Oil overfill

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

vegaschef364

I have a 2001 GTX Bombardier with the rotax DI. I was adding oil to it and thought it was more empty than it was and it came up to the fill hole and I stopped. Within 30 seconds or so it had gone back down below the hole where I could see it before. I tried starting it and just got a click, no beeps or anything else. I know that overfilling a regular engine is not good, but with these since it mixes the oil and fuel on its own why would it matter how full it is? Doesn't it just release a certain amount as the engine is running? And since it did get overfilled what should I do at this point. I am planning on siphoning out some of the oil since it is in the water and not easy to take out at this time, also going to replace the plugs, anything else? Also curious on the oil, I keep reading different answers, and will probably get the same here. The oil I used all of last year and continue to use is the Quicksilver PWC 2 stroke Full synthetic, have read posts where other people use it, as well as people saying not to use it. I have read that it has to say API-TC, meet the latest ASTM and JASO standards and that TC-W3 is not ok. This does not say API-TC, or TC-w3, but it does say it meets the standards, of course they could be lying but it seems to be a popular brand so wouldn't think they would be able to get away with lying for long, but curious what other people use. And thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• wr-oil.jpeg
    wr-oil.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 9
The oil has nothing to do with the starting issue. No need to siphon the oil out. I would check the battery.

I've only used brp XPS oil.

Oh yeah, should have mentioned. Put in a new battery, one that had to be filled and charged. Did that, charged it overnight, put it in tried starting and same thing, tried turning and stopped, at load it dropped down to 7.5v, got another new battery that came charged, tested at 12.8v same thing, haven't had a chance to load test it yet though. I did go through a pretty good wave the night before, didn't submerge the ski but enough that it knocked my shades off. But checked the box in the back and it is sealed and dry inside. Haven't gone through fuses in the front though. I did pull the plugs and they are clean

Wondering if it could be the starter, not sure where it is though. I have been trying to find a good diagram of the engine and components but have not had much luck. Anybody know of a good link with something like that? I have the Operators Guide but it includes all of the models and doesn't seem to have a decent pic, unless I am missing something.

Looking like it's the starter. I pulled off the air intake tank and got down in there and tapped it a couple times with a hammer and it turned over. Thank you for the manual link, after looking through it, it said for that engine when replacing the starter drive assembly the magneto flywheel must be removed. Any idea on that?

That oil is not API-TC Full synthetic which is critical in a Di seadoo. Get the correct oil!

It sure sounds like a bad battery if it is going below 12V when cranking.

If you have an OEM starter just replace the brushes, do not buy a junk aftermarket starter.

It did turn out to be the starter, I got a new one and started right up. I am holding on to the old one and will see if I can fix it, but only have a couple weeks with the ski so will deal with it later. But in terms of the oil, it is not going to hurt anything if I run it now? Have only tested the starter, have not really pushed it. Also I have heard the BRP XPS oil, as well as the lucas marine are ok to use, any other brand?

Glad you have it all sorted out.

I have only heard of the XPS and Lucas meeting the required standards lately.

With regards to the harm that the wrong oil can cause. I personally prefer to roll with what the manufacturer recommends to avoid any legal liability 🙂

Sorry, I meant any harm in regards to having too much oil in the reservoir. From what I can tell it is filled up almost to the top of the tube that goes from the fill cap to the tank.

Good to know. So got it starting now, but it dies right after starting. If I give it throttle it keeps running but dies as soon as I let off. It is my brother in laws, our family has a place in Missouri, Lake Ozarks we get together once a year. The sled is stored in a garage here, Fill tank with gas and put stabilizer in it for winter. I just happened to get here a week before them so I get the fun task of getting it ready. Similar thing happened last year, it would start then die. I changed the plugs and added a bit of Heet, came to the conclusion that maybe a bit of water got into the fuel over winter. Wondering if that might be the same issue this year, pulled the plugs and they looked fine though. Is it ok to add some Heet? Now that I have had the pleasure of dealing with this 2 years in a row, reading tons of posts and watching videos, I probably know more about it than my BIL. I am looking into buying one of my own, but after my experience with this one, and what I've read is that these GTX DI can really be a pain, a lot of the time. Any suggestions for a used one $3k price range? Don't need anything fancy, just reliable and powerful enough to pull a 2 person tube. I'm no expert mechanic but pretty good with tools and a video, so I don't mind getting my hands dirty. Thanks for all the advice also, I have learned a lot in a short time, not just with my post but throughout the forum, I know how much work it can be keeping up with all the posts.

Back