Challenger 180 - Poor Start when Hot

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
So I thought I would post this just in case anyone else comes across this issue.

Late last season I noticed when I had the boat out on the water, it would take quite a few attempts to get the engine started after it had been running a while. As it was the end of the season (here in Canada), I decided it might be the plugs or something and winterized and put to bed for the winter. Fast forward to this season and the same issue happened again (after changing plugs etc after winter). Doing the flooded start procedure seemed to help. When I pulled the plugs and looked down the bores, I noticed in one of the cylinders (one closest to the bow), there was a pool of water (1/8th deep ish and it wasn't coolant).

So I decided to remove the internal intercooler to see if it was leaking water, after a quick pressure check, it was good. Then I decided to remove the exhaust manifold and found a small hole from a crack/corrosion on the flange where it joins to the exhaust clamp. So what was basically happening was that when the boat was running, there was enough back pressure to keep the water flowing down the exhaust, but when the engine was shut down, the exhaust manifold filled with water from the outer jacket and flooded what ever cylinder.

I guess I'm lucky it didn't hydrolock and cause more damage, although time will tell. So I just wanted to point out my problem if any of you are having issues with hot starts or water in a cylinder which is not coolant. Maybe you have a similar issue.

I believe my boat originated in Florida so based on the crack/corrosion, I wonder if the owner flushed the system after each use.

Anyway, now I'm after a new or used exhaust manifold for a 2007 Challenger 180 and any leads would be helpful!

Attachments

• IMG_2888.JPG
    IMG_2888.JPG
    275.6 KB · Views: 15
Back