Is this the right oil for a 1996 SPX? So confused…

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

82cabby

I’m sorry gang but I read every thread I could find and I’m still confused. I need to order the right oil for our 1996 SPX.
Is this the right stuff: Quicksilver full synthetic PWC marine engine oil even though it doesn’t say anything about API TC but DOES say specifically PWC

or should I get this: Lucas Oil. Which says it exceeds API TC?

Or this one: XPS which specifically says Seadoo Rotax engines but not API TC?

sorry I know it’s been asked before but I really don’t want to mess up this engine. Any help or links you can provide would be appreciated

Thanks!

Run the Lucas, it is the same as all the others and cheaper. I run the Synthetic Blend at $26 a gallon. Even that exeeds any oil made 25 years ago. No need to riterate how many people run outboard oil or even car oil. :D Your $$. None of it will blow up your ski. :) Good Luck !

Yes, Lucas is fine.
The Quicksilver PWC oil is also fine as it is JASO which exceeds API/TC. I use on all 4 Seadoos.

The full synthetic is recommended if you have an engine with Rave valves. Supposed to keep them cleaner.

Every ski that I have purchased this year, I asked the PO which oil they had been using and all have been using the Quick PWC which is the reason I use the Quicksilver.

But as etemplet has said. Any of the oils surely exceed what the old skis were using.

Last edited:
Jesus Christ get seadoo oil and use a search next time

Thanks everyone for you help. I appreciate it. I’m going with the quicksilver. Believe it or not, searching through all the threads is confusing when you’re not well versed in all the different Seadoo models. I’m pretty decent with automotive engines, but two cycles not so much. Thanks for again for all the help.

We have been racing for decades, on our 800 cc LTD,,,it revs at 7700,,,and is run HARD,,( world championship in 04, and 05, at havasu 800 cc LTD expert),,we use pure synthetic 2 stroke oil,,,period,,,it is not BRP!,,,we have never seized because if the oil,,,
BRP...does not make oil..I don't know who makes their oil?,,,.Once upon a time,,had the deal of a century,,,my walmart (canada) ,,had synthetic skidoo 2 stroke oil,,,7 litres for $ 35.00...middle if the winter,,,should have bought 5 containers!

We have been racing for decades, on our 800 cc LTD,,,it revs at 7700,,,and is run HARD,,( world championship in 04, and 05, at havasu 800 cc LTD expert),,we use pure synthetic 2 stroke oil,,,period,,,it is not BRP!,,,we have never seized because if the oil,,,
BRP...does not make oil..I don't know who makes their oil?,,,.Once upon a time,,had the deal of a century,,,my walmart (canada) ,,had synthetic skidoo 2 stroke oil,,,7 litres for $ 35.00...middle if the winter,,,should have bought 5 containers!
Wow! Congratulations on your success! I can see where engines operating at 7700 rpm would need the absolute best.

I’m sorry gang but I read every thread I could find and I’m still confused. I need to order the right oil for our 1996 SPX.
Is this the right stuff: Quicksilver full synthetic PWC marine engine oil even though it doesn’t say anything about API TC but DOES say specifically PWC

or should I get this: Lucas Oil. Which says it exceeds API TC?

Or this one: XPS which specifically says Seadoo Rotax engines but not API TC?

sorry I know it’s been asked before but I really don’t want to mess up this engine. Any help or links you can provide would be appreciated

Thanks!
Low ash synthetic oils are recommended for engines with Rave Valves. These oils help prevent soot buildup in the valves to prevent them from sticking. But! If you are mechanically inclined and can clean the valves on a regular basis most oils will work. That being said I would still recommend a low ash oil even in a dino blend.

Use any 2 stroke oil syn non syn it doesn't matter.with rave valves if you do alot of idling then once a year or every 20 hrs clean then easy to do.all the oils today are good.i have a pro stock 1000 triple sled and an 800 pro stock.and can't count how many times I've used 10w40 in it and my 800 turns 10300 rpms and gets held there for 10 seconds and another 5 seconds with the throttle closed and motor coming down it's an asphalt sled

Use any 2 stroke oil syn non syn it doesn't matter.with rave valves if you do alot of idling then once a year or every 20 hrs clean then easy to do.all the oils today are good.i have a pro stock 1000 triple sled and an 800 pro stock.and can't count how many times I've used 10w40 in it and my 800 turns 10300 rpms and gets held there for 10 seconds and another 5 seconds with the throttle closed and motor coming down it's an asphalt sled
And never had an oil related problem and the thing has been together for a long time

Thank you gang for the replies! I am assuming the 96 SPX has Rave valves?
I don’t do a ton of idling, and frankly we used to use it several times a summer but the kids grew up and went to college and it’s been 5 years since we ran it. Fortunately I stored it properly and after a little TLC it’s up and running again. We plan to take it on a weeks vacation shortly and it will get a lot of use so I want to treat it right.
Thanks everyone for all the info!

Thank you gang for the replies! I am assuming the 96 SPX has Rave valves?
I don’t do a ton of idling, and frankly we used to use it several times a summer but the kids grew up and went to college and it’s been 5 years since we ran it. Fortunately I stored it properly and after a little TLC it’s up and running again. We plan to take it on a weeks vacation shortly and it will get a lot of use so I want to treat it right.
Thanks everyone for all the info!
If it has back caps with red knobs right above where exhaust comes out then it has rave valves.but don't think 96 spx had a 787 motor think it was a 717 in it only 787 and 951 had rave valves

Thanks Poorman,,,racing is expensive,,,we are on premix,,,of course,,, for decades here in canada we have been using shell nautilus 2 stroke synthetic that we buy at Canadian tire,,,but now and then,,,our local walmart has a great deal,

Thanks Poorman,,,racing is expensive,,,we are on premix,,,of course,,, for decades here in canada we have been using shell nautilus 2 stroke synthetic that we buy at Canadian tire,,,but now and then,,,our local walmart has a great deal,
Yes it is but is a blast just trying to get a tenth of a second is months trying to find lol.and expensive to get.have not raced in a few years but they are sitting and waiting

My my son now retired, a father doesn't race,,,,,and I race in windsor,,,bell river for fun,,like to beat some of the young guns,,,lol,,,and I like watkins glen,,great site,,,,but because of covid tyranny in canada,,can't go,,,and there us no class for a 72 year old racerLOL!!?,, but the boat keeps going,,,slightly detuned of course,,,race gas up here ontario is $15,00/gallon,

My my son now retired, a father doesn't race,,,,,and I race in windsor,,,bell river for fun,,like to beat some of the young guns,,,lol,,,and I like watkins glen,,great site,,,,but because of covid tyranny in canada,,can't go,,,and there us no class for a 72 year old racerLOL!!?,, but the boat keeps going,,,slightly detuned of course,,,race gas up here ontario is $15,00/gallon,
Gas is the same down here I have family in Frederick on the chatiak river.i no I spelt it wrong.the lived right across a big marina where the held f1 boat races years ago last time I was there a guy hit the bridge long time ago

Racing is in our blood no matter what,,,my son loved me chasing him when he could only crawl,,little did I/we know he.would race at havasu 24 years later,,,,and now,,,i still love the competition of being on the line,,,,,,just trying to not be last is my goal,,,and if course not falling off on the back stretch...lol

I remember a lot of seized two-stroke engines at the race track. Racers would close the throttle at high RPM going into a corner... no fuel... no oil.... boom !!! Done for the day. Had to set the idle kinda high to stop that from happening.

Yes, Lucas is fine.
The Quicksilver PWC oil is also fine as it is JASO which exceeds API/TC. I use on all 4 Seadoos.

The full synthetic is recommended if you have an engine with Rave valves. Supposed to keep them cleaner.

Every ski that I have purchased this year, I asked the PO which oil they had been using and all have been using the Quick PWC which is the reason I use the Quicksilver.

But as etemplet has said. Any of the oils surely exceed what the old skis were using.
Where did you see that JASO exceeds API/TC? I have been looking around and couldn't find anything on this matter. I have found several oils that are JASO but few that are API/TC, would be nice if I could use the JASO stuff.

Brp oil is made by quaker state When we ordered a couple barrels they came on pallets with quaker state branded on pallets
Great info. I always wondered who's brand this was under. :) Not many people know that the oil we buy is a package, a special blend. Just like going to Smoothie King.... what's in there. :) It doesn't matter who blends the specific oil t as long as it meets the requirements. Of course, kinda like opinions... this is junk, this is great,.... LOL True it true even if nobody believes, it. :) It's all marketing. Run what ya brung !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back