Dewinterizing Seadoo Islandia

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

leo111

So let me first state that yes, I am a rookie boater...but very interested in learning as much as possible.

With that said - here is my question for the pros:

I purchased my boat in a winterized state in November 2010. The 2011 summer (last summer) was my first year and it was awesome, no problems what-so-ever! Being a rookie boater, I called a boat mechanic store in my region prior to my first boating season and said that I wanted to get my boat ready for the season and dewinterized. So it was done and I was charged $250 +/-. No big deal. So I found another boat "store" that was much closer since then. I had the new "store" winterize the boat after this past season and they charged around $180 +/-. Great! So now here I am getting ready for the 2012 season and called this store that winterized the boat to dewinterize the boat and he said that I didnt need to do anything to it. He said that they use a biodegradeable fuel stabilizer/anti-freeze and that they fogged the engine to winterize it. He said the fogged engine may smoke a little when I first start it but other than that he said hook up the batteries and drop it in and go. I sounded like an idiot because I'm on the other line (a rookie mind you) saying "Well I dont know, I just want you to dewinterize it" not really knowing what all is entailed in that. And the "store" is saying well what all do you want me to do to it...I DONT KNOW...just dewinterize the dang thing...whatever that means. Don't I need to get an oil change or replace oil filters or something...something doen't sound right to me. I don't want to trailer the boat somewhere (1.5 hrs away) to be dead in the water or sink for that matter.

Any responses at all would be great!! Thanks in advance guys!!

Leo

The shop is right, there is really nothing special you need to do to de-winterize the 2-strokes. Two main things:
1. charge the battery and hook it up to the boat
2. fill the gas tank with fresh gas and top off the 2-stroke oil tank with the correct oil for your boat

Next hook up the hose to your boat, per the instructions for the mercury engines (I don't have one so not sure how to do it) and start the engine. Let it run for a few minutes to make sure everything is good. It will smoke the first minute or so b/c the cylinder fogging oil is burning off. After it is run for a few minutes shut it off, check and lube all the mechanical cables and levers. Clean it up and hit the water.

This might be overkill, but I would probably also replace the spark plugs after the first start up as a yearly task. I do it in my boat b/c the fogging oil can sometimes foul the plugs a bit.

Hope this helps a bit and sets your mind at ease. I don't (and have never) own one of the mercury boats so other folks may have some additional advise. Good luck!

Devonte is 100% correct.

I'm pulling mine out this weekend. (240hp Merc) Charge the batteries, and top off with fresh fuel, and go. On many two-strokes, I will try to run one tank of fuel through before changing the plugs. But on this Merc, the plugs have been fine for a couple seasons. Plugs are cheap, so it does not hurt anything at all.

I think that first dealer you went to, pulled one on you. There is no real service in the spring. Having a good winterization in the fall by a mechanic that knows the Mercs is valuable though.

Have fun this summer!

I was just about to respond that I wonder what the HECK the first dealer was doing to the boat when he charged me $250 to "dewinterize" the boat....lesson learned.

Next:

1.) How do you charge the batteries?
2.) How/where/what kind with regard to changing the spark plugs?
3.) Is there a marine lube to use on the mechanical cables/levers and where are they located?

Who knows, half the "winterization" process is replacing a couple lubricants in the pump. One being some oil around the stator. So my guess is he got in there and did that. It's not a bad thing as you may not have known when this was done last from the previous owner.

When I bought my X-20, I had full service records and talked to the dealer who performed the service. This was unexpected as a used boat buyer so it added another level of comfort.

My current dealer services Mercury outboards and BRP products, so he rattled off all the things that should be done to the Merc powered SeaDoos. So I got lucky on both counts.

The service manual can be downloaded in a number of places in PDF format. Do some searching. I would email it to you, but it is quite large. (19MB) The spec for the plugs is in there. The 240 merc used NGK BPZ8HS-10 plugs with a 0.040 in (1.0mm) gap. There are six and they are in a V-formation top to bottom. If you have not looked under the hood yet, it is an outboard motor on a jet pump, not a laydown V6!

Charge the "Battery" as you would any cranking battery. I say Batteries, as many of us have gone to a two battery system with isolator so that we can run our electronics off of a deep cycle battery and not kill our cranking battery when coming in off a day on the sandbar with music.

Lots of good info on this forum, so post up those questions when you have them!

Have fun!

Also check out the Mercury Forum rather than the 4-tec forum. We are the red-headed step children of the BRP world, so we have our own place on this forum.

(smile)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back