Dealer says use the blended oil

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MTadros

I purchased a 2005 rxp sc with 68 hours this week for $4400!!! I want to change the oil, went to Barneys in St. Pete and they sold me the Maintenance and oil change kit:
1 gallon of summer grade semi synthetic oil
filter
o-rings
3 plugs
I paid $60. Is this a good kit and is this the right oil???? I am so confused, is semi synthetic the wrong stuff????

What washers are on the Super Charger? If it has the old style (Ceramic) you need to run Mineral oil as the synthetic oil is not recommended. Did you purchase the seadoo from Barneys? If so they might have record of what washers are in it if they changed them.

Karl

The original washers are still on, ceramic. They do not sell the straight mineral oil anymore and reccomend the blend now. Apparently the only issues with these supercharger washers is people were putting synthetic oil in or people were getting water into the systems, either by trailing without pinching, flushing but turning the water on prior to starting the engine.

I haven't heard of a water flooding issue causing the problem...but synthetic oil issues I have heard lots of problems. Wave jumping and holding the throttle wide open and the sudden surge into the water will cause washer problems too. If the dealer recommends it, see how it goes. I trust Barny's service dept. better than any other. $60.00 is a good price for the oil change kit.

Karl

the new synthetic blend oil and okay to use on all supercharged engines, I ran into the same problem having the old ceramic washers, I called PPG in florida and they told me that the mineral and full synthetic oil from BRP is no longer, and the only oil BRP is making is this sythetic blend. But I went a step further when buying my o6' sportster preowned with only 34 hours on it, I pulled the charger and replaced the ceramic's with steel riva's and used the blend oil, but you would be okay with the blend on the ceramic's.

Instead of using BRP oil, you can use Amsoil 10w-40 Marine 4-stroke. It exceeds BRP specifications for SC engines, as well as the NA 4-strokes. My ski's only have 30 hours on them I've replaced my SC ceramic washers with the RIVA metal ones and am running Amsoil.

ETA: With 68 hours, I'd go ahead and pull the SC and switch to the RIVA metal washers. Why chance something severe happening to your engine with the ceramics? Remember, @ 100 hours +/-, the SC will need to be rebuilt, so depending on how much you ride this season, you might want to plan that into your maintenance schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the Amsoil synthetic or blend? Who reccomends re-building th supercharger at 100 hours? If I do not trail the ski, flush correctly, use thr right oil, the SC should run just fine, right?

BRP position

MT,

BRP's position is they now recommend you rebuild the supercharger every 100 hours regardless of care. maintenance etc....I hate it but it is what it is.

When the time comes for me I intend on writing a blog on the experience. We as a community here should get very good at this procedure.

Craig

Is the Amsoil synthetic or blend? Who reccomends re-building th supercharger at 100 hours? If I do not trail the ski, flush correctly, use thr right oil, the SC should run just fine, right?

The Amsoil is a synthetic, but it does not contain the friction inhibitors that lead to the premature wearing/disintegration of the ceramics. There is a TSB (publishes in 2007) from Amsoil that addresses the BRP SC washer's specificially. I have it on my computer at home, and will post a link when I can access it, but you can go to their website, or do a google search for it.

Change the washers now or at least do some searches on 4tec washer failure and make your own decision.

I personally couldnt stand owning a ticking time bomb and swapped my 06 C180 to metal washers.

The newest oil from SeaDoo says right on the bottle that it is approved for all supercharger applications. Why would you use spamsoil and take the chance?

KH

Do we have access to detailed step by step instructions on how to replace the superchager washers/parts for a 2005 and/or 2006 RXP? The 05 has 84 hours and the 06 has 26 hours.

If you go to Riva's website, there are detailed instructions on how to remove and replace the washers with torque specifications and what not. PM me for more details if you'd like.

As for using BRP vs. Amsoil, that's a personal choice. I, along with numerous other SC watercraft owners, run Amsoil as it is more effective that BRP oil and it allows you to realize significant cost savings. To call it 'spamsoil' is misleading and arbitrary. Many boaters, not just seadoo/seadoo sport boat owners (read: Mercury, Yamaha, etc) use Amsoil for its consistent and high quality and price point compared to high cost manufacturers' oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back