Degreasing engine make it rust?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevlh20

I completely tore apart my engine and put parts in degreaser. I took the parts out to dry would this make the bearings or other parts rust?

Depending on what the parts are. Bearings that have grease on them should be greased and re-installed. If you have them good and dry and no moisture on them then they should be ok. I always apply grease on anything that needs it and reinstall them so it won't get forgotten and form condensation and then rust. Crank bearings depend on the 2 stroke oil for lubrication. It really depends on what the bearings are for.
Karl

Lithium

If your going to leave your engine apart for any prolonged period of time, or your going to rebuild one, spray or rub a light coat of Lithium grease on. Lithium is the best inhibitor of moisture that you can get and it easily protects your bearings on start-up. Best part is the oil and fuel mix will slowly disolve it over a short period of time. You can't beat it. It's not listed in your manual, but neither is WD-40 but we all use it.

No....

No, not in a short period of time. Rust is a chemical reaction to the surfaces of iron and steel becoming damp. When iron and steel get wet, the surface reacts with oxygen in the air and the water (usually rainfall). An acid is then formed by dirt and dust mixing with the chemical reaction caused by dampness and this acid eats away at the steel and iron, thus creating rust.
http://www.blurtit.com/q292135.html.
So it will depend on what part of the country your in and the amount of time your going to leave these parts exposed to the atmosphere.

uh... rule of thumb...if you not going to re-install it right away...always protect it with something.

I agree....

Well, I certainly agree with you on that Karl.....but he asks if he cleans the parts with degreaser and leaves them out to dry. He's not asking to leave them out for a week, if I'm understanding his post right. But like you said, if your going to leave metal surfaces exposed to the ambient atmosphere, then you should put some type (lithium) protectant on them.

Too many times projects don't get finished right away and next thing you know it's 2 weeks later...

I know what ya mean!

I agree….I’ve got two in the fire now and having to add more firewood to keep them going. I hope to get my gasket kit for the Challenger this coming week. I’m tired of looking at bare pistons (not to mention I can’t start it to hear it run).

It seems to the human way ...family ... job...toys...pets...they all get in the way of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back