Clean those fuel/water separating filters...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
My 96XP got its first good workout last weekend. It would run fine except at WOT, where it would just not get into its higher RPM's. Adding throttle above about halfway had no effect - no bogging, no coughing, just half-throttle performance. Every once in a while the engine would indeed rev up to max RPM's but it would only last a few seconds and then we'd be right back to mid-throttle behavior.

I checked the RAVE's and they had nice, free movement. I checked the water regulator - nice, free movement and no indications of leaks. My next thought was that @#$@#% rectifier/regulator module (which I've replaced twice already - why can't Seadoo OEM a decent part?) so I disconnected the red output wire as a test. While I was under the front hood, I saw the fuel/water separating filter and figured I might as well empty it too.

On-water performance was back to normal. (I thought: "Darned rotten rectifier module, there goes another $70.") But since I had changed two things, I wanted to be sure, so I reconnected it - and performance remained solid! The only change that remained in place at this point was the emptied filter.

My presumption is that the filter got enough water in it to restrict the flow of gasoline. The engine would run fine up to half throttle, but above that the filter just couldn't flow enough fuel to keep up with engine demands. That means when I was WOT during my tests I was running lean. Glad I didn't just try to "power through" the problem!

Moral of the story: There's a reason the manual says to periodically empty those filters. Just do it.

You could have steel gas can trash in there so clean it every couple months, use a dab of grease on the seal so it can not skid to the side and let air leak in causing a leanout, if you have gray lines then plan a day of replacement and clean out those tiny basket filters inside the varbs.

You could have steel gas can trash in there so clean it every couple months, use a dab of grease on the seal so it can not skid to the side and let air leak in causing a leanout, if you have gray lines then plan a day of replacement and clean out those tiny basket filters inside the varbs.

Good advice, which I already follow. Fuel lines were replaced within days of me buying this used machine several years ago, along with a complete cleanout of all fuel system parts. Also, the carbs are regularly rebuilt using nothing but genuine Mikuni rebuild kits, including the internal carb filters.

Thanks!

Got to love Pumping Dirty Gas From the PUMP..

As ARE GAS SUCKS.. it's dirty

So you need to keep a eye on the filters

my .02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back