) It's supposed to fly on 14 Lbs of thrust... but I have a 22 Lb thrust engine in it. Honestly... if I held the throttle open... I'd just rip the wing off. (lol)

My little T-45 will reach the 200 mph mark. It was originally designed for an electric fan unit. (EDF) it's wet, flying weight is just at 9 lbs, and it has a 10 Lb thrust engine. (so better than 1:1) The only drawback is... it's so small, that you can only hold the throttle for a few seconds before it turns into a little dot in the sky.

Dr. Honda,
I fly RC helicopters and airplanes also. I have flown a few RC turbine Helis, but do not own any.
Way cool

Terry

Yep... RC is addictive. I've been building and flying since I was 8 years old. I'm now 42, and it's always been my "Go to" hobby when I need to escape.

325.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The only drawback is... it's so small, that you can only hold the throttle for a few seconds before it turns into a little dot in the sky.

Thats funny.. But i can see how that could be an expensive mistake... LOL

150 to 200 MPH on average is a pretty impressive number..

What is the material of the planes made of in most cases.

I could see where the joints need to be assembled VERY well and with a quality adhesive..

The only drawback is... it's so small, that you can only hold the throttle for a few seconds before it turns into a little dot in the sky.

Thats funny.. But i can see how that could be an expensive mistake... LOL

Yep. RC turbine jets are the expensive end of the hobby. The big FA-18 that the guy is holding his head. (above) I bet he has at least $10k into it.

Most of my stuff was done on a budget. (like my Seadoo's) I buy used engines, and inexpensive airframes. But... I still have $1500 (give or take) into each.

150 to 200 MPH on average is a pretty impressive number..

What is the material of the planes made of in most cases.

I could see where the joints need to be assembled VERY well and with a quality adhesive..

Most of glues we use are the same that are used in full scale aircraft. (like HySol, and Westsytem epoxy) Also, some of these models are made from the same high-end composites. (Kevlar, Carbon fiber, and honeycomb glass) But, my models are a mix of regular fiberglass, aluminum, and wood. My T-45 and Falcon have a fiberglass fuselage, and a wood wing, covered in plastic film. (just like any other RC airplane) My ShockJet is balsa, and plywood... just like a regular prop plane.

So... they don't have to be high-tech to be fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr Honda,
My everyday flyer is a 96" profile with a DA 50cc gasser swinging a 23x8 prop. Not very fast compared to jets but very agile and lots of fun
I bet that T45 become a speck in a hurry, the diamond dust at 145mph will disappear in a few seconds
I took a 31" electric fast boat to the lake with my Challenger, it Is faster than my seadoo. Wife drives the people boat I try to keep up with the RC boat. Most time I succeed and pass the seadoo

Back