Carbon ring leaking excessively

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

bendoggie117

Just replaced both carbon rings in my skis (done this before and know how to do it correctly) however I put one of them in the water and with out turning the ski on it just started leaking right in between the stainless steel ring and carbon ring. The other ski doesn’t do this. I was wondering if it could correlate to an alignment issue? This ski has the engine more towards the front vs the other ski towards the rear. So the ski with the engine more rearwards…. It has more compression of the boot making a tighter fit for the stainless ring pushing against the carbon ring forming a tighter seal. They’re both 2006 GTX’s. Just want someone to comment if buying the alignment took is a waste of time or not

Why carbon rings leak?

1. Normal wear and tear
2. Factory faults
3. Overheating/lack of lubrication
4. Aged drive shaft boot
5. Engine misalignment/bent driveshaft

Pretty sure the tool does not set the engine in a front to back position just aligns.

Was it leaking before install?

If you think the drive line for some reason is out of alignment then yes.

I would think to a certain extent the carbon ring might self align if you “broke in” the ring by running it for awhile.

Last edited:
try a couple zip ties around the bellows to get more tension on the carbon ring. Also, I bought new carbon rings once and they were shorter than the originals, so that could be a factor in your lack of tension between your carbon ring and the SS ring

Push the boot ahead and tighten it back up , might help. The tool does measure the distance , but you need a manual that tells you where to put a mark on it to check. Maybe the boot is cracked ?? Did you change the two 'O' rings inside the hat ? Clip back in place ?

DRIVESHAFT wear question: I am replacing worn out Carbon Ring (the whole kit), but is this amount of driveshaft wear okay?
2013SeaDoo GTR 215 80-hours.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 23
That part of the shaft is tapered as it is the part that is in the bellow. You can see where the hat was with the line, this would be up against the carbon seal. The carbon seal seals on the face with the hat along with the o-rings on the shaft. They are machining marks just like the on other parts of the shaft.

The driveshaft looks great to me...

Again, the driveshaft should have nothing to contact it at that point of the shaft.

Back