Oils for 2 different SeaDoos

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
I have two SeaDoos--one a 1996 GTS 5817, and the one I just purchased is a 1998 GSX Limited Edition. My question is about which oils are going to meet the manufacturer specs without breaking the bank.

I understand the full synthetic API TC oil from Bombardier is recommended for the GSX. I think a conventional (mineral) oil is OK for the GTS?

The XPS oil is now nearly $70/gallon--which is up about $25 from the last time I purchased it--so I'm looking for a different, less expensive alternative that won't harm my skis.

Is this Castrol snowmobile oil a viable alternative to the XPS oil? Castrol 2T Synthetic Snowmobile Oil 2T Formula 1 Gallon 15B74F | O'Rei. Everything about it sounds like it meets the API TC requirement. But the marketing language about it being engineered for cold weather use has me wondering if it's specially designed for a snowmobile engine.

I also don't want to be the first person to try this out--as my GSX has a newly rebuilt engine in it, and I don't want to damage it right away this spring. Any others who have used Castrol in their SeaDoo? Or if not, any other suggestions on a more affordable oil. I want to pick one and go with it so I don't have to worry about mixing of different brands in the tank in the future.

Last edited:
I definitely would not recommend a mineral oil. Every recommended oil is full synthetic API-TC.

I don't know about the Castrol.

I have been using shell nautilus synthetic in my race 800 for years,,,7700 rpm, sometimes walmart has it on sale.

Back